Author Topic: Star Trek Online thread  (Read 167650 times)

Offline Darkthunder

• Vice Administrator
  • Cookies: 1527
Re: Star Trek Online thread
« Reply #2020 on: August 24, 2010, 10:34:53 PM »
After playing STO during the latest "welcome back weekend", I ended up having mixed feelings about the game:

On the one hand, the episodic content was very enjoyable. Filled with a bunch of lore from past episodes and movies, and I for one hope ALOT more of the episodic content gets added over the next few months. The episodes is definitely the best part of the game in terms of "mission content". However, the game definitely needs MORE episodes in order to be able to level to max rank/level without having to resort to repeatable content.

I've never been much of a PVP:er in MMOs, but the new "Challenge System" in STO sounded vaguely interesting to me (shame it got added AFTER the welcome back weekend). During my brief stint during this latest free weekend, I ended up having completed ALL episodes upto Rear Admiral "Upper Half" content, and I haven't got much love for doing repeatable "Defend the sector" or "PVP" matches.

Is there a better way to level up the last few grades without having to resort to too much repeatable content? Did alot of my leveling while in a group of friends that play STO, but the entire "Exploration" content was severely bugged. We couldn't enter the same systems while in group, and thus that became out of the question in assisting me to level up.
Official BCC Discord · https://discord.gg/nJAx4HNQ2G
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Offline Nebula

• BC elder / BCC Vice Admin
  • Administrator
  • Cookies: 1129
  • KM - Mod Team Member & BC - Elder (2002)
    • 9th fleet HQ
« Reply #2021 on: August 24, 2010, 10:35:26 PM »
Daystar70's choice of textures is... >.>

Darkthunder: 
Have you fooled with the difficulty settings?? better drops and experience.
Canon is what people argue exists on ships that don't exist.

Offline Daystar70

• Cookies: 10
« Reply #2022 on: August 24, 2010, 10:38:11 PM »
Sorry i TOTALLY disagree w you! the darker textures are WAY better than the ligght. wow..Hideous? really? wow. Sorry if i barf at that statement.

Thunder, the weekly episode arc with the Breen starts soon From Ra to Va1 i did non stop deep space encounters in Gamma orionis. yeah its a grind but that level range goes by fast.

Offline Joshmaul

• Lunatic with a Starship
  • Cookies: 8
  • A Mind Without Purpose Will Walk in Dark Places
« Reply #2023 on: August 25, 2010, 06:29:19 AM »
I agree; I just did the RA5 to VA1 grind myself, and it didn't take that long at all.

Anyway, a bit more - from the Klingon side, lol. The first two are results of the episodic content (first, single-handedly taking over a crippled Federation battleship, and second...I would think that trophy looks familiar for anyone who's seen "Parallels", heh), and the third is my recently-acquired K't'inga. Yeah, it's not great looking, but it's better than the refit!

And yes, my Klingon captain is actually a human (human Augment, if you want to get technical). Long story.
"If one does as God does enough times, one will become as God is." - Dr. Hannibal Lecter

Offline Darkthunder

• Vice Administrator
  • Cookies: 1527
« Reply #2024 on: August 25, 2010, 08:45:50 AM »
Thunder, the weekly episode arc with the Breen starts soon From Ra to Va1 i did non stop deep space encounters in Gamma orionis. yeah its a grind but that level range goes by fast.

That was my point entirely, in my previous post. I don't -want- to end up having to grind to get to max level/grade. As for Nebula's suggestion of changing the difficulty settings, I thought that was only to get "improved drops" in the mission? Afaik, the mission XP and mission rewards are the same regardless of difficulty. Besides which, i've done all the "episode missions", and there is currently no "replay function" that would allow me to run them again at a higher difficulty.
Official BCC Discord · https://discord.gg/nJAx4HNQ2G
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Offline Daystar70

« Reply #2025 on: August 25, 2010, 10:12:43 AM »
Correct it does NOT give better xps just loot. And IMO not worth the trouble. The grind though seriously, from ra upper to va 1 ,is brief, i did it in less than an hour.

Offline majormagna

• English Idiot
  • Cookies: 5
  • Bail Out!
« Reply #2026 on: August 25, 2010, 10:44:07 AM »
It may not change the primary reward, but if you kill a Negh'Var at 'Normal' you get less XP than killing one at 'Elite' IIRC.
Did you know I'm on Twitter?

Offline Joshmaul

• Lunatic with a Starship
  • Cookies: 8
  • A Mind Without Purpose Will Walk in Dark Places
« Reply #2027 on: August 25, 2010, 10:50:46 AM »
Of course, dealing with the debuffs you get as a result of dying while on increased difficulty is always fun. *chuckles*
"If one does as God does enough times, one will become as God is." - Dr. Hannibal Lecter

Offline Biggins

• Cookies: 2
« Reply #2028 on: August 25, 2010, 02:01:21 PM »
So, this is me right now. Languishing in the trial, staring out and wondering how the full game is :P

"You treat her like a lady, and she'll always bring you home."

