Author Topic: Star Trek Online thread  (Read 169262 times)

Offline Joshmaul

• Lunatic with a Starship
  • Cookies: 8
  • A Mind Without Purpose Will Walk in Dark Places
Re: Star Trek Online thread
« Reply #4080 on: May 20, 2013, 10:56:19 AM »
Big spikes coming out of his D'Deridex, and apparently fires off missiles similar to the Narada.

Why am I all of a sudden imagining him screaming "FIRE EVERYTHING!!!" at that description? *chuckles*
"If one does as God does enough times, one will become as God is." - Dr. Hannibal Lecter

Offline Darkthunder

• Vice Administrator
  • Cookies: 1527
« Reply #4081 on: May 20, 2013, 06:57:59 PM »
So now they are actually using JJverse content for lockboxes?

Next thing you'll know, they'll be adding the JJverse Enterprise, Kelvin and uniforms... despite the game supposedly being set in the "prime" universe. New lockbox looked kinda meh. Not particularly waiting for tomorrow, since the server will be unplayable for most of the day (due to "Unexpected downtime" and "Emergency maintenance"). Wait and see...
Official BCC Discord · https://discord.gg/nJAx4HNQ2G
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Offline FarShot

• That guy with good ideas...
  • Cookies: 787
  • I'm actually making stuff! :D
« Reply #4082 on: May 20, 2013, 07:07:38 PM »
The Narada obtained that technology from the prime timeline in 2387.  Check your facts before making wild accusations.

Offline Darkthunder

• Vice Administrator
« Reply #4083 on: May 20, 2013, 07:38:05 PM »
I wasn't accusing them of anything FarShot.

I know quite well where the "Narada tech" originally came from. Read both the Countdown comics for the 2009 movie, and Countdown Into Darkness. Point is, these comics are part of "Paramount Star Trek canon", which up until now, I thought was off-limits for Cryptic, since their license is to anything owned by CBS (i.e the previous 10 movies and 5 tv-shows).
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Offline Tuskin38

• Cookies: 111
« Reply #4084 on: May 20, 2013, 07:42:02 PM »
It resembles but isn't an exact copy of the Narada tech. I don't think they can copyright that.

They might have limited access to some JJverse stuff.

the Hobus system and Star were inventions for Countdown/XI, 'Nero' is mentioned in Spock's opening speech when creating a new character as a Fed.

We have a 'Red Matter' capacitor item in game.

Also the JJ Universe Uniforms are already in the game files, have been since launch, and for almost 2 years one of the NPCs in the mission 'Treasure Trading Station', was wearing one.

They changed it sometime last year. Might still have a screenshot on steam.

Offline FarShot

« Reply #4085 on: May 20, 2013, 07:59:29 PM »
You used terms like "JJVerse" and "prime timeline", which has no bearing on who owns it, but are terms used to describe the parallel universes.  The Kelvin and Narada are natives of the prime timeline, so for all in-universe reasons they could have completely justified appearances in STO.

Offline Darkthunder

• Vice Administrator
« Reply #4086 on: May 20, 2013, 08:12:23 PM »
You misunderstand me, FarShot.

I have no issues with them adding "JJverse" tech or ships to STO, regardless of if it's prime timeline, alternate timeline, future timeline whatever. That ship has long since sailed, since STO in no way is considered the "canon" i'd see as potential future to the "prime timeline". What I meant was, up until now I thought that anything related to the JJ movies was offlimits for Cryptic and STO, since the movies/comics are owned by Paramount, while Cryptic has the license from CBS (for 5 shows + 10 movies).
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Offline FarShot

« Reply #4087 on: May 20, 2013, 08:18:29 PM »

Next thing you'll know, they'll be adding the JJverse Enterprise, Kelvin and uniforms... despite the game supposedly being set in the "prime" universe.

That sounded like you were upset that they were somehow getting alternate timeline stuff into the prime timeline.  You should be clearer that you meant to refer to intellectual property and not the actual universes.  Using terms like "JJVerse" and "prime universe" throws that off.

Besides, CBS and Paramount are something of a united entity, at least at times.

Offline FarShot

« Reply #4088 on: May 20, 2013, 08:36:51 PM »
I don't mean to be antagonistic by the way.  I'm just a bit pissed at the world at the moment with this stupid tornado.  Still don't know the status of a few of my friends.

Offline Darkthunder

• Vice Administrator
« Reply #4089 on: May 20, 2013, 08:55:02 PM »
Ahh gotcha. Hope your friends are safe.

