Author Topic: Excelsior WIP  (Read 9112 times)

Offline El

• Master Hardpointer
  • Retired Administrator
  • Cookies: 123
  • Former Vice Admin
Re: Excelsior WIP
« Reply #100 on: January 09, 2008, 08:27:59 AM »
Guys, come on behave like adults, and stop sulking.

He's entitled to make the model as he likes as its his model.

Offline Bones

• Cookies: 639
  • SPAAAAAAAAACE !!!
« Reply #101 on: January 09, 2008, 12:00:34 PM »
i dont dis-agreeing with Adonis about the fact it does'nt need to be super high poly to look good.. funny

EDIT: and just FYI, i have been using max close to 9 years now, a few people would consider that a long time...

Then stick to CGI mate. Ingame modelling looks like isn't for you.

No offense but don't you think that Lint is just so kind to share his really great work with BC community ?
In my opinion this type of models are great even without detailed texturing, oh btw who said this ship will not have regular texturing as every other fed ship does ??? I bet right after this model goes public someone will make fully detailed textures... or even who knows maybe Lint left them for v.2 ?  :)

Offline Adm_willie

• Cookies: 1
« Reply #102 on: January 09, 2008, 01:10:49 PM »
although the ship looks great i'd lower the poly count and instead give it the best textures it deserves, because I really don't think my computer can handle 2 of these ships, and I think more people will have that problem, but thats just my personal opinion, lets just get back on topic shall we? :)

Offline lint

• Cookies: 211
« Reply #103 on: January 09, 2008, 01:13:10 PM »
the poly count is down to about 21k, so its not that super high poly, you will be able to run a few, i can and i only have a radeon 9600 :)

Offline newman

• Cookies: 33
  • Hello, Jerry.
« Reply #104 on: January 09, 2008, 01:19:33 PM »
What seems to be the problem? Until someone makes bc able to use normal maps - unlikely - these (relatively) high poly models are the only way to go if you want current-looking ships in game. You can make the textures as detailed as you want, just the diffuse, shine and glow maps aren't going to cut it when you get close to the ship. If anyone doesn't like this fact, doesn't have the hardware to use it, or just plain doesn't like lint's work in general, great, don't use his mods.. plenty of other mods which are also good but have less tris.

Offline Adonis

• Ze Meister xP
  • Cookies: 84
  • Da Death Squad ???
    • Star Trek Excalibur
« Reply #105 on: January 09, 2008, 01:42:00 PM »
the poly count is down to about 21k, so its not that super high poly, you will be able to run a few, i can and i only have a radeon 9600 :)

It's still a waste, and this time (since my original intention didn't work) I'm gonna tell you what you done wrong (minus the hilarious poly count).

First off, the saucers dorsal and ventral shieldgrid radial segmentation is wrong. You have one segment too many (TMP Connie has 4, Excels have 5, you have 6!) per 90degs. Secondly, the sec hull is generally no better/higher detail than P81's ancient model.

So, instead of racing to make an uber-highpoly Excel and messing up the overall integrity of the ships detailing overall, you should have done some research on the ship in the first place, and be more careful with polys. Someone would have noticed these sooner or later (I'm surprised no one did so far). LC's one is still a lot better than yours, and no amount of texture work will change that. I know, the truth hurts...

EDIT (incase someone red my post): Forgot to mention that also the shield grid is mildly (barely noticable) beveled into the saucer and not outwards.
Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by themselves.

Moonraker

« Reply #106 on: January 09, 2008, 04:48:52 PM »
thats pretty harsh Adonis, however, it is true. its not common that ppl get the excelsior right, even on the show they have never gotten it like the original in their attempts to make replacements in physical and cgi attempts. ive rarely seen the excelsior get proper sheild gridding though. for one, the secondary hull is a bit hard to nail down in screencaps and photos, however the saucer section is very plainly clear but almost never gets done right. several years ago i drew some autocad plans of the excelsior. i put them in pdf here ifor some reference: http://www.chrisjonesgaming.net/moonraker/excelsior.pdf

the drawing only needs minor updates to it cause i have noticed some things missing recently but the major gridding of the hull is close as i can get so far (they do have 6 segments per 90 on the bottom). its an ongoing project, but ill gladly share it for reference.

