Author Topic: Star Trek Online thread  (Read 167644 times)

Offline captain_obvious

• The captain of obvious-ness
  • Cookies: 54
    • ARmy Rumour SErvice- British Army Unofficial community
Re: Star Trek Online thread
« Reply #3880 on: March 21, 2013, 10:51:11 AM »
Indeed, I do like the look of the new UI, but it looks as if they've simply re-made the existing UI rather than doing a full redesign which imo is needed simply for the sake of usability.
I miss :bigdance:

Offline FarShot

• That guy with good ideas...
  • Cookies: 787
  • I'm actually making stuff! :D
« Reply #3881 on: March 21, 2013, 03:12:43 PM »
Longest Trek series max out at seven seasons.  Makes sense for this not to be a Season 8.  Can't believe some of you guys are still extremely pessimistic.  This is the biggest thing Cryptic has done in a long time.

Fen Domar as the Romulan enemy?  That Romulan ship at the beginning of the video looks like a hybrid of Romulan design and that of these alien vessels.

Offline Tuskin38

• Cookies: 111
« Reply #3882 on: March 21, 2013, 04:32:48 PM »
That UI is very sexy. It also says "Choose the HUD color palate that works for you."

Pretty vague, it could either mean you can choose any colours you wish, or it comes with preset templates.

Judging by the UI Picture, the first Romulan rank is Sublieutenant. Going by Memory-Alpha, the next 4 ranks would be Lieutenant, Centurion, Subcommander, then Commander.

Offline captain_obvious

« Reply #3883 on: March 21, 2013, 05:46:21 PM »
Longest Trek series max out at seven seasons.  Makes sense for this not to be a Season 8.

MMO, not a trek series.

Can't believe some of you guys are still extremely pessimistic.

I don't like pessimism, but given cryptics track record it's warranted.  If all is well then great.  
But form.  Form form form.

This is the biggest thing Cryptic has done in a long time.

It looks like it, but we won't know until it hits.  But going off cryptics previous form and the fact that the "countdown" was nothing more than the announcement has me worried.

Fen Domar as the Romulan enemy?  That Romulan ship at the beginning of the video looks like a hybrid of Romulan design and that of these alien vessels.

Indeed.

Offline Tuskin38

« Reply #3884 on: March 21, 2013, 06:14:45 PM »
Why did you expect the Countdown to be anything else? Its not May yet.

The countdown ended on what I expected it would be. An Announcement.

And I would say a faction is their biggest thing yet. Its a faction, with unique missions for the Romulans and everything.

Offline Darkthunder

• Vice Administrator
  • Cookies: 1527
« Reply #3885 on: March 21, 2013, 06:27:01 PM »
And I would say a faction is their biggest thing yet. Its a faction, with unique missions for the Romulans and everything.

"unique missions for the Romulans" remains to be seen.

Here's what I think they did to get KDF to "full level 1-50 progression":

- Set character starter level to 1
- Move unique KDF missions from current 20+ levels, to follow chronologically after level 1
- New contacts, to run pre-existing FED missions in areas such as Regulus Sector Block, Pi Canis, Romulan sectors and Cardassian sectors

As a result, KDF -might- have unique missions for the first 10 or so levels, all of which already exist, just moved to a lower level. In other words, no new missions. After that, the KDF runs exactly the same missions that the FEDs have been running for the past 3 years, which again means, no new missions.

It may be a cynical or pessimistic view of what they may have done, but it would be somewhat logical in order to explain how they could "suddenly" have full leveling progression for the KDF. The same holds true for the new Romulan faction, with a handful of unique Romulan missions, and the possibility that they simply run the same missions as the FEDs, after their "starter area".
Official BCC Discord ยท https://discord.gg/nJAx4HNQ2G
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Offline Tuskin38

« Reply #3886 on: March 21, 2013, 06:35:27 PM »
Well if they've been working on this since Season 7 finished (around November), then in May it will have around 7 months of work on it.

I rewatched the trailer, that romulan BOP at the end has unique explosion with a singularity in the middle of it. Its all Swirly.

Offline FarShot

• That guy with good ideas...
  • Cookies: 787
  • I'm actually making stuff! :D
« Reply #3887 on: March 21, 2013, 07:16:09 PM »
7 months work.  They have content developers.  So if you're telling me the only thing that content developers did during the last seven months was make "Temporal Ambassador" I'll be laughing my ass off.

Offline Tuskin38

« Reply #3888 on: March 21, 2013, 07:46:33 PM »
Because they were all focused on the Romulans these last 7 months. Takes a lot to make a faction I would assume. You'd need the system guys, Art guys, writers etc.

Offline ShaunKL

• Cookies: 3
  • Semper Exploro
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #3889 on: March 21, 2013, 10:37:38 PM »
I am so pumped for the new UI.
Thanks for letting me know the forum was back up, guys.  I thought everyone died.

Offline Joshmaul

• Lunatic with a Starship
  • Cookies: 8
  • A Mind Without Purpose Will Walk in Dark Places
« Reply #3890 on: March 22, 2013, 05:03:03 AM »
7 months work.  They have content developers.  So if you're telling me the only thing that content developers did during the last seven months was make "Temporal Ambassador" I'll be laughing my ass off.