Offline Daystar70

« Reply #2029 on: August 25, 2010, 05:36:13 PM »
I began shooting more and more Bridge commander combat footage for finally moving on whats been a long "setup" of what my animated series will be, as i begin the new semester at school in a few weeks, we focus heavily on 3ds max, game making, learning to reverse engineer 3d work, modding, (maybe i can actually contribute to this community for once lol), i had been delaying moving forth on my series for a couple of reasons 1.) voice acting-my female voice actors keep coming and dropping, i had a lot of diolougue recorded for T'pon Kane, George Kane's vulcan wife. But the voice actress became to unreliable and i don't wanna use recoreded diolougue for half of a script and another voice for the rest. I have a new screenplay for the first "movie" which is called "Star trek: Spellbound" It is a Trek version of aan Alfred Hitchcock film, This versions plot revolves around section 31 using transporter duplication technology experiments (ala thomas riker/will riker syndrome) and G Kane and his crew are picking up ckues that they have been duplicated and try and "track down" their doubles activities as section 31 is manipulating events towards a nefarious goal, as the plot unfolds the crew begin to wonder who in fact, are the duplicates and who are the original crew.

Offline Biggins

« Reply #2030 on: August 25, 2010, 06:11:37 PM »
"Star trek: Spellbound" It is a Trek version of aan Alfred Hitchcock film, This versions plot revolves around section 31 using transporter duplication technology experiments (ala thomas riker/will riker syndrome) and G Kane and his crew are picking up ckues that they have been duplicated and try and "track down" their doubles activities as section 31 is manipulating events towards a nefarious goal, as the plot unfolds the crew begin to wonder who in fact, are the duplicates and who are the original crew.

That sounds pretty interesting actually :D Best of luck with it.
"You treat her like a lady, and she'll always bring you home."

Offline Tuskin38

• Cookies: 111
« Reply #2031 on: August 25, 2010, 06:53:15 PM »
I introduce you to the USS Atlantis, Excelsior Class

I don't think I got the colour scheme quite right. I'm not sure what colours to use, some shots its aqua, some shows its dark blue

When you hit transwarp as the excel (the ones that come with the ship) the computer counts down, maybe its for dramatic proposes for when it possible breaks down. (one of the developers hinted it may not work all the time on the T3 excel)

Offline Hellsgate

• Administrator, "Star Trek: New Worlds"
  • Administrator, "Star Trek: New Worlds"
    • =^=Star Trek: New Worlds=^=
« Reply #2032 on: August 26, 2010, 03:25:54 AM »
If At First You Don't Succeed, So Much For Skydiving.

Offline Tuskin38

« Reply #2033 on: August 26, 2010, 10:28:02 AM »
Yeah they've been floating around since the last couple weeks of the Season 2 test on tribble.

Anyways the T3 Excel in on the main server now.

Offline Lionus

• Cookies: 79
« Reply #2034 on: August 26, 2010, 11:07:06 AM »
 :dance *runs to get his*
Star Trek Quad-nacelle fanboy Extraordinaire

StarFleet Research and Development Crash Test Dummie/Test pilot

"Beyond the rim of the star-light
My love
Is wand'ring in star-flight
I know
He'll find in star-clustered reaches
Love,
Strange love a star woman teaches.
I know
His journey ends never
His star trek
Will go on forever.
But tell him
While he wanders his starry sea
Remember, remember me."

Offline Tuskin38

« Reply #2035 on: August 26, 2010, 11:12:39 AM »
The tier 5 one most be soon, with in the next week because they've already posted an FAQ for it on the forums.

Offline Captain_Licard

• [RETIRED]
  • Cookies: 12
  • Captain Tiberius Flynn
« Reply #2036 on: August 26, 2010, 01:09:05 PM »
as cool as it is, im not gonna get one, the excelsior was never exactly my favorite ship, also, i dont have enough, im not gonna waste my voucher when I level up to cmdr on it, just the heavy cruiser (DAKOTA CLASS BABY!!!) and, well, IM FLAT BROKE! (stupid dabo) Hey I gots an Idea, why dont us BC players team up and create a fleet? you know a fleet like the "BCC FLeet" or the "Saffi Haters :evil:" or something like that? or has this already been done and Im just late to the party
Star Trek Collision

Offline Nebula

• BC elder / BCC Vice Admin
  • Administrator
  • Cookies: 1129
  • KM - Mod Team Member & BC - Elder (2002)
    • 9th fleet HQ
« Reply #2037 on: August 26, 2010, 01:30:32 PM »
we already kinda have one :P join the 9th fleet!
Canon is what people argue exists on ships that don't exist.

Offline Daystar70

« Reply #2038 on: August 26, 2010, 02:02:17 PM »
Both ships are up. 1200 c store pts for admiral one. It's a nice ship Stahl said the way the slots are different may be used for all ships in an overhaul later on. Excelsior is a testbed for a slightly new cruiser slot approach. she has 4 front 4 aft weapons, 4 eng boff slots, 3 tact 2 sci.

The eng slots are 1 ensign 1 lt comm 1 comm ensign,lt,ltcomm tact, ensign,lt sci.  She is a beast in combat there have been over 70 excelsiors in game as of this post i personally counted. she has 10 trasnwarp sector action powers (shared 20 minute cooldown) they seperated earth spacedock from sirius sector for TW. (every sector in game except for gamma orionis is present on admiral excelsior). The only downside is some think giving up the commander eng boff is to much i dont agree. Advanced heavy cruiser and advanced heavu cruiser retrofit. I chose the Lakota/Ent B look.

Trivia--the reason the generations/lakota Excelsior has a different hull, is they broke the model pre production and used glue placeholders. the placeholders got stuck so they just painted over them and decided its a Refit look.

Offline Captain_Licard

• [RETIRED]
  • Cookies: 12
  • Captain Tiberius Flynn
« Reply #2039 on: August 26, 2010, 04:20:47 PM »
Im hoping to be a commander by tonight, my retail key expires in a week so I don't want to waste any time. After it expires, its back to school :cry: :cry: :( and no more STO until next summer (and the occasional free-weekend)
Star Trek Collision