Author Topic: Abante Class -- Mothballed no longer.  (Read 8945 times)

Offline DJ Curtis

• Ship Builder
  • Cookies: 1410
  • I make ships.
Abante Class -- Mothballed no longer.
« on: December 27, 2007, 04:44:21 PM »
Ok, so this is the BC mesh of the ship I'm offering up to BCC's new talent.  I've been in discussion with several different people, and I'll pass it off to someone soon.  i must admit I'm having trouble choosing.  I've got someone who knows how to texture, but not map.  Is there anyone out there who knows how to do mapping that could collaborate?

Here are some pix.

if you remember the old CGI mesh, you can see I've changed a lot of stuff.  The biggest difference is that I've added a couple of big but sleek impulse engines to the nacelle pylons.  I wanted engines that looked unique, and that's what I cam up with.  You can tell the ship is fairly small by the size of the torpedo launchers and the bridge.  The whole ship is only 9 decks, so the total length probably weighs in around 200m.

C&C welcome.

Offline Starforce2

• Master Hardpointer
  • Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 882
    • Facebook
Re: Abante Class
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2007, 04:51:37 PM »
nice work.
I just realised something. I've released over 300 fully modded ships for bridge commander. Bow to your master :D
Read my mod blog!
http://bcs-tng.com/forums/index.php?action=viewblog;u=1129

Offline Aeries

• Cookies: 226
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2007, 04:55:04 PM »
Hmm... reminds me of a more futuristic Nova. Whereas the Nova was like a tiny variant of the Intrepid, this is like a tiny variant of the Vivance. Kinda cool. Personally not too fond of the colossal impulse engines, but then again, I do suppose they blend well with the overall design, so I'm not going to nit-pick. :P Wish I knew how to map & texture. This would have been great fun, I'd imagine.

Excellent work, as I've come to expect from you. :D Keep it up!

-Aeries.

intrepid90

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2007, 04:58:12 PM »
wou that impulse drives...
jeeeesus
nice design, still...
too bad I'm a dumbass in any of these categories :P
you can clearly see your influence of the vivace and century class
I'm suree you will only choose HQ Modders, so I don't have any fear that this wont become successful

Offline Darkthunder

• Vice Administrator
  • Cookies: 1527
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2007, 04:58:30 PM »
Judging by the size you specified, and the looks of the ship itself, i'm thinking... Nova replacement?

I count 8 phasers and 4 torpedo tubes so it is actually pretty well armed for a ship of it's size. For hardpointing i'm thinking that the phasers should be similar in strength to the Sovereign, albeit have longer recharge time or a shorter "burst" duration. And for the torpedo tubes perhaps 2-3 torps per tube before recharge? I think if textured appropriately, it would be a nice "little sister" to the Century class.

EDIT: Seems like more people think of this ship as a Nova replacement besides myself :P

I actually like the impulse engines. If you look at the Sovreign, it too had very large impulse engines. And considering the Sovereign is also 3.5 times bigger than the Abante class you have to imagine how big of a surface those occupy.
Official BCC Discord · https://discord.gg/nJAx4HNQ2G
Ad Astra Per Aspera

intrepid90

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2007, 05:01:45 PM »
Judging by the size you specified, and the looks of the ship itself, i'm thinking... Nova replacement?

I count 8 phasers and 4 torpedo tubes so it is actually pretty well armed for a ship of it's size. For hardpointing i'm thinking that the phasers should be similar in strength to the Sovereign, albeit have longer recharge time or a shorter "burst" duration. And for the torpedo tubes perhaps 2-3 torps per tube before recharge? I think if textured appropriately, it would be a nice "little sister" to the Century class.

EDIT: Seems like more people think of this ship as a Nova replacement besides myself :P

I actually like the impulse engines. If you look at the Sovreign, it too had very large impulse engines. And considering the Sovereign is also 3.5 times bigger than the Abante class you have to imagine how big of a surface those occupy.
2 torps before recharging ok, but imo 3 is too much...
The Phaserbalance you mentioned is a good one I think

Offline DJ Curtis

• Ship Builder
  • I make ships.
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2007, 05:03:36 PM »
One of the reasons why I made the impulse engines so large, is that I really wanted to emphasize that the ship is small but very fast and maneuverable.  It should accelerate quickly too.

Offline Darkthunder

• Vice Administrator
  • Cookies: 1527
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2007, 05:04:46 PM »
Yeah as I said "2-3 torps per tube". Wasnt sure what would be better. Maybe 2 torps per tube with 15 or 20 second recharge timer. Not sure if the ship should have purely quantums, or a standard compliment of photons and a limited supply of quantums.