I find it amusing, Cap'n, that your response to people being overly pessimistic is by being overly optimistic. Given that the KE has been a horribly neglected hackjob for the better part of the last three years, I'm with Darkthunder on this one - we're getting a little itty bit of unique content, and a shitload of rehashes. Because that's...really all we have for the KE at this point, which is why they cut the level grind in half. The majority of Klingon levelling is done by playing out the Feature Episodes, which - with the exception of the ships and crews you use, and to a degree the contacts you have to start them, end them, so on - are virtually identical regardless of who's playing it. (It will be interesting to see how they will rehash the FEs - the Cloaked Intentions one in particular - to fit with the new RomRep, given that some have voice-overs specific to the factions. If they decide to rehash them at all, or give them VOs.)

I will be the first to be amazed if it proves to be more than what we pessimists predict, but given how much we've essentially been drip-fed for the last three years, I am not getting my hopes up too much. Except for the chance to actually decide how to use the two empty character slots I have left, heh heh.
"If one does as God does enough times, one will become as God is." - Dr. Hannibal Lecter

Offline Tuskin38

« Reply #3891 on: March 27, 2013, 08:31:34 PM »
Someone brought this up on the STO forums.

The new enemy mentioned in LOR page is attacking the "Beta Quadrant" which is home to the Klingons and Romulans.

Maybe that is how the Klingons have 1-50 now, they're going to share some of the Romulan Missions, or have their own based on this new enemy.

Some popular theories are that they're the aliens that only appeared once in enterprise from the episode 'Silent Enemy'

Offline ACES_HIGH

• BCC Roleplay Game Narrator
  • while(!(succeed=try()));
    • BCC Roleplay Games
« Reply #3892 on: March 28, 2013, 01:10:00 AM »
I think that's all but confirmed, they dropped a pretty big hint by calling this new baddie "The Silent Enemy" on the LoR page.

Offline Joshmaul

• Lunatic with a Starship
  • Cookies: 8
  • A Mind Without Purpose Will Walk in Dark Places
« Reply #3893 on: March 28, 2013, 08:58:11 AM »
According to Memory Alpha, from the links of the episode in the question, they're called "Shroomies". Given that it's "so human", as the Vulcans might put it, I'm hoping the actual name is something a tad more...exotic? (Like "Undine" for 8472, for instance.)
"If one does as God does enough times, one will become as God is." - Dr. Hannibal Lecter

Offline captain_obvious

« Reply #3894 on: March 28, 2013, 10:45:11 AM »
I still call those "undine" "8472"...

New patch btw

EDIT

What.The.Actual.Fuck?
Bit short isn't it?  :lostit:

Offline Tuskin38

« Reply #3895 on: March 28, 2013, 05:57:08 PM »
New tribble patch, 1GB if you're doing patch on demand

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?p=8868241

The new UI :D the beginings of LOR are appearing.

Offline captain_obvious

« Reply #3896 on: March 28, 2013, 08:20:17 PM »
btw, there's a big big very bad bug with any ship that can saucer sep or mvam. Causes lag and horrendous cpu usage to everyone in an instance. 

If you have a ship with that, don't use it for now please :)

Offline Tuskin38

« Reply #3897 on: March 28, 2013, 10:15:20 PM »
I uploaded some images of romulans a exploding and other things on tribble.

http://minus.com/mbqKBtvXPV3Of5

So the colour pallets for the the UI are on tribble, but the UI option is bugged in the patch, you can change them how ever by editing your gameprefs file. Which is allowed, it won't get you banned or anything

Star Trek Online\Playtest\Localdata\Gameprefs.Pref

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=8874341&postcount=44

The alternate color palettes are available right now, but due to a bug in the current build, the option for selecting the color palette isn't available. However, it is possible to edit GamePrefs.pref and manually select one of the alternate color palette by adding a new PrefEntry for ColorPalette.

e.g.
PrefEntry ColorPalette Federation

The available color palettes are Federation, TNG, Voyager, Klingon, Gorn, Orion, Romulan, and Reman. The color palettes with the greatest differences are Federation, Klingon, and Romulan. The remaining color palettes are based off of one of the faction generic color scheme so there'll be some similarities.

Here are some shots

TNG:

Voyager:

Romulan:

Offline captain_obvious

« Reply #3898 on: March 29, 2013, 09:19:11 AM »
It doesn't look half bad! I'm not completely sold on it, but for that I'll just have to try it myself.
I just hope that cryptic has managed to drastically reduce the cpu usage of the UI.  It's been getting worse and worse lately, to the point where if I open my friends list, doff screen, foundry screen or anything the game becomes noticeably slower.  This has only been occurring in the last few months, ever since s7 went live.

I wonder if the current fed UI is going to stay as say, an andorian UI scheme? :P

Offline Tuskin38

« Reply #3899 on: March 29, 2013, 09:35:26 AM »
If you mean the UI on the live server? Its gone, completely replaced with this. Blue is still the default colour.