Author Topic: Abante Class -- Mothballed no longer.  (Read 8943 times)

Offline Shadowknight1

• Cookies: 71
  • Star Trek Into Darkness
Re: Abante Class
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2008, 02:24:25 AM »
Pretty!  Though, that's typical of your ships DJ, I hope she gets a decent texturer and hardpointer.

To Boldly Go...Again.

Offline cpthooker

• Cookies: 37
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2008, 03:17:11 AM »
Are you saying that DJ is not one then ;)?

I love the nacelles, you always seem to come up with something different each time. Nice work

'As a matter of cosmic history, it has always been easier to destroy, than to create.'
Capt Spock - The Wrath of Khan

PC Spec
Athlon X2 Skt AM2 6000+, 4GB DDR2 800 Ram
XFX Geforce 8800 ultra, Vista Ultimate 64bit

Offline Darkthunder

• Vice Administrator
  • Cookies: 1527
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2008, 03:32:14 AM »
Are you saying that DJ is not one then ;)?

I love the nacelles, you always seem to come up with something different each time. Nice work

Actually on this particular ship, DJ wanted the community to "step up" and do the texturing work.
Official BCC Discord · https://discord.gg/nJAx4HNQ2G
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Offline mayhemuk

• Cookies: 7
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2008, 07:28:06 AM »
Guys before you can think about weaponry, you have to think about the ships role.
If its designed as a nova replacement as some suggest, then it is primarily a sience vessel and I see no reason for it to have quantum torpedoes at all.

Enhanced sensors; yes, enhanced propulsion; yes, but fitted out with quantums because they're the best in the arsenal? Come on its just a waste of resources.

As for the torp rate, I agree with DT mostly, the forward tubes should fire two torps a peice with a nice long recharge time and the aft ones should fire one a peice again with a nice long recharge time.

Also DJ, I like the impulse housings apart from the front bit were they are joined to the hull, maybe make them a little more flush like the sovvie?

I agree with every Elm says until you get to the Quantum Torps, i feel that they will replace the Photon torps to become the standard for all ships over time, so why not this ship.

Jay Crimson

« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2008, 07:37:22 AM »
You forget the political uproar which would come with a massive refit to quantum torpedoes. If the federation would arm every ship with quantum torpedoes, they'd initiate an arms race with the romulans and klingons who would feel the need to invent more terrible weapons to stay on par. Being that the federation are explorers and the weapon was originally a weapon deviced to fight the borg with, we can assume it is more likely distributed to starships on a special occasion or is accessable only to captains with a certain level of authority.

- USS Enterprise: Flagship, may encounter the most dangerous of situations where quantum torpedoes are required.
- USS Defiant: Invented to counter the borg, quantum torpedoes remained on the ship, perhaps a wise choice for the gamma quadrant's potential dangers and later as a weapon against the dominion.
- USS Lakota: We can only speculate if the Lakota was armed with quantum torpedoes for dangerous missions or if Leyton had ordered such to have superior firepower if anyone'd try to stop his coupe.

While memory alpha says the weapon was deviced to replace the photon torpedo, they've provided no source of how they came to that conclusion.

Offline Barihawk

• Ninth Fleet STO Commanding Officer
  • Cookies: 225
  • BC: The Aftermath Member
    • My Released Work
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2008, 08:57:02 AM »
Matter/Antimatter warheads to Zero-Point Energy warheads.

It's like going from the Tactical Nuke to the Hydrogen Bomb.

For one thing, it would be expensive to produce, and also I agree with the arms race scenario. Remember that after the Dominion War, relations between the Alpha Quadrant species broke right back down again.

Offline Darkthunder

• Vice Administrator
  • Cookies: 1527
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2008, 09:55:25 AM »
You forget the political uproar which would come with a massive refit to quantum torpedoes. If the federation would arm every ship with quantum torpedoes, they'd initiate an arms race with the romulans and klingons who would feel the need to invent more terrible weapons to stay on par. Being that the federation are explorers and the weapon was originally a weapon deviced to fight the borg with, we can assume it is more likely distributed to starships on a special occasion or is accessable only to captains with a certain level of authority.

- USS Enterprise: Flagship, may encounter the most dangerous of situations where quantum torpedoes are required.
- USS Defiant: Invented to counter the borg, quantum torpedoes remained on the ship, perhaps a wise choice for the gamma quadrant's potential dangers and later as a weapon against the dominion.
- USS Lakota: We can only speculate if the Lakota was armed with quantum torpedoes for dangerous missions or if Leyton had ordered such to have superior firepower if anyone'd try to stop his coupe.

While memory alpha says the weapon was deviced to replace the photon torpedo, they've provided no source of how they came to that conclusion.