One of the reasons why I made the impulse engines so large, is that I really wanted to emphasize that the ship is small but very fast and maneuverable.  It should accelerate quickly too.

Yeah I think your impulse engines definitely blend well with the ship. I might give it a shot at hardpointing it at some point ;)
Official BCC Discord · https://discord.gg/nJAx4HNQ2G
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Offline Nighthawk

• |______[o]_|
  • Cookies: 18
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2007, 05:08:06 PM »
 :shock: a post-Nem Libertas class?

Offline Aeries

• Cookies: 226
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2007, 05:09:19 PM »
As I said about my Mithra Class, I think photon torpedos would be thoroughly out-dated by the time these ships saw mass-production. Pure quantum torpedos might be the best way to go imo, but I can't say for certain. Photons have been around for... what? three hundred years? Nah... gotta be way more than that by now...

Anyways, I see your point DJ. She might actually wind up being one of my favorite ships as I always liked the small "kick yer butt and book it like a bat outta heck" ships. ;) She's totally cool, and as I said, the engines do blend nicely with the overall design, so i won't pick at them. :P

-Aeries.

intrepid90

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2007, 05:15:05 PM »
yeah, photons are outdated, but pure quantums?
2 per load..
that will make it quite strong imo.
the real strength should be its manouvrebility (hard word), correct me DJ, if thats not right...

Offline rengers

• Cookies: 306
  • ship modeler
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2007, 05:19:20 PM »
wow, very nice little ship :D
I like that impulse engines, they are indeed unique.
As far for the photon torpedos, I don't think that they are outdated, but I think it would be the best to have photon torpedos like
on your Century Class, very fast and precisly.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Offline eclipse74569

• Roger Smith of the U.S.S. Lollypop, a good ship
  • Webmaster
  • Cookies: 65535
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2007, 02:21:23 AM »
I'm learning how to map....if someone wants to take on the textures, I can map her according to the textures...let me know what you think DJ :)
Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return, to obtain, something of equal value must be lost.  That is alchemy's first law of equivalent exchange.  In those days we really believed that to be the world's one and only truth~Alphonse Elric

Asylum

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2007, 02:59:26 AM »
Very nice ship man  :)

Offline Adm_willie

• Cookies: 1
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2007, 05:31:51 AM »
Looks great DJ :) The impulse engines really give it a stealthy look, unfortunatly I also don't know how to map or anything of that kind :(

Offline Vortex

• Modder in Learning
  • Cookies: 28
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2007, 07:27:22 AM »
Looks great.

How about phtons for the aft launchers and quantums for the forward launchers?

The impulse engines look great!

Offline El

• Master Hardpointer
  • Retired Administrator
  • Cookies: 123
  • Former Vice Admin
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2007, 01:30:33 PM »
Guys before you can think about weaponry, you have to think about the ships role.
If its designed as a nova replacement as some suggest, then it is primarily a sience vessel and I see no reason for it to have quantum torpedoes at all.

Enhanced sensors; yes, enhanced propulsion; yes, but fitted out with quantums because they're the best in the arsenal? Come on its just a waste of resources.

As for the torp rate, I agree with DT mostly, the forward tubes should fire two torps a peice with a nice long recharge time and the aft ones should fire one a peice again with a nice long recharge time.

Also DJ, I like the impulse housings apart from the front bit were they are joined to the hull, maybe make them a little more flush like the sovvie?

Offline Glenn

• Starfleet Command
  • Cookies: 190
  • Captain - USS Explorer
    • Captain Elgy's Star Trek Files
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2007, 02:34:16 PM »
COOKIE ALERT...... COOKIE ALERT!!

Superb work DJ, I really like your Abante Class It reminds me of the Libertas you released a while back but with a secondary hull. I'm not a big fan of the impulse engines but thats just personal taste.... one things for sure it wont stop me from downloading it once it's released!!. Besidea the enlarged impulse engines allow you to get a lot of detail in with the textures. :lol:

A couple of questions for you....

1) Why the name Abante Class..... does it have some special meaning!?.

2) Whats you current poly count!?.

Once again it's first class work DJ, I'm glad your with us.... and modding for BC!!
  8)

Offline Voyager16

• Modding is improving.
  • Cookies: 9
  • KM - Mod Team Member
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2007, 08:37:38 AM »
Nice,  looks like a mini Vivace ;p

Offline DJ Curtis

• Ship Builder
  • I make ships.
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2007, 09:56:43 AM »

A couple of questions for you....

1) Why the name Abante Class..... does it have some special meaning!?.

2) Whats you current poly count!?.

1) Abante is latin for Advance.
2)11,722 polygons.  Though I'll probably be able to reduce that about 10-20%.