I admit, I could've explained things better. I gave up being upset about things that Cryptic adds to STO, when they started adding alien, and even temporal lockboxes. :P
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Offline Shadowknight1

• Cookies: 71
  • Star Trek Into Darkness
« Reply #4090 on: May 20, 2013, 11:00:04 PM »

Next thing you'll know, they'll be adding the JJverse Enterprise, Kelvin and uniforms... despite the game supposedly being set in the "prime" universe. New lockbox looked kinda meh. Not particularly waiting for tomorrow, since the server will be unplayable for most of the day (due to "Unexpected downtime" and "Emergency maintenance"). Wait and see...
I want the JJ-verse Enterprise.  Big time.  And the Kelvin would fit in the game anyways since it's pretimeline split.  I see what you're saying though.  CBS is actually pretty much the reason we don't have a tv show right now.

To Boldly Go...Again.

Offline captain_obvious

• The captain of obvious-ness
  • Cookies: 54
    • ARmy Rumour SErvice- British Army Unofficial community
« Reply #4091 on: May 21, 2013, 11:09:04 AM »
I want the JJ-verse Enterprise.  Big time.  And the Kelvin would fit in the game anyways since it's pretimeline split.  I see what you're saying though.  CBS is actually pretty much the reason we don't have a tv show right now.

Ugh. No.  I utterly despise that jjprise. That said, many of cryptics own designs are awful as well.  The different configurations for a variety of the ships like the "exploration cruiser" or "research science vessel", or almost all of the non canon klingon ships they have in there are simply dreadful so it's not as if they don't have a record of having horrific looking ships in game!

The Kelvin though, I would love to have a go with her!  I think that ship deserves it's own damn series, set between ent and tos.
I miss :bigdance:

Offline nxadam1701

• Cookies: 20
« Reply #4092 on: May 21, 2013, 12:13:55 PM »
Some things are nice. The Kelvin I like, the other older ships we see around JJprise too are very interesting. The uniforms etc...

But I agree a series btwn those to eras would be great. Lots of conflict and story telling to tell when founding/expanding the federation.

Offline captain_obvious

« Reply #4093 on: May 21, 2013, 02:59:13 PM »
Some things are nice. The Kelvin I like, the other older ships we see around JJprise too are very interesting. The uniforms etc...
Oh yes, the other ships in the JJverse are actually rather nice.  It's just the JJprise itself that I hate.  The 2230s uniforms are rather nice too imo.

LOR is patched.  Just waiting on servers coming up now.

Offline Joshmaul

« Reply #4094 on: May 21, 2013, 06:15:36 PM »
Not surprisingly, bug central. Slow patching to start, and at the moment, the issue is people being unable to log back in if they exit/get booted, or change characters. Fun!
"If one does as God does enough times, one will become as God is." - Dr. Hannibal Lecter

Offline Tuskin38

« Reply #4095 on: May 21, 2013, 06:20:56 PM »
I can login to the launcher, but the game fails at 'retrieving characters'

Kicks me out with "Login failed for an unknown reason"

Offline BFGfreak

• Cookies: 3
    • My Twitch.TV livestreaming channel
« Reply #4096 on: May 21, 2013, 06:32:37 PM »
The server overload does give me a chance to catch up on my plans on Kerbal Space Program though. After all I did plan on this happening given the circumstances, no doubt the servers are running way past capacity and with people downloading the game/patch and attempting to log in it would be foolish to expect otherwise.
In the battle of ghosts vs robots, robots always win....except in anime.
-Sarge

Offline Joshmaul

« Reply #4097 on: May 21, 2013, 06:44:17 PM »
The server overload does give me a chance to catch up on my plans on Kerbal Space Program though.

That seems to be popular, I notice; I've been testing the demo, and it's been a barrel of laughs, heh. To quote a WoW boss: "EXPLOSIONS! MORE EXPLOSIONS! I GOTTA HAVE MORE EXPLOSIONS!"

Offline Tuskin38

« Reply #4098 on: May 21, 2013, 06:57:13 PM »
Oh come one, how come some people can login and not others? My dad can login fine :|

Offline captain_obvious

« Reply #4099 on: May 21, 2013, 07:26:04 PM »
Oh come one, how come some people can login and not others? My dad can login fine :|

I could too.

Many people have been having issues with their free toon slot not appearing.  Mostly gold subbers from what I hear. 
Others have been having trouble with their legacy packs not being in the c-store even though they paid for them.