Author Topic: Star Trek Online thread  (Read 167671 times)

Offline Dalek

• Cookies: 206
Re: Star Trek Online thread
« Reply #860 on: November 27, 2009, 12:14:11 PM »
I think the Excalibur (and all the other ship variants named by Cryptic) are just what they might call those designs.

However, a perfect example of a refitted ship given a different name is the Constellation/Cheyenne.
"To live on as we have is to leave behind joy, and love, and companionship, because we know it to be transitory, of the moment. We know it will turn to ash. Only those whose lives are brief can imagine that love is eternal. You should embrace that remarkable illusion. It may be the greatest gift your race has ever received."

- Lorien

Offline Villain

• Cookies: 71
  • The artist formerly known as Prime
« Reply #861 on: November 27, 2009, 12:40:45 PM »
Lmfao. This game will be hilarious. Someone break NDA and post images they've saved.  :funny

Also, old ships give old fans something to relate to, new ones bring forth angry mobs. Example: Trek XI. Voyager. ENTERPRISE.

"The design is clearly ancient... Launched hundreds of thousands of years ago."

Quote from: JimmyB76
der-ner-ner-ner-ner ..... der-ner-ner-ner-ner .....
---
Quote from: Rick Sternbach, on the topic of the Galor Class' length
...Probably not, but the number I get(379.6m) could be considered ?original intent,? a term that I think I will be using from now on, and ?canon? be damned.

Offline MR. Nevyn

• Cookies: 0
« Reply #862 on: November 27, 2009, 01:18:36 PM »
Then why didn't they simply make it the 24th century, and save them the trouble of making "new" ships and the fans have something to relate to. Now we just have the 24t century in everything but name. Even the supposedly destroyed Borg are going to make yet another appearance.

Offline Darkthunder

• Vice Administrator
  • Cookies: 1527
« Reply #863 on: November 27, 2009, 01:25:49 PM »
Then why didn't they simply make it the 24th century, and save them the trouble of making "new" ships and the fans have something to relate to. Now we just have the 24t century in everything but name. Even the supposedly destroyed Borg are going to make yet another appearance.

What "supposedly destroyed Borg" ? The Borg were never destroyed (in canon). Makes perfect sense to me, for them to come back, more pissed off than ever before. Also, you'll note that Species 8472 will be making a reappearance in STO.

The reason for moving the setting of STO to 2409, is that it's 30 years past anything we've seen before (in canon). Gives them free reign to shape the story any way they want. You should also be aware, that while most of our "beloved" ships will be making a return in STO, most of them have been refitted in various ways, and the players themselves can customize the ships further.
Official BCC Discord · https://discord.gg/nJAx4HNQ2G
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Offline Villain

« Reply #864 on: November 27, 2009, 01:33:28 PM »
Because they wanted a different story, FWIR it was the first thing they said. A new era that they could write their own stuff for. It the exact same premise as Trek XI. A TNG MMO would bore the crap out of the MMO community. Why? Because it's slow and about diplomacy, and understanding the human mind. With a market as competitive as the Massiley Multiplayer one, it needs to be fast, simple, and 2.0 friendly. That's why there are only 3 major archetypes with a little bit of freedom in them.

It breaks down like this: If you have designated Tank, Mez, Healer, Buff, DPS, Burst and Ranged (Let's face it, why would Trek ever have melee in space battles?) It gets too complicated for the general gaming community, and only interests (Depending on complexity and diversity of classes) either A: People who played Everquest (*Waves hands* I did!) or Trek fans who like things impossibly hard for the sake of getting the "Trek Experience".

This game holds a bit of both worlds, in that it has the absolute fundamentals for a decent RPG party (Tank, A Mez/Heal/Buff combo and DPS), that can be opened up to suit your liking, and at the same time it keeps the Trek look, with the customization that Cryptic are expected to add into their games now (City of Heroes/Villains/Going Rogue, Champions Online), and two forms of combat as opposed to one, which really, should make it a lot harder to get bored of levelling, which is a common problem with all level-based RPGs in general.

As for your complaint about the Borg, they never really said they were wiped out, IIRC. They took out Unimatrix-0, or something like that. It's way out into the Future, and no doubt they've got a new queen or something to keep the hive under control. Think of Borg like ants or bee's or whatever. They can't get rid of them either because they were what put the "Oomfph" into TNG, and more notably Voyager, and kept it alive for so long (That and Jeri Ryan). There are only so many stories one can make up, especially when you have a vicious pack of fans like Trekkies who will complain about the tiniest things (As parodied in just about everything. Simpsons, Futurama, almost every sitcom ever made, and definitely Big Bang Theory).

tl;dr: Future timeline to give some creative liberties to the writers while keeping an established universe/canvas to work on, while appeasing to fans of the series. And it seems to be working, too. Look how much attention this thread has gotten.

