Author Topic: Star Trek Online thread  (Read 168704 times)

Offline Tuskin38

• Cookies: 111
Re: Star Trek Online thread
« Reply #4640 on: January 15, 2014, 04:37:17 PM »
NEw Dev Blog

http://sto.perfectworld.com/blog/?p=1079141

We also will be releasing a new featured episode alongside the update ? it stars a Star Trek actor who will bring their character to STO for the first time.

Tim Russ/Tuvok if the ingame files are accurate.

Offline Tuskin38

« Reply #4641 on: January 15, 2014, 08:46:44 PM »

Offline captain_obvious

• The captain of obvious-ness
  • Cookies: 54
    • ARmy Rumour SErvice- British Army Unofficial community
« Reply #4642 on: January 16, 2014, 09:54:11 AM »
Not me.  I don't even know what a puush link is!
I miss :bigdance:

Offline Tuskin38

« Reply #4643 on: January 16, 2014, 03:09:49 PM »
Not me.  I don't even know what a puush link is!

It is this, just a file hoster.

http://puush.me/

New devblog about the updated Klingon War Arc

http://sto.perfectworld.com/blog/?p=1079881

I like this image. it is the Federation Embassy on Regulas from the updated Kuvah'Magh mission.

Offline Darkthunder

• Vice Administrator
  • Cookies: 1527
« Reply #4644 on: January 16, 2014, 04:31:14 PM »
So basically, what the reception area should look like aboard ESD, where you form fleets, recruit new officers, train bridge officer skills etc. ESD could certainly do with a major interior makeover.
Official BCC Discord ยท https://discord.gg/nJAx4HNQ2G
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Offline captain_obvious

« Reply #4645 on: January 16, 2014, 04:47:05 PM »
I rather like that image too.  It seems very sharp and vibrant.  Pity it wont represent what the game actually looks like (unless you routinely run the game at max settings with crazy AA/AF and renderscale at some silly setting like 3). 
It seems more like the lobby at the headquarters of some uber corporation, with a few cheap tacky and out of place looking planters, plus a couple of banners dotted around.

The image very sharp though.

Offline Tuskin38

« Reply #4646 on: January 16, 2014, 06:57:32 PM »
It was probably scaled down, none of the images they post in devblogs are their original resolution, you can really tell.

I run everything as high as it can do (except bloom, I hate bloom), so my game routinely looks almost that good.

Always, D'Angelo says he is only here as a temp, for 3-4 updates.

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=14527041&postcount=358

Also, more species specific dialogue options coming in future missions, along with career accolades

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=14527251&postcount=34

Vulcans, for instance, will sometimes react differently than humans, much like we did in the new Federation tutorial. (In fact, for an upcoming later release I just wrote a short but noticeable special dialog for Bajorans!)

More data mining by SFC

The Dyson Sphere from TNG has a name, Jenolan. Which was the name of the ship that crashed into it in 'Relics'

Offline BarnesSFC

• Cookies: 1
« Reply #4647 on: January 16, 2014, 09:37:07 PM »
Highlights of PVP impromptu stream:
the KDF-FED war will being ending soon. find out soon.
2014 is the year of the crafting revamp
next week will have a video about who the new ST actor coming to STO is, interview etc (tim russ)
an enemy group will be getting an update/buff, reasons/enemy not yet known. it is not the voth who recently got a buff nor the borg. undine possibly, unconfirmed. buff enemy will be coming before season 9, after season 8.5
brandon has passed along chnages for nimbus distress call for shuttles
ARC will not be utilized with steam, brandon is fairly certain this will not change.
expansion later in the year will be delta quadrant oriented.
STOFugitive confirmed to be fake. not a soul at cryptic/pwe is working on it.