Another thing thou, is that this (along with the Century, and Vivace and most of DJs other ships) exist in the late 24th or early 25th century. By which point the following has likely happened:

- Klingons at the Federations closest ally sign a treaty making the Klingon Empire a part of the Federation.
- Romulans being severely weakened after the Shinzon incident would likely be on the same level of alliance the Klingons had with the Federation during the Dominion War (and during TNG-era).

So why would there be a major power struggle over what tech the Federation arm their ships with? I find it more likely they would've simply had all the ships equipped with quantums and in some rare cases, even transphasic torpedoes in case the Borg decided to pay them a visit again.
Official BCC Discord · https://discord.gg/nJAx4HNQ2G
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Offline El

• Master Hardpointer
  • Retired Administrator
  • Cookies: 123
  • Former Vice Admin
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2008, 10:21:57 AM »
Hmm, some valid points. But I still think it all comes down to the ships role. You just wouldn't equip a science vessel with top of the line weaponry.

intrepid90

« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2008, 10:56:54 AM »
I think she could take the role of a modern intrepid class.
a fast, agile small cruiser.
I think because of the fact that she will play in the early 25th century, she should carry qunatums.
As already said, some ships would be equipped better, but its the same as the intrepid.
the intrepid doesnt have quantums because she doesnt need them in her usual role.

Of course its all up to DJ, but just a suggestion

Jay Crimson

« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2008, 11:03:01 AM »
Hrmm but the Vivace seemed to be the intrepid role (which basically is a light cruiser / explorer). I like the ship alot, has DJ style in it, both Vivace and Century elements and original concepts.

Offline Shadowknight1

« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2008, 12:28:47 PM »
It looks more like maybe a Nova or Miranda replacement than an Intrepid size cruiser.

To Boldly Go...Again.

Offline mayhemuk

• Cookies: 7
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2008, 12:42:34 PM »
Well some people see that arming a explorer ship with quantums as aggressive, but i see it as a defensive move, if it has quantums then it is less likely to have ships attack it if they know they can take alot of damage in return.

intrepid90

« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2008, 12:44:45 PM »
It looks more like maybe a Nova or Miranda replacement than an Intrepid size cruiser.
nova perhaps, but Miranda ?!

Offline Aeries

• Cookies: 226
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2008, 01:11:21 PM »
Yeah, not so sure she'd get shredded in the battlefield like the poor old Miranda's did. :P

When i suggested pure quantums I was thinking in the same style as the Vivance. Fire one, maybe two shots, before she has to reload. But enough of that.

To me, she seems like a Nova (or Rhode Island, perhaps?) replacement. In any case, however, I can't wait to see what DJ and his recruited/drafted "new talent" can come up with for her. I eagerly await future updates. ^_^

-Aeries.

Offline Shadowknight1

« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2008, 02:29:52 PM »
I say Miranda because it might be around the same size, judging from the deflector and shuttlebay.  And it could very well be a replacement as the Miranda class is obviously obsolete by the Dominion Wars considering how many of them got blown to pieces.

And I honestly don't know if pure quantums are the way to go, photon torpedo tech isn't quite obsolete yet and quantum torpedoes are still quite demanding as far as resources go.

To Boldly Go...Again.

Offline Aeries

« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2008, 02:40:27 PM »
True, true. It was just a thought. :)

Offline DJ Curtis

• Ship Builder
  • Cookies: 1410
  • I make ships.
« Reply #36 on: May 09, 2008, 02:42:54 AM »
Time to revive this...

Working on the Galaxy refit has got me actually in the mood to do some texturing.  Thus, I thought I'd pick up this little bad boy and get to work.  I had originally intended to do the Raptor before this, but I think I'll do this one and then redo the other to match.

Not tons done, just the nacelles, but they're the hardest part to texture because you've got to get the maps to line up all around the body.  Mapping nacelles is such a pain in the arse.  I typically don't start with nacelles, usually the saucer, but I find that whenever I get to the engines on a ship I tend to stall out for a while because they're such a pain.  So I figured, I'll try doing them first and see if that improves my motivation, since the rest of the mapping is simple. :D

Anyhow, pix.  C&C are welcome.

Offline Aeries

Re: Abante Class -- Updated May 9th
« Reply #37 on: May 09, 2008, 03:41:04 AM »
VERY nice. Those nacelles give it a mean "cute but deadly" sort of look.

Offline Kirk

• Cookies: 139
    • My Released Mods
« Reply #38 on: May 09, 2008, 07:57:49 AM »
"cute but deadly"
Kirk is rolling is his grave, the way you talk about the Federation. :)

I like her DJ. Keep it up!

yanlou

« Reply #39 on: May 09, 2008, 08:59:02 AM »
very nice DJ, subtle yet agressive and im looking foward to seeing more of the ship with textures