EDIT: To add to Darkthunders post: If you hate having a ship that looks old and supposedly "uncanon" or whatever. Make your own. There are miranda variants they've shown that look only barely like their original design.

Hell, that's what everyone here does anyway, right? Dream up and try to create our own vision of trek neatly wrapped in a grey hull. ;)

---
...Probably not, but the number I get(379.6m) could be considered ?original intent,? a term that I think I will be using from now on, and ?canon? be damned.

Offline Darkthunder

• Vice Administrator
  • Cookies: 1527
« Reply #865 on: November 27, 2009, 02:19:18 PM »
(City of Heroes/Villains/Going Rogue, Champions Online)

Only one of the above titles is a Cryptic game. True, they did create City of Heroes/Villains, but they have since sold the property to NCSoft, and it's NCSoft that has been developing the CoH/CoV games for quite some time now (including the upcoming Going Rogue expansion).
Official BCC Discord · https://discord.gg/nJAx4HNQ2G
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Offline JimmyB76

• Cookies: 421
« Reply #866 on: November 27, 2009, 02:23:18 PM »
Someone break NDA and post images they've saved.
not on this forum - breaking the NDA is a no-no :P

Offline MR. Nevyn

« Reply #867 on: November 27, 2009, 02:49:23 PM »
To take the 25th century because you can do something new with it only works if you do make something new; giving us the same ships and enemies as in the shows and most other games doesn't add anything new. If it's ships blowing up other ships they could have just taken the Dominion War. At least it would have explained why so many old designs were still used; Starfleet simply didn't have anything better at that time. By if by the 25th century Starfleet is still refitting those old designs it becomes just stupid. It would be the US Navy trying to turn a 200 year old wooden ship in a state-of-the-art aircraft carrier.

Offline Lionus

• Cookies: 79
« Reply #868 on: November 27, 2009, 02:58:14 PM »
yes, but would Star Trek be Star Trek without the old, beaten-to-death-and-brought-back workhorses like Miranda and Excelsior etc?
Star Trek Quad-nacelle fanboy Extraordinaire

StarFleet Research and Development Crash Test Dummie/Test pilot

"Beyond the rim of the star-light
My love
Is wand'ring in star-flight
I know
He'll find in star-clustered reaches
Love,
Strange love a star woman teaches.
I know
His journey ends never
His star trek
Will go on forever.
But tell him
While he wanders his starry sea
Remember, remember me."

Offline MR. Nevyn

« Reply #869 on: November 27, 2009, 03:11:54 PM »
Yes, we all managed to survive the disappearance of the Constitution and the Constitution Refit. If it's supposed to be the 25th century, make it a new century and not a restyled 24th.

Offline NeoSilverThorn

• Explorer at heart
  • Cookies: 1
    • NeoSilverThorn's DevArt gallery
« Reply #870 on: November 27, 2009, 04:20:56 PM »
What "supposedly destroyed Borg" ? The Borg were never destroyed (in canon). Makes perfect sense to me, for them to come back, more pissed off than ever before. Also, you'll note that Species 8472 will be making a reappearance in STO.

Well, Endgame did give the Borg a pretty heavy mauling at the very least.  Losing a transwarp hub and your queen/central nexus probably qualifies.  So yeah, Darkthunder's probably right on the money.  And yes, we're all looking forward to everyone's favorite fluidic spacial spieces.
"You're diggin' my ride from outer space."

"Okay, okay, so I technically use an ether/anti-ether warp reactor.  Not that different from a matter/anti-matter reactor, is it?"

Offline Lionus

• Cookies: 79
« Reply #871 on: November 27, 2009, 04:32:34 PM »
oh my.. I suddenly got worried.. what if the game allows transferring technologies between species? imagine Miranda with Borg shielding and Species 8472 "ImmafirighmahbigassphazorBLARRGH!"- beam?
Star Trek Quad-nacelle fanboy Extraordinaire

StarFleet Research and Development Crash Test Dummie/Test pilot

"Beyond the rim of the star-light
My love
Is wand'ring in star-flight
I know
He'll find in star-clustered reaches
Love,
Strange love a star woman teaches.
I know
His journey ends never
His star trek
Will go on forever.
But tell him
While he wanders his starry sea
Remember, remember me."