More here: http://www.twitch.tv/perfectworld_community/b/495786914

Offline Joshmaul

• Lunatic with a Starship
  • Cookies: 8
  • A Mind Without Purpose Will Walk in Dark Places
« Reply #4648 on: January 17, 2014, 06:56:22 AM »
The Dyson Sphere from TNG has a name, Jenolan. Which was the name of the ship that crashed into it in 'Relics'

Figure it was probably the idea of the two science vessels Starfleet dispatched to study the Dyson Sphere while the Enterprise proceeded to Starbase 55. :D
"If one does as God does enough times, one will become as God is." - Dr. Hannibal Lecter

Offline captain_obvious

« Reply #4649 on: January 17, 2014, 09:52:18 AM »
It was probably scaled down, none of the images they post in devblogs are their original resolution, you can really tell.

I run everything as high as it can do (except bloom, I hate bloom), so my game routinely looks almost that good.

For screenshots, the generally (if not always) take them at much higher resolution than what they need then scale it down as you pointed out.  I also run my game with the settings as high as they can be and my game sure as hell doesn't look quite that sharp! 
Though I'm with you on bloom.  I keep it turned off in pretty much all games.

D'an2 (what I shall now call Mr D'Angelo) says that he is going to be here for *at least* 3 - 4 updates and that it is not temporary.
Second, this position isn't a temporary one for me. I'm not sure how long my tenure will be, but I expect to be here for at least three or four updates.
My bold.

I find his post to be rather odd.  It has moments where it makes me that little bit happier, followed by bits that bring me right back down to earth. 
I'm glad that he at least to some extent acknowledges that old bugs do exist, but both the things he mentions to "evidence" his assertion are both things that were only recently announced.  Are they going to fix bugs and clean up content? Or are they just giving us lip service? (oh myyy).

I can understand his reluctance to say what's coming in the future, his reasons are logical and he has doubtlessly had bitter experience in the past.  I can't blame him.

What bothers me, is his lack of emphasis on "more communication".  It's a very common question and the content of his answer is a little unsettling (not to mention it's relative size to the other parts of the post). 

Third, there are lots of requests for more communication. I'll do me best to communicate regularly both directly and through the team. I can say that I'm not a forum person, and that I will probably communicate more via Dev Blogs than in the forums, but I'll post every now and then.

So more of the same then?  Though I can't really blame him too much, given the typos throughout his post :P
But really, have the sto forums that difficult to use since the so called "upgrade"? (Hint hint). 
But no really, this passage just tells me that things aren't going to change from how the stahl was running things.

3) To work to stretch the game in new ways. I'll be working with the team to do new things and to change up the game to keep it fresh. A static and unchanging game gets stale. Change is part of growth, and I want to see STO grow. Change is scary for some people, however, and I'll work to keep you informed about scary changes well before they get live. I highly value the input of the community and want to make sure that we do what is best for the game as a whole.
Ah. Now this is a part that I'm rather bothered by.  Not annoyed mind you, just perplexed. 

To work to stretch the game in new ways. I'll be working with the team to do new things and to change up the game to keep it fresh. A static and unchanging game gets stale. Change is part of growth, and I want to see STO grow.
I can't blame him there.  The game could use some changes in some areas (Exploration zones? Ground combat? Bridges and interiors? Diplomatic missions? Marauding?).

Change is scary for some people, however, and I'll work to keep you informed about scary changes well before they get live.

So big changes are coming and there is nothing we can do about it?  Doom-song time anyone?  This part bothers me.  They need some changes in some areas yes (BIG changes in a few of those long abandoned areas), but he is keeping awfully schtum about it.
Not even a hint like "Some of the less used areas of the game will be reviewed".

I highly value the input of the community and want to make sure that we do what is best for the game as a whole.
Didn't the stahl say something along those lines when he took over last time?  We know how that worked out, so given our previous experience I'll have to say "BS" on this one.  But you never know.  Cautious optimism is no bad thing.

At the moment, we're 100% focused on delivering an excellent 8.5 update and 4th anniversary celebration two weeks from today
No BFAW fix? :P

and I'm off to work.
Get to work ye slave! :D

Offline Tuskin38

« Reply #4650 on: January 17, 2014, 03:58:57 PM »
New Dev Blog

http://sto.perfectworld.com/blog/?p=1081431

They're updating the Undine space experience. I wonder why?