Offline lint

« Reply #107 on: January 09, 2008, 05:38:23 PM »
thanks man, definatly come in handy when i get around to doing a v 2

Offline Adonis

• Ze Meister xP
  • Cookies: 84
  • Da Death Squad ???
    • Star Trek Excalibur
« Reply #108 on: January 09, 2008, 05:42:15 PM »
thats pretty harsh Adonis, however, it is true. its not common that ppl get the excelsior right, even on the show they have never gotten it like the original in their attempts to make replacements in physical and cgi attempts. ive rarely seen the excelsior get proper sheild gridding though. for one, the secondary hull is a bit hard to nail down in screencaps and photos, however the saucer section is very plainly clear but almost never gets done right. several years ago i drew some autocad plans of the excelsior. i put them in pdf here ifor some reference: http://www.chrisjonesgaming.net/moonraker/excelsior.pdf

the drawing only needs minor updates to it cause i have noticed some things missing recently but the major gridding of the hull is close as i can get so far (they do have 6 segments per 90 on the bottom). its an ongoing project, but ill gladly share it for reference.

Tnx Moon, much better than 99% of the schems out there, altho I did find a few errors. Catch me on msn if you wanna talk about'em. ;)
Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by themselves.

Offline JerichoKru

• Cookies: 2
« Reply #109 on: January 09, 2008, 07:17:17 PM »
I like it...but the main thing that is sticking out is the nearly non-existant glows (running lights and the ones on the saucer underside and bridge area)
~ [UFP]JerichoKru

Offline Legacy

• Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 1566
  • Praetor of the empire.
« Reply #110 on: January 09, 2008, 07:46:32 PM »
Hey Lint, if you're working over other people's model you should credit then.

And a side note is that it's a prototype excelsior NX-2000 not the further NCC-2000, so Adonis is right the paint scheme is already wrong.

Offline Sean

• Retired Administrator
  • Retired Administrator
  • Cookies: 1165
  • Site Co-Founder
    • Bridge Commander Central
Re: NOT HAPPY WITH SOME OF THESE POSTS
« Reply #111 on: January 10, 2008, 11:28:11 AM »
right guys, im not happy. i normally leave the moderating to the moderators, but having read through and cleaned out this thread i have a few things to say.

1, The tone of some people posting in this thread is completely unessessary
2, Constructive critism is good and helps the author work out any errors, tho i have seen a lot of agressive critism that to me seems inappropriate. One thing to tell a modder this is slightly incorrect. Quite another to say sorry "so-n-so's" model is better than your will ever be.

I would have expected more from certain people that have posted in this thread, i will be keeping an eye on said people, in particularly when posting in Lints thread as i haven't witnessed such hostility to a modder for a long time.

Quick note to Lint. If other peoples work is used in a mod, please credit them in the first post of a topic and continue to update it as more people become involve. That way there is a lot less for people to complain about

Thanks
Sean

Offline JerichoKru

« Reply #112 on: January 10, 2008, 01:13:52 PM »
I agree with Sean...there has been alot of agressive critisim about this.  I would mention names but, well...i think you can tell who was the "agressive" one.

As lint said earlier, "If you don't like it, don't download it."

and Adonis, perhaps lint wants to make the Excelsior slighty different, it's not your model, so why so nasty and overcritical of the design?
~ [UFP]JerichoKru

Offline El

• Master Hardpointer
  • Retired Administrator
  • Former Vice Admin
« Reply #113 on: January 10, 2008, 01:50:42 PM »
I agree with Sean...there has been alot of agressive critisim about this.  I would mention names but, well...i think you can tell who was the "agressive" one.

and Adonis, perhaps lint wants to make the Excelsior slighty different, it's not your model, so why so nasty and overcritical of the design?

Leave the moderating to the moderators, drop the subject now and get back on topic.
I will start recomending warnings if people can't follow this simple advice.

yanlou

« Reply #114 on: January 10, 2008, 02:03:28 PM »
lint your excel is amazing, altho i agree needs more texture detail, but even still its great,  :D

Offline Aeries

• Cookies: 226
« Reply #115 on: January 10, 2008, 08:38:39 PM »
Yes, this excelsior is a beauty, the modeling work is amazing. ^_^ I can only dream of the Mithra turning out this good. Hah. :D

Offline JerichoKru

« Reply #116 on: January 14, 2008, 10:27:32 AM »

Leave the moderating to the moderators, drop the subject now and get back on topic.
I will start recomending warnings if people can't follow this simple advice.

..woa...sorry...could of just said "This issue is closed" or something intead of screaming...

advice taken moderator-man

Admin Note - You have now ignored staff instructions, which is a breach of the site rules which you agreed to when you created account. Keep the posts ON topic from now on or I will suspend your account for 3 days.
~ [UFP]JerichoKru

Offline lint

« Reply #117 on: January 16, 2008, 12:06:20 AM »
can a mod please lock down this thread, the project is done and released :)

Offline El

• Master Hardpointer
  • Retired Administrator
  • Former Vice Admin
« Reply #118 on: January 16, 2008, 10:16:54 AM »
Locked as requested.