Author Topic: Mithra Class WIP (Updated May 29th, 2010)  (Read 53735 times)

yanlou

Re: Mithra Class (Update 12/24/07!)
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2007, 10:03:53 PM »
thats loosk absolutly wicked, cant wait to see the textures for her

Offline Shadowknight1

• Cookies: 71
  • Star Trek Into Darkness
« Reply #21 on: December 25, 2007, 12:29:55 AM »
Slick!  And you even changed one of the things that was bugging me on the secondary hull, I didn't like how flat it was, but you made it look nice.  I can't wait to see this ship get dressed.

To Boldly Go...Again.

yanlou

« Reply #22 on: December 25, 2007, 05:51:40 AM »
shadowknight1 everything seems to bug you, i think it looked awesome the first time i saw it, and i still think it does and there was nothing wrong the secondary hull in the first place, its just been streamlined,

Offline rengers

• Cookies: 306
  • ship modeler
« Reply #23 on: December 25, 2007, 05:59:18 AM »
very original design, nice work you have done here :D
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Offline crazyhid

• Cookies: 1
« Reply #24 on: December 25, 2007, 01:30:25 PM »
i agree its an amazing design, U could actually see this being the new gen of fed ships, excellent work, im impressed

Asylum

« Reply #25 on: December 25, 2007, 08:09:50 PM »
nice job man, it looks great and i can see allot of work and thought has gone into it, if it was me though, id remove the cuts out of the necelles and make them indents, just an idea though man, go with the flow, looks great  :)

Offline Shadowknight1

« Reply #26 on: December 25, 2007, 09:13:09 PM »
shadowknight1 everything seems to bug you, i think it looked awesome the first time i saw it, and i still think it does and there was nothing wrong the secondary hull in the first place, its just been streamlined,

I know, I was just referring to where the back section of the secondary hull joined the nacelles, it was orignally flat there, now it's not, it looks better that way.  :P

To Boldly Go...Again.

Offline DJ Curtis

• Ship Builder
  • Cookies: 1410
  • I make ships.
« Reply #27 on: December 25, 2007, 09:17:31 PM »
If you're making this for BC, then you won't need those lifeboats to be modeled on.  That'll just be extra poly's that you don't really need.

Btw, I've gotta ask, what does 'Mithra' mean?  All I can think is 'Mothra', the giant nuclear moth that once battle Godzilla.

yanlou

« Reply #28 on: December 25, 2007, 09:55:44 PM »
(off topic)
mithra means this
"In Zoroastrianism, Mithra is a member of the trinity of ahuras, protectors of asha/arta, "truth" or "[that which is] right". Mithra's standard appellation is "of wide pastures" suggesting omnipresence. Mithra is "truth-speaking, ... with a thousand ears, ... with ten thousand eyes, high, with full knowledge, strong, sleepless, and ever awake." (Yasht 10.7). As preserver of covenants, Mithra is also protector and keeper of all aspects of interpersonal relationships, such as friendship and love.

Related to his position as protector of truth, Mithra is a judge (ratu), ensuring that individuals who break promises or are not righteous (artavan) are not admitted to paradise. As also in Indo-Iranian tradition, Mithra is associated with (the divinity of) the sun but originally distinct from it. Mithra is closely associated with the feminine yazata Aredvi Sura Anahita, the hypostasis of knowledge."

altho you could change it to mithras which is Graeco-Roman which means
"The name Mithra was adopted by the Greeks and Romans as Mithras, chief figure in the mystery religion of Mithraism. At first identified with the Sun-god Helios by the Greeks, the syncretic Mithra-Helios was transformed into the figure Mithras during the 2nd century BC, probably at Pergamon. This new cult was taken to Rome around the 1st century BC and was dispersed throughout the Roman Empire. Popular among the Roman military, Mithraism was spread as far north as Hadrian's Wall and the Germanic Limes."
(on topic)
id like to be the first ask, would it be ok if i beta tested it for you? when u get to the right stage
plus haveu decided on the specs for this beauty :D

Offline lint

• Cookies: 211
« Reply #29 on: December 25, 2007, 10:05:29 PM »
Mothra was one kick arse bug.  :lol:

yanlou

« Reply #30 on: December 26, 2007, 11:22:44 AM »
lol,

Offline Aeries

• Cookies: 226
« Reply #31 on: December 26, 2007, 05:39:00 PM »
Lol!
Thank you all SO much for everything, especially the history lesson on Mithra. I didn't know about any of that, I just thought it was a very pretty name.  :D Haha! All things considered, I think Mithra is perfect for this... so thanks. :)

Her specifications will be similar to DJ's Century Class, with a few upgrades, I'd imagine. This ship is primarily military-based, and as such, will be balanced to military needs. I think she'll be restricted to using nothing but quantum torpedo turrets, as photons are pretty outdated at this point. Her phaser arcs are going to be somewhat limited, similar to the Akira I suppose, with a rather.... impressive... coverage of Quantum torpedos.  I'm still not certain, though, it depends on what I pull out of my hat as I'm building this. As she sits, she's a heavy assault cruiser, slightly larger than the Enterprise F, but just as maneuverable.

ANYWAYS! I'm currently reconstructing the entire deflector array and soon going to rebuild the entire engineering section... it's WAY too high-poly and uselessly ugly, so that's getting a re-work soon. If anybody has any ideas on what type of ship you see this being, I'm open to ideas... the only certainty for me right now is that she's going to be FAST, and maneuverable... yet balanced enough to maintain a level of realism.