Also, no it has nothing to do with a Lock box according to Branflakes.

Offline Tuskin38

« Reply #4651 on: January 17, 2014, 06:24:48 PM »
The Anniversary ship appears to be a rep-reward

3:14 PM - SFC3: data/texture_library/UI/Kits/Reputation/Projects/Reputation_Project_Event_Anniversary_04_Ship_Fed.wtex
3:15 PM - SFC3: data/texture_library/UI/Kits/Reputation/Projects/Reputation_Project_Event_Anniversary_04_Ship_Rom.wtex
3:15 PM - SFC3: data/texture_library/UI/Kits/Reputation/Projects/Reputation_Project_Event_Anniversary_04_Ship_Kdf.wtex

Tuvok has lines introducing himself as a Captain, Rear Admiral, Vice Admiral and Admiral. I'm assuming it changes depending on your rank so you don't out rank him.

Lieutenant to Commander Hes a Captain
Captain = Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral = Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral = Full Admiral

Edit:

huh, they have sound clips of him saying all the 'Congratulations *Rank*' for all 3 factions.

Maybe they'll give you the option to have him say it instead of Spock/Sela/Worf

Offline Joshmaul

• Lunatic with a Starship
  • Cookies: 8
  • A Mind Without Purpose Will Walk in Dark Places
« Reply #4652 on: January 18, 2014, 04:37:55 AM »
Also, no it has nothing to do with a Lock box according to Branflakes.

All I'll say to that is "give it time".
"If one does as God does enough times, one will become as God is." - Dr. Hannibal Lecter

Offline Tuskin38

« Reply #4653 on: January 18, 2014, 02:01:02 PM »
All I'll say to that is "give it time".

Well evidence suggests the next lockbox is Hirogen.

/renderscale  is great command for taking nice screenshots what ever number you put after it scales the ingame res by that number. Just making sure you're in DX9 mode, anything higher then default in DX11 mode makes the TGAs come out black. then use /screenshot for a TGA file, or just hit the regular screenshot button (Print screen) for a jpeg. Steam screenshots take a picture of your screen, not the internal resolution so that won't work.

Downscaled from a 5760x3240 TGA to 1920x1080 PNG.

Offline captain_obvious

« Reply #4654 on: January 18, 2014, 10:18:07 PM »
Renderscale is great for torturing your PC lol!    That second shot looks great, but the first one (of the excel refit) looks nasty.  The STO excel model probably wouldn't have been too out of place in a circa 2003-2004 install of BC!  Then again, I've never been a fan of the "fleet" ship skin or the windows in STO.

At that high resolution though, you could almost do away with AA!

Offline Tuskin38

« Reply #4655 on: January 18, 2014, 11:28:57 PM »
Have shots of my other 3 50's ships

I think the Scimitar is one of their better models. Then again, there are not many references shots of the model from Nemisis, and the movie is pretty dark.

Offline 1DeadlySAMURAI

• Cookies: 139
  • Do'h
« Reply #4656 on: January 19, 2014, 06:50:27 PM »
Posted on UFP forums for those of you who are not members.
These are unconfirmed what might be 4th anniversary reward.
ROM

KDF

FED

Offline Tuskin38

« Reply #4657 on: January 19, 2014, 07:21:18 PM »
Well they're directly from the game files, SFC showed me them Friday after he extracted them. I meant to post them here but I forgot.

The texture files are called Reputation_Project_Event_Anniversary_04_Ship_***.wtex *** being ROM FED or KDF 

Offline captain_obvious

« Reply #4658 on: January 19, 2014, 07:25:03 PM »
The only one I like of those 3 is the fed one (appearance wise).  The others just look reaaaalllllly fragile..
Meh, I've never been a fan of the "lets put loads of holes in the ship in random locations!!!!!!111oneone///!!" look.

I wonder what the stats will be like...

Offline BarnesSFC

• Cookies: 1
« Reply #4659 on: January 19, 2014, 08:23:02 PM »
I can confirm these are the anniversary ship. according to VO files, the federation ship is named "Dyson" (who knew)