Author Topic: Star Trek Online thread  (Read 167674 times)

Offline hobbs

• Cookies: 77
Re: Star Trek Online thread
« Reply #5340 on: October 19, 2014, 05:58:00 AM »
please dont take offense i know its only my opinion but i really dont like that ships style
"We are dreamers, shapers, singers and makers..." Michael Ansara, "Elric" Babylon 5 "The Geometry of Shadows,"

Offline FarShot

• That guy with good ideas...
  • Cookies: 787
  • I'm actually making stuff! :D
« Reply #5341 on: October 19, 2014, 09:03:24 AM »
It's a style certainly more radical than anything else Cryptic has put out.  I'd like to point at another vessel that pushed the Starfleet aesthetic so far it has a very mixed reception - the Enterprise J.

Offline Tuskin38

• Cookies: 111
« Reply #5342 on: October 19, 2014, 10:21:42 AM »
All the Intel Ships can share nacelles if you own the others which is neat.

You can get rid of all the 'Tron' glows, and you can also apply any Hull Material to them, but I don't think any of the other materials look good on it.

The science ship also has an option for a closed saucer.

Also, I bought a Kazon Raider of the exchange for 1 Mil because why not

I say 'also' too much.

There is a mission missing, one that takes place aboard an Elachi Outpost, you can see it in 2 of the trailers, and all the files for it are there, including images for the mission Journal, it would be called "Whats Left Behind" it has the prefix "Ep7". Possible this will be a future episode, maybe something to gap releases.

They said at STLV that they had plans up to the next anniversary, and Kestral tweeted on Tuesday that there was going to be more recording sessions on Wednesday.

Offline Tuskin38

Offline Joshmaul

• Lunatic with a Starship
  • Cookies: 8
  • A Mind Without Purpose Will Walk in Dark Places
« Reply #5344 on: October 23, 2014, 12:52:07 AM »
Seeing them up close, the Vaadwaur seem to have shades of "Homeworld" to them. More specifically, I'm reminded of the Kushan ion cannon frigate.
"If one does as God does enough times, one will become as God is." - Dr. Hannibal Lecter

Offline Tuskin38

« Reply #5345 on: October 24, 2014, 04:34:15 PM »
New Hull texture coming to T6 Ships of all factions. Here is the fed one, I don't have any T6 Rom or KDF ships.

All sector maps are going to get map textures like Tau Dewa and the Delta Quadrant have now, they look great.

Offline hobbs

« Reply #5346 on: October 24, 2014, 06:14:21 PM »
hmm thats better :D
"We are dreamers, shapers, singers and makers..." Michael Ansara, "Elric" Babylon 5 "The Geometry of Shadows,"

Offline Darkthunder

• Vice Administrator
  • Cookies: 1527
« Reply #5347 on: October 25, 2014, 09:45:53 AM »
An improvement for certain, but the underlying model issues are still there. Too angular, "low poly appearance". As a rather ameteurish modeller, I feel I could easily do better.
Official BCC Discord · https://discord.gg/nJAx4HNQ2G
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Offline Tuskin38

« Reply #5348 on: October 25, 2014, 10:37:02 AM »
Too angular, "low poly appearance". As a rather ameteurish modeller, I feel I could easily do better.

But thats the whole point of the design, its meant to look "Stealthy". Thats why it is squished and angular. Lower sensor profile or some shit.

The Material can also be applied to the Guardian and Dauntless, but I don't have either of those.

The Dyson science ships can also use all standard federation Materials now

Album from a dude on reddit with the new Klingon T6 texture, plus the Fed texture on the Guardian

http://imgur.com/a/LKzDV

Offline hobbs

« Reply #5349 on: October 25, 2014, 02:28:21 PM »
An improvement for certain, but the underlying model issues are still there. Too angular, "low poly appearance". As a rather ameteurish modeller, I feel I could easily do better.

agreed... i think most of the BC community could make better models.

Offline FarShot

« Reply #5350 on: October 25, 2014, 03:37:03 PM »
As Kori said, it's intended to look angular and "low poly".  When your ship is essentially papercraft origami, poly count means squat.  I think they're very well executed for what they are.  But they very much fill a niche role.  I could only see a couple of my characters with those ships in their rosters.

Offline Darkthunder

• Vice Administrator
  • Cookies: 1527
« Reply #5351 on: October 25, 2014, 04:35:39 PM »
But thats the whole point of the design, its meant to look "Stealthy". Thats why it is squished and angular. Lower sensor profile or some shit.

In other words: You bought into Cryptic's BS excuse for the designs, hook, line and sinker.

Starfleet has a stealthy, compact vessel, capable of gathering intelligence. It's called a Defiant Class. "Stealth Aircraft in space" mean diddly squat, when you have Cloaking Devices.
Official BCC Discord · https://discord.gg/nJAx4HNQ2G
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Offline FarShot

« Reply #5352 on: October 25, 2014, 04:51:28 PM »
...except you can't fire weapons when cloaked.  What do you do when you want a ship that's still stealthy in combat?  Give it a thin profile and few reflective angles.  It's simple stealth science.  They've simply taken original arguments for why the Defiant was already a radical departure and carried them further.

Offline Tuskin38

« Reply #5353 on: October 25, 2014, 05:02:28 PM »
As Kori said, it's intended to look angular and "low poly".  When your ship is essentially papercraft origami, poly count means squat.  I think they're very well executed for what they are.  But they very much fill a niche role.  I could only see a couple of my characters with those ships in their rosters.

...except you can't fire weapons when cloaked.  What do you do when you want a ship that's still stealthy in combat?  Give it a thin profile and few reflective angles.  It's simple stealth science.  They've simply taken original arguments for why the Defiant was already a radical departure and carried them further.

Exactly this.

Offline Joshmaul

« Reply #5354 on: October 25, 2014, 05:05:21 PM »
In other words: You bought into Cryptic's BS excuse for the designs, hook, line and sinker.

It galls me that people who like a certain element of a game or try to explain it rationally are dismissed as apologists and their opinions considered "bullshit".
"If one does as God does enough times, one will become as God is." - Dr. Hannibal Lecter

Offline BarnesSFC

• Cookies: 1
« Reply #5355 on: October 25, 2014, 05:14:34 PM »
It galls me that people who like a certain element of a game or try to explain it rationally are dismissed as apologists and their opinions considered "bullshit".
The Unmitigated Gaul

Offline Tuskin38

« Reply #5356 on: October 25, 2014, 05:16:46 PM »
How is a BS excuse if it is the legit reason they designed the ships this way? They wanted to make ships that looked stealthy and they did it.

I can understand why you don't like the designs, but they're designed that way for a reason, it wasn't some BS excuse to make something radically different.

I'm not a fan Cryptic right now after the XP Nerf, I probably won't play for a while since I don't feel like grinding for levels.

Offline Joshmaul

« Reply #5357 on: October 25, 2014, 06:49:20 PM »
The Unmitigated Gaul

I just did that earlier today, heh heh.

Offline Tuskin38

« Reply #5358 on: October 25, 2014, 07:44:51 PM »
I really like the hull material. I want it for everything

Also the Escape Pod texture is pretty nice

Offline Joshmaul

« Reply #5359 on: October 25, 2014, 08:31:27 PM »
I'll confess the design looked a little wonky to me, but you make 'em look good.

*wishes he had a computer that could take screenshots like that*