Author Topic: orcus fighter  (Read 2595 times)

Offline kaden

• how did i slip into...
  • Cookies: 6
    • GKdesigns
orcus fighter
« on: January 28, 2008, 05:20:28 AM »
did these today, it still needs more decals and labels so the grey one is basically what would come out of a factory, the white one could be from a squadron
Fading away, and leaving, long for sleep
closer now, lead the way into death

---GK.Design Blog---kaden @ DeviantArt---

Offline RCgothic

• Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 51
Re: 2d orcus fighter
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2008, 06:26:21 AM »
Looks nice, though I don't know what it is.

Offline kaden

• how did i slip into...
    • GKdesigns
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2008, 03:13:19 PM »
Looks nice, though I don't know what it is.

uh its a space fightercraft

Weasel

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2008, 03:34:25 PM »
OMFG, I CAN SEE IT TOO!!!! HOLY CRAP, THAT'S FREAKIN AWESOMENESS, MAN!!!!! IT'S LIKE BATTLE STAR TREK WARS, WITH LASERS, AND TORPEDOES, AND HYPER WARP SPEED!!!!

CARAZY!!!!

Weasel

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2008, 04:55:00 PM »
But seriously, I think it looks really great, and I'd love to see some orthographic views.

Query; How big is this "fighter" supposed to be? I mean, is that long gray panel supposed to be the cockpit? It might be interesting to consider making this a larger, multi-role craft, that can be reconfigured to perform whatever mission might be needed. If it's size was closer to 1/4 the size of a Defiant, it could perform a variety of missions, while still maintaining high-speed, and fighter-like maneuverability- but with better endurance and flexibility than a smaller design could provide.
It might be more effective to consider at least a three-man crew, ( Pilot/Vehicle Commander, Co-pilot/Mission Commander, Crew-chief/Systems Operator ) to reduce the work load.

Finally, by adding a streamlined external pod, ( something along the lines of the SR-71's D-21 drone, or the B-57's big external weapons pod,  ) the craft could be configured to provide a much more lethal anti-fighter capability, it could be loaded with a sizable number of standard pho-torps or quantums for anti-cap ship missions, or tri-cobalt warheads for bombardment of static targets. Such a pod might also allow the vessel to function as a mother-ship for a number of torpedo-sized combat drones, to carry long-range sensors for reconnaissance, electronic systems for stand-off OECM jamming, or even have enough volume for a small number of people or cargo, for high-speed transport.

Naturally, removing the pod would make the vessel faster and more maneuverable than a fully loaded craft would be- at the expense of endurance, and per-sortie mission effectiveness.

Anyway, just thought I'd toss that out there for the community to ponder.

Carry on.       

Offline kaden

• how did i slip into...
    • GKdesigns
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2008, 05:08:51 PM »
But seriously, I think it looks really great, and I'd love to see some orthographic views.

Query; How big is this "fighter" supposed to be? I mean, is that long gray panel supposed to be the cockpit? It might be interesting to consider making this a larger, multi-role craft, that can be reconfigured to perform whatever mission might be needed. If it's size was closer to 1/4 the size of a Defiant, it could perform a variety of missions, while still maintaining high-speed, and fighter-like maneuverability- but with better endurance and flexibility than a smaller design could provide.
It might be more effective to consider at least a three-man crew, ( Pilot/Vehicle Commander, Co-pilot/Mission Commander, Crew-chief/Systems Operator ) to reduce the work load.

Finally, by adding a streamlined external pod, ( something along the lines of the SR-71's D-21 drone, or the B-57's big external weapons pod,  ) the craft could be configured to provide a much more lethal anti-fighter capability, it could be loaded with a sizable number of standard pho-torps or quantums for anti-cap ship missions, or tri-cobalt warheads for bombardment of static targets. Such a pod might also allow the vessel to function as a mother-ship for a number of torpedo-sized combat drones, to carry long-range sensors for reconnaissance, electronic systems for stand-off OECM jamming, or even have enough volume for a small number of people or cargo, for high-speed transport.

Naturally, removing the pod would make the vessel faster and more maneuverable than a fully loaded craft would be- at the expense of endurance, and per-sortie mission effectiveness.

Anyway, just thought I'd toss that out there for the community to ponder.