Offline Daystar70

• Cookies: 10
« Reply #872 on: November 27, 2009, 09:05:53 PM »
They are planning original alien races and threats later. to launch, they are taking the established races because to feel like star trek, theyre playing it a bit safe (do you blame them?).

SWG relied on, IMO a bad idea as it was creative strangulation, the time era of the classic films. TOR has hope because theyre being smart and using a canvas of a setting that has room for tons of liberties.

DC heroes uses the JLA and such heroes and villains that make tons of cameos to create a "familiarity" for pcs to feel this is DC universe. Marvel online will to.

It's no different. As a MMO game they are doing the best they can to compromise and meet Trek fans and new players head on. The IP is a hot one and will make cryptic a stamp of power in the MMO universe history if they do well with it, they have the same "potential" to pass or fail SWG did but back when SWG came out, players were not predispositioned to label a game "Fail" as they are today.
oh my.. I suddenly got worried.. what if the game allows transferring technologies between species? imagine Miranda with Borg shielding and Species 8472 "ImmafirighmahbigassphazorBLARRGH!"- beam?

They are allowing it to a degree. You gain new skills, crew member potentials etc from new races from a "Genesis engine"that is a dynamic new explored space generator, u can save your discovered worlds to share with Fleet mates to. new tech though is reflective of new skills and power sets unlocked and that is just the explanation of how in such a case. Yes, one dev exampled u could find Borg tech and apply it to your ship, would u get a uber ship? not necessarily any more than some player who finds a new alien races tech and applies it that has cool tech skill game advantages.

Offline Villain

« Reply #873 on: December 04, 2009, 05:44:12 AM »
(City of Heroes/Villains/Going Rogue, Champions Online)

Only one of the above titles is a Cryptic game. True, they did create City of Heroes/Villains, but they have since sold the property to NCSoft, and it's NCSoft that has been developing the CoH/CoV games for quite some time now (including the upcoming Going Rogue expansion).

Paragon are the company running CoH/V/GR (I should know because I am a subscriber to the City of franchise), They're the remnants of Cryptic that didn't follow Jack Emmert. Cryptic, and more specifically, Jack Emmert, are the reason that these games have such a wide customization base, and it's a huge selling point of both games. Meanwhile, we've been stuck with Matt Miller. I really don't know who the lesser of two evils is between them, but seeing as Emmert brought what will make the Trek MMO a potential hit to the market...

To be honest, Cryptic have no chance to become a powerful name in the industry, as they've abandoned everything they've tried, left features half-built in games, and in general can't compete with a behemoth like Blizzard, who hit the casual market like an atom bomb.

---

Offline Voyager16

• Modding is improving.
  • Cookies: 9
  • KM - Mod Team Member
« Reply #874 on: December 05, 2009, 06:59:57 PM »
Might be intresting.

&NR=1

"hmm" at 1:34?
Disruptor fire from a BoP coming out of the bottom side of the ship.

Offline Nebula

• BC elder / BCC Vice Admin
  • Administrator
  • Cookies: 1129
  • KM - Mod Team Member & BC - Elder (2002)
    • 9th fleet HQ
« Reply #875 on: December 05, 2009, 07:22:39 PM »
those are extremely old vids... they have better ones up at the main STO site now.
Canon is what people argue exists on ships that don't exist.

Offline Voyager16

• Modding is improving.
  • Cookies: 9
  • KM - Mod Team Member
« Reply #876 on: December 06, 2009, 05:22:48 AM »
Yeah I know, but came across them.

Offline Tuskin38

• Cookies: 111
« Reply #877 on: December 06, 2009, 09:30:11 PM »
I don't think this has been posted yet

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/fleet-actions-star-trek/59701

looks pretty cool.

Offline Dalek

• Cookies: 206
« Reply #878 on: December 07, 2009, 11:32:00 AM »
Ooh cool. I'm convinced the quality improves each time. And it's a Doomsday Machine! :)
"To live on as we have is to leave behind joy, and love, and companionship, because we know it to be transitory, of the moment. We know it will turn to ash. Only those whose lives are brief can imagine that love is eternal. You should embrace that remarkable illusion. It may be the greatest gift your race has ever received."

- Lorien

Offline majormagna

• English Idiot
  • Cookies: 5
  • Bail Out!
« Reply #879 on: December 08, 2009, 11:55:31 AM »
Doomsday Machine AND a Crystaline Entity! z0MG!

I still... just dunno whether I want this or not... Hope I get in the Beta to see what it's like.
Did you know I'm on Twitter?