Author Topic: Mithra Class WIP (Updated May 29th, 2010)  (Read 53732 times)

Offline Aeries

• Cookies: 226
Re: Mithra Class (Update 12/24/07!)
« Reply #40 on: December 31, 2007, 02:51:24 AM »
Thanks, I'll take a peak at it later on. :D

yanlou

« Reply #41 on: December 31, 2007, 08:16:08 AM »
hmm maybe for the role of the ship similiar to the akira a Heavy Cruiser [Defensive/Explorer/Diplomatic

Offline DJ Curtis

• Ship Builder
  • Cookies: 1410
  • I make ships.
« Reply #42 on: December 31, 2007, 09:53:00 AM »
But that role is already filled many times over.  This is a unique looking ship, I think it should have a unique role.  It should be very specialized.

Offline Aeries

« Reply #43 on: December 31, 2007, 01:15:58 PM »
But that role is already filled many times over.  This is a unique looking ship, I think it should have a unique role.  It should be very specialized.

Hmm... interesting how you word that. Any thoughts as to what areas she'd specialize in?

yanlou

« Reply #44 on: December 31, 2007, 06:23:10 PM »
erm.....ah how about a heavy frigate

Offline DJ Curtis

• Ship Builder
  • I make ships.
« Reply #45 on: December 31, 2007, 08:25:05 PM »
what I mean is, perhaps it could be designed for a very specific type of mission to a certain place, or something like that.

Offline Aeries

« Reply #46 on: December 31, 2007, 08:53:20 PM »
what I mean is, perhaps it could be designed for a very specific type of mission to a certain place, or something like that.

You mean like how Voyager was designed to navigate the Badlands?

Offline DJ Curtis

• Ship Builder
  • I make ships.
« Reply #47 on: December 31, 2007, 09:12:33 PM »
kind of, yeah.

Offline Aeries

« Reply #48 on: December 31, 2007, 09:23:41 PM »
Hmm...
Thanks for that thought, it's interesting to think about.
If you ever have a thought on exactly what that might be, though, let me know. :) I'll be working on the model tonight, so I'll be around... should have an update rather soon, if all goes well. :)

Offline Aeries

« Reply #49 on: January 01, 2008, 03:42:24 AM »
Finally have an update for you all!

I must admit, though, I think I did a hideous job... but I'll just see what you guys all think. Take note of the new impulse engines and aft torpedo launchers. Yes, I am aware of all the cr*p jobs I did in making the faces... dont know why, but they just don't love me like they ought to. >:( *huff*

But yes. New engineering section, deflector, and impulse engines. Got rid of the escape pods on the bottom of the saucer, but now it looks hideously plain... not sure what I'll do to spice that up, yet. O.o;

Anyways, I'm not sure I would call this "progress". I mean, it looks a little cleaner than it did, but something looks TERRIBLY off... and I really, REALLY don't want to go through the heck of rebuilding that engineering section yet again. :( I mean, I COULD, but... I just don't feel motivated to do so at the moment. I just want to wanna chug along, here! :D Haha!

So yeah. Constructive criticism would be marvelous. Thanks. :) And happy new years to all, by the way.

Now for pics...

Offline Vortex

• Modder in Learning
  • Cookies: 28
Re: Mithra Class (Update 01/01/08!)
« Reply #50 on: January 01, 2008, 06:41:28 AM »
Awesome dude!!

Loving the naccelles!

Offline Voyager16

• Modding is improving.
  • Cookies: 9
  • KM - Mod Team Member
« Reply #51 on: January 01, 2008, 07:04:23 AM »
Indeed; the naccelles look very good!

Offline rengers

• Cookies: 306
  • ship modeler
« Reply #52 on: January 01, 2008, 08:09:31 AM »
I like that ship very much, it has a total unique look, keep it up!
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

intrepid90

« Reply #53 on: January 01, 2008, 08:35:43 AM »
she looks like a fat monster :D
I like it :D

Offline DL Forsaken

• Cookies: 0
« Reply #54 on: January 01, 2008, 08:48:50 AM »
I actually Like the look of this ship :D

yanlou

« Reply #55 on: January 01, 2008, 10:13:43 AM »
i think i get what you mean DJ, lets see she should be designed as a break through ship,  its job will be a fast ship attack capable of weakening enemy lines and will be able to break through the enemys line if necessary, itll be just like cavalry, crap idea i know

Offline DJ Curtis

• Ship Builder
  • I make ships.
« Reply #56 on: January 01, 2008, 10:36:56 AM »
So yeah. Constructive criticism would be marvelous. Thanks. :)

Ok, you got it! :D

I think your dissatisfaction with the mesh is probably rooted in a few things...

1) The ship you've done could be built with far fewer polygons.  What you have now is needlessly complex.  So if you're going to work on this ship further, what I'd suggest is to first start stripping away polygons, especially from those engines.  I think LC or Exe's signature used to read that "the perfect mesh is one that describes exactly what you want with as few polygons as possible".  So that's where I'd start.

2) You've got a lot of smoothing problems.  A lot of those errors are probably being caused by un-welded vertexes.  One way you can deal with this is just to select all your vertexes, and then weld them together using a short distance setting.  Just remember that this won't work for vertexes that are parts of different overlapping polygons.

3) I think you've got an excellent base design, and this mesh has already come a long way from the beginning.  My suggeestion at this point, is to keep it as a reference, and build an entirely new version of it from scratch.  I think that if you do that, keeping a really good sense of how you're spending your polygons, then you'll turn out something that you'll be really proud of.

Btw, I really like what you've done with the front of the engines.

Also, one last piece of advice.  If and when you rebuild this ship, try to simplify it a bit.  Do a very basic mesh with no needless polygons or trimmings.  You can add those easily enough later on.  Remember that in a lot of ways, modeling is like carving, you wanna make your general form first.

Good luck, I'm looking forward to seeing more.

Offline Aeries

« Reply #57 on: January 01, 2008, 01:28:00 PM »
Okay people, It's been settled!

The Mithra's being completely re-done from scratch! I have tonns of new ideas I want to integrate into the new model; smoother, sleeker Warp Nacelles, better Nacelle Pylons, two extra shuttle bays, brand new phaser errays, a new quantum torpedo turret, and WAY fewer polys... needless to say, the list is VERY extensive, but I have a few sketches I'll be going off of, too. So using this as a reference, along with my sketches, I think I can pull together a WAY better product in far less time.

Thank you so very much for all your support and input, everyone! Especially you, DJ. You've given me a lot of ideas. Keeping my brain workin' at warp 9.5, here. :P

The ship's role has been settled as well, i believe. She'll be a heavy assault cruiser balanced to the Century's specifications. Obviously she'll be slightly larger and more powerful, given her role... As Yanlou said, a ship built to tear through enemy lines, much like cavalry. A fat monster... cavalry... O.o; ? Lol.

Also, I have some ideas on other variants of this ship. Notice the... thingy... on the aft section mounted above the shuttle bay? That was just put there to look nifty, originally... but I now have an idea. Think Nebula pods... but sleeker, cooler, and more... well... just more! :P It was a thought, anyways.

So yes! I have tonns of work to do... Thank you all SO much! :D

-Aeries.

Offline DJ Curtis

• Ship Builder
  • I make ships.
« Reply #58 on: January 01, 2008, 01:34:28 PM »
a cookie for you sir.  Have at it.

Offline Aeries