Carry on.       

i might do a top view but at the moment i decided to do a side view to sort out paint schemes and panel work. i am making it in 3d.

the grey parts on the top front section are the cockpit hatches there are no windows on the fighter. (think ace combat 3), it is around 20m long and holds two crew, pilot and navigator/sensor operator. it can be run by just one person.

internally it holds two pulse phasers, which can be swapped out for different types, and two torpedo launchers, externally its capable of varying load outs with its 8 hard points, these usually hold missiles but can carry external fuel tanks for long range missions.

also it has an additional sensor wing that can be attached.

my deviantart page has some more pics of the fighter during its conceptual stage and some 3d renders
http://kaden-dark.deviantart.com  check the scraps

Offline kaden

• how did i slip into...
    • GKdesigns
Re: orcus fighter
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2008, 11:36:21 PM »
3d version in progress, the FTL engines on the top at the rear are placeholders at the moment

Offline Nighthawk

• |______[o]_|
  • Cookies: 18
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2008, 11:49:49 PM »
sort of reminds me of Robotech's fighters  :P

Offline Armondikov

• Cookies: 21
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2008, 12:11:43 PM »
I'm almost thinking Normandy from Mass Effect.
"This is my Earth, and it's fine. It's where I spend the vast majority of my time. It's not perfect, but it's mine."

Offline cpthooker

• Cookies: 37
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2008, 01:04:41 PM »
Yeah it does a bit, I loved this and that design :)

'As a matter of cosmic history, it has always been easier to destroy, than to create.'
Capt Spock - The Wrath of Khan

PC Spec
Athlon X2 Skt AM2 6000+, 4GB DDR2 800 Ram
XFX Geforce 8800 ultra, Vista Ultimate 64bit

Offline Aeries

• Cookies: 226
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2008, 01:45:47 PM »
I'm loving this. Very clean and nicely built. I could totally see squadrons of these little beauties being unleashed upon an unsuspecting dominion convoy.  8) And wiping out their arms shipment in a single, swift strike... then warping away like it took little to no effort.

So yeah. Cool. :)

-Aeries

Offline kaden

• how did i slip into...
    • GKdesigns
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2009, 07:46:14 AM »
Latest update on the fighter, optional conformal fuel tanks are go

btw my blog has more updates of the fighter and other ship concepts too here http://gkdesigns.blogspot.com/

Offline Worf359Alpha

• Master HardPointer, Novice Scripter!
  • Cookies: 14
  • Peace Thru Superior Firepower
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2009, 12:26:45 AM »
That is the most Awsome lookin Starfighter design i have ever seen, im lookin forward to gettin ahold of that, when do you think you may have it out?
500+ HardPointed Ships and counting! Man where do i find the time!

Offline Nebula

• BC elder / BCC Vice Admin
  • Administrator
  • Cookies: 1129
  • KM - Mod Team Member & BC - Elder (2002)
    • 9th fleet HQ
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2009, 12:28:53 AM »
uh this is the GFX forum I don't think that model is meant for BC.
Canon is what people argue exists on ships that don't exist.

Offline Worf359Alpha

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2009, 12:50:30 AM »
Damn, im crushed, im gonna go cry myself to sleep now!

Offline kaden

• how did i slip into...
    • GKdesigns
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2009, 09:07:47 AM »
Im keen for a BC version, last time i tried getting the previous version of it in game no one ran with it, i think its still on these forums somewhere.

once this ones all finished ill try get a quick lower poly model done up

for now heres the latest on this design (need to do the engine details and little things like guns)

Offline King Class Scout

• Cookies: 893
  • the other half of SFRD
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2009, 10:05:19 AM »
I can also see this in one of those 20 minutes into the future sci-fi shows.  for some reason, the first thing that popped into my head was "I wonder how this would look in Yakolev blue livery?"
OS novel fan

Coming Soon: King's Mod Tuning Shop

best line I've ever read
Me: mine [my bridges] would probably be simple to get the characters to use.  the only person that sits is the captian.
Baz: space is vast there[sic] legs will be tired by the time they get to the next planet

Offline ACES_HIGH

• BCC Roleplay Game Narrator
  • Cookies: 54
  • while(!(succeed=try()));
    • BCC Roleplay Games
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2009, 01:29:18 PM »
yeah, I could see this on the hangerdeck of the Korolev.  But it easily fits into the Valkyrie linage too.

Offline Worf359Alpha

« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2009, 04:04:22 PM »
Ill be lookin forward to its release. I think it is just about perfect as is, but its your baby. I love fighters in BC and its a shame that their are not more starfighter models to choose from, perhaps after i finish my Federation Warbird, ill do a fighter or 2, though i doubt i can come up with such a sick design as the orcus.