Author Topic: Star Trek Online thread  (Read 168955 times)

Offline FarShot

• That guy with good ideas...
  • Cookies: 787
  • I'm actually making stuff! :D
Re: Star Trek Online thread
« Reply #2660 on: January 15, 2012, 02:47:35 PM »
I use the shooter controls.  And don't forget, that came around a long time after launch - after all the sets were made.

Stahl is gone, so there's no reason to continue that promise.

Offline sovereign001

• Cookies: 77
« Reply #2661 on: January 15, 2012, 02:49:09 PM »
Gone? aah he was from the atari team?

Offline Shadowknight1

• Cookies: 71
  • Star Trek Into Darkness
« Reply #2662 on: January 15, 2012, 02:51:08 PM »
True but still, they even tried to make it almost an fps ! (with the x button you could manually target etc) but no one is almost using it.

Btw, it appeared that on the forums stahl said he would make 10 series in a year. It seems that the post is nowhere to be found these days  :D

Maybe no one is using it because they didn't know about it?  I didn't until you said it.  Thanks BTW!

Also, just walked into my ship's engine room and saw a crewmember NPC jump from the top level.  Maybe I should suggest counseling.  :funny

To Boldly Go...Again.

Offline majormagna

• English Idiot
  • Cookies: 5
  • Bail Out!
« Reply #2663 on: January 15, 2012, 03:45:47 PM »
Stahl is gone, so there's no reason to continue that promise.

Stahl left, but he's back (But not as Exec. Producer), he's one of the lead devs on the Foundry team now.

Also, if you haven't played a Foundry mission called (somethng along the lines of) "Dereliction Duty", I suggest you do (It's one of the top rated ones) because it puts some Cryptic missions to shame!
Did you know I'm on Twitter?

Offline sovereign001

« Reply #2664 on: January 15, 2012, 03:52:46 PM »
I will check it out, to be honest, almost 80 % if not more of the foundry missions put a lot of cryptic missions to shame. The persons that are making those foundry missions are just persons, gamers, that are doing this in their free time. THey can make beautiful, interesting missions in a week or less. Check out how many foundry missions there are. That's the reasons also why there is such a massive flaming about this on the sto forum. Why the devs won't make more missions instead of the extreme pricing fluff.

Offline FarShot

« Reply #2665 on: January 15, 2012, 04:19:11 PM »
Did play Dereliction Duty.  I admire everything about it except for the low ceiling.  Yeah, I get it.  Canon ceilings are 3 meters high plus or minus.  But it just doesn't work in the game.  Jesus Christ, people, you can't have both true to canon and a good MMO.  And don't say Infinite Space, because last I checked, starships can move three-dimensionally.

Offline majormagna

• English Idiot
  • Cookies: 5
  • Bail Out!
« Reply #2666 on: January 15, 2012, 04:22:50 PM »
Well considering there are more than tenfold the number of players than devs... and given that a lot of these missions take weeks at a time to build. These players also don't have a time limit to make a mission in, so they don't have to rush anything.

What I don't understand is why people are complaining that they have even better missions to play...

As has been said, this "extreme pricing fluff" is their main way of making money from the game now; unless you want it full of adverts?

And FarShot, although I felt the ceilings were a tad too low, they were very good considering the mechanics of the Foundry when it was published.
Did you know I'm on Twitter?

Offline sovereign001

« Reply #2667 on: January 15, 2012, 04:37:18 PM »

As has been said, this "extreme pricing fluff" is their main way of making money from the game now; unless you want it full of adverts?

It's a f2p, they need money, so they are gonna do it by using the c-store, i know, of course! They aren't a non-profit organisation.

But i don't know if you were there from the beginning? People that had retrofit ship (highest tier) it was given to them, i don't know the full story because i did my vessel away for something else, but every retrofit ship is gone that was given to the people, and now they need to pay for it (for something that they had). That is already one thing that is bugging a lot of people. But its not only that, please just visit the forums, read some threads. You will understand me and josh and probaby 89 percent of the forum over there. People that were there from the beginning, just don't feel the need anymore to come online. Log in, check duty officiers, log out. THat's the spirit with a lot of people these day i've read. I'm doing some foundry missions but i do understand them. And somehow i'm afraid that f2p isn't going to help sto. (people are buying less and less from the c-store because the prices three doubled almost) Before i get a bat'leth in my back again, please this is an opinion, not a fact! There are many people who share this too!

Offline FarShot

« Reply #2668 on: January 15, 2012, 04:42:30 PM »
And FarShot, although I felt the ceilings were a tad too low, they were very good considering the mechanics of the Foundry when it was published.