Anyways, it may be a while before I come up with another update. The deflector array and engineering hull is going to take me a while with all the details I want to integrate. OH! And DJ, thanks for the tip but I'd already considered that... I've realized as of late that your Century Class is about 20k polies, correct? Well... this is only about 12k polies and I know I can reduce that dramatically by re-building the engineering section. So I think that gives me a TONN of room to play around and add in a bunch of details that you'd normally only see as textures in BC. But who knows? I might only do them as textures, we'll just have to wait and see how this goes...

By the way, this will really be my very first time building textures from scratch, too, which is a VERY intimidating task, I must admit... I generally know the basics on how to start, but at the same time I'm nervous and clueless... interesting, huh? Anyways, we'll cross that bridge when we come to it. :) Thank you all SO much for the support and compliments! It means a whole lot.

Wish me luck! ^_^

-Aeries.

Edit:

Mithra to-do list:
-Touch-up escape pod shapes to match the sovy-style.
-Rebuild deflector dish and engineering section.
-Rebuild buzzard collectors.
-Add sensor pallet indentations along the edge of the saucer.
-Add sensor pallets to ventral saucer.
-Detail armor plating on dorsal saucer & engineering section.
-TEXTURE TIME!!!! O_O

Offline Shadowknight1

« Reply #32 on: December 27, 2007, 09:12:45 PM »
Wow.  That's a lot left to do.  If I may make a suggestion, stay away from modelling escape pods, especially if they're Sovereign type escape pods.  Those type of pods were level with the hull, and therefore wouldn't need to be modelled, only textured.  Plus, if you're doing sensor pallets, having only textured escape pods will keep your poly count low.

To Boldly Go...Again.

Offline Aeries

« Reply #33 on: December 27, 2007, 10:06:40 PM »
Hmm....
But... but... but....
Oh, fine, I don't like those huge boxes sitting there anyway... Okay, no more modeled escape pods... :'(

And yes, there's a HECK of a lot more to do! I'm a perfectionist, after all... don't know if I'll ever be truly happy with my own work; there's always more to be done. But what's on the list won't take TOO long. it's mainly the deflector and engineering section that'll take the time. The rest is pushing daisies, so to speak... IMO, it's not hard, just a little time consuming at times... pardon the redundancy.

Offline Shadowknight1

« Reply #34 on: December 27, 2007, 10:56:15 PM »
...Well, it was just a suggestion. >_>

And I know what you mean about not being happy with your own work.  Try being a writer, it's just as bad.

To Boldly Go...Again.

Offline Aeries

« Reply #35 on: December 28, 2007, 03:59:07 PM »
...Well, it was just a suggestion. >_>

And I know what you mean about not being happy with your own work.  Try being a writer, it's just as bad.

Oh gee, I'm even WORSE when I'm writing. I used to try to write stories a little while back and I was fairly good... but I could barely get a page written before I scrapped it all and started from scratch. :/

Just a quick little update, folks. I got the deflector finished this morning, but something went wrong when I exported the file in .OBJ format and I lost the whole model. Thankfully I have a backup in *.3DS format, but the deflector in the backup is unfinished and looks like crap, all things considered... and there are lots of problems with it for some messed up reason... like missing faces all of a sudden... girr... :(

Also, my new 512mb graphics card is giving me a few minor headaches...

Anyways, I have a lot more work ahead of me now than I had originally thought, with this giant brick that's landed on my head. :/ We'll see how it all goes...

-Aeries.

Offline Starforce2

• Master Hardpointer
  • Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 882
    • Facebook
« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2007, 02:29:09 AM »
I think you should rework the bussards. They look, I dunno..too complex, ugly, I dunno I don't really have any suggestions, other than to maybe simplyfy whats going on in the front of the nacelles a tad?
I just realised something. I've released over 300 fully modded ships for bridge commander. Bow to your master :D
Read my mod blog!
http://bcs-tng.com/forums/index.php?action=viewblog;u=1129

Offline Aeries

« Reply #37 on: December 29, 2007, 02:27:43 PM »
I think you should rework the bussards. They look, I dunno..too complex, ugly, I dunno I don't really have any suggestions, other than to maybe simplyfy whats going on in the front of the nacelles a tad?

Yeah, I've been trying to as of recent. I'll be returning to them once I get the new engineering section built. I really do hate the buzzards... They suck. :/

lol.

-Aeries.

Offline Aeries

« Reply #38 on: December 31, 2007, 02:41:15 AM »
I should have an update on the engineering section and main deflector dish soon... just to wet your whistle, so to speak, it's coming along amazingly! Much better than I originally thought, in fact. The ventral escape pods have been removed and I'll be removing the rest later on, probably after class tomorrow. The current poly count is just about 8k... which is a HUGE drop and I imagine it'll give me LOADS of room for little details I wanna work in. :D

In the mean time, from the pics I've uploaded before, I'd like some ideas. Not only for the model, but the ship itself; her role in Starfleet, armaments, etc. It would be very helpful. OH! And I imagine I'll need somebody to script this beast... eventually... so the info gathered here will go into a list for future reference. :/ I'm no good with numbers and letters and all that... stuff... ~_~ Confuses my poor little brain!!

So yes. ^_^;;... *awkward silence*

-Aeries.

Offline DJ Curtis

• Ship Builder
  • Cookies: 1410
  • I make ships.
« Reply #39 on: December 31, 2007, 02:50:45 AM »
scripting is easy with the MPE.  You can find it in the BC SDK.