I didn't say the ceiling was bad.  It's just that it seems when people complain about STO or Star Trek XI, it always comes down to stupid things like, "Oh, it doesn't look exactly like it did on the show," or, "Spock and Uhura together?  Blasphemy!"  It really annoys me because its like they don't expect things to change due to the times.  Star Trek (TOS) was supposed to reflect social issues of the day like racism, feminism, and the Cold War.  I think the franchise should continue that tradition of parallelism.  Yeah, Spock is angsty in ST XI, but that reflects what a lot of young adults (like me) feel these days.  And yes, Star Trek Online does try to act like other MMO's, but that's what they need to do to draw in people who play MMO's but may not be familiar with Trekdom.

So it just irks me when I see people doing things to metaphorically stick it to the man.  Childish rage like that is what kills the franchise.  If it were mandatory that fans of Trek had to wear form-fitting pastel shirts in public all the time and wear toupees, I'm sure Trek would've died right then.

Offline Lionus

• Cookies: 79
« Reply #2669 on: January 15, 2012, 05:58:26 PM »
Ah, so it's free now? I wonder if my old subscription works for free now.. I'd hate to lose all that vice-admiral stuff lol
Star Trek Quad-nacelle fanboy Extraordinaire

StarFleet Research and Development Crash Test Dummie/Test pilot

"Beyond the rim of the star-light
My love
Is wand'ring in star-flight
I know
He'll find in star-clustered reaches
Love,
Strange love a star woman teaches.
I know
His journey ends never
His star trek
Will go on forever.
But tell him
While he wanders his starry sea
Remember, remember me."

Offline FarShot

« Reply #2670 on: January 15, 2012, 06:06:47 PM »
That it does.  Early F2P access for past subscribers has been up for a week.  You can hop in at anytime.

Offline Lionus

« Reply #2671 on: January 16, 2012, 12:13:02 AM »
And this is the reason why I stopped playing earlier.. they still haven't gotten it fixed.

:facepalm:

Yes, I like games, but not when they look like acid trip gone wrong.

My love
I know
Love,
I know
His journey ends never
His star trek
Will go on forever.
But tell him
Remember, remember me."

Offline Nebula

• BC elder / BCC Vice Admin
  • Administrator
  • Cookies: 1129
  • KM - Mod Team Member & BC - Elder (2002)
    • 9th fleet HQ
« Reply #2672 on: January 16, 2012, 12:22:55 AM »
seems more like a graphical glich on your side of things...
Canon is what people argue exists on ships that don't exist.

Offline FarShot

« Reply #2673 on: January 16, 2012, 12:23:04 AM »
Uh, that's something wrong on your end.  Have you tried messing with your video options?

EDIT:  Curse you and your slightly faster reply, Neb. :P

Offline Lionus

« Reply #2674 on: January 16, 2012, 12:30:45 AM »
what on earth could cause some textures glitch like that? :lostit: Now that I think of it, CFS3 suffers from same stuff.. please, tell me that it has to do with the software settings rather than hardware.. :banghead:

My love
I know
Love,
I know
His journey ends never
His star trek
Will go on forever.
But tell him
Remember, remember me."

Offline Nebula

• BC elder / BCC Vice Admin
  • Administrator
  • Cookies: 1129
  • KM - Mod Team Member & BC - Elder (2002)
    • 9th fleet HQ
« Reply #2675 on: January 16, 2012, 12:33:28 AM »
could be memory issues... could be issues with lighting options or shaders...

I think I've said this before... but have you not run STO at all with all options set to low? just for laughs?
Canon is what people argue exists on ships that don't exist.

Offline Lionus

« Reply #2676 on: January 16, 2012, 02:26:25 AM »
Not yet

My love
I know
Love,
I know
His journey ends never
His star trek
Will go on forever.
But tell him
Remember, remember me."

Offline sovereign001

« Reply #2677 on: January 16, 2012, 07:55:12 AM »
Looks like minecraft!

Offline flarespire

• The one who breaks the cycle.
  • Cookies: 47
  • God Green God Dammit!
« Reply #2678 on: January 16, 2012, 08:26:01 AM »
looks like your GPU is on the fritz may want to try updating your drivers and playing around with your overall graphics setting on your machine.

Offline Lionus

« Reply #2679 on: January 16, 2012, 10:29:00 AM »
the drivers are up to date, I updated them this week, and at the moment there's no single driver that is outdated on my comp :Pcould be that some of the GFX cards settings are forcing something on STO and CFS3 that they don't like.. :lostit: I'll take a closer look at it.

My love
I know
Love,
I know
His journey ends never
His star trek