Author Topic: Masive BC problem!!!!  (Read 1402 times)

admiral homer

Masive BC problem!!!!
« on: April 23, 2008, 05:38:06 PM »
Can anyone help me, i have jusr added some new mods to BC and now i cant start it up. All i get is a black screen with the BC cursor on it. Has anyone had this problem before and got it solved?  :(

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 833
  • Software Simian
    • the Programming Pantheon
Re: Masive BC problem!!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2008, 05:48:37 PM »
First of all, 3 words:
"Technical Support Forum"

Then, notice the stickies, particulary the one stating "How to beat the Black Screen of death".
Now, don't panic. The "of death" part is only the name the people have given this problem. It isn't really death, it can be solved.

As for your problem, it's caused by a faulty script, it could be any script in your install. To know the problem you need to get us something called a "Console Report", the sticky I mentioned before goes into getting one. Feel free to ask if you are getting any problems.
I still can't read peoples minds, nor can I read peoples computers, even worse, I can't combine the two to read what is going wrong with your BC install...

"It was filed under 'B' for blackmail." - Morse, Inspector Morse - The dead of Jericho.

Offline JimmyB76

• Cookies: 421
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2008, 06:20:43 PM »
also - make backups before installing anything, and if you plan on installing multiple mods/ships, always check each thing out ingame before installing something else...

as far as your current problem, once you post the console report (as MLeo just described) then your issue could likely be sorted...  but nothing can be done without that console report... 

admiral homer

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2008, 07:48:48 PM »
ok thank you very much guys. I must appologise for posting this thread in the incorrect forum but i was in a state of panic lol its never happened before as iam usually pretty careful how i install mods. Anyway i will get the console report tommorow as it is really late over here and iam knackered but i will do it ASAP. Thanks again

admiral homer

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2008, 02:31:07 AM »
Hello again sorry for this but i cant get a console report. How do i activate one

admiral homer

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2008, 02:57:07 AM »
Iam not sure that this method of the console report works with vista. i have tried everything i saw in the stickies and it dosnt even seem to be starting in testmode.
This is really bugging me now. wish i hadnt installed those new mods  :(

Offline Mark

• Retired Administrator
  • Cookies: 1797
  • Site Co-Founder
    • ST Excalibur
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2008, 07:15:50 AM »
make a shortcut and add -TestMode (caps sensitive).

Offline Kirk

• Cookies: 139
    • My Released Mods
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2008, 10:10:15 AM »
And there is no reason that the console wouldn't work with Vista.

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Software Simian
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2008, 01:11:54 PM »
Console works whenever BC can run.

Put this file in scripts/Tactical/ now you can open the console if you press the right key (`, that's an unshifted ~ on US and UK standard QWERTY keyboards, and * (multiply, possibly keypad multiply) on others).

TBH, I don't see a reason why not to run in TestMode.
I still can't read peoples minds, nor can I read peoples computers, even worse, I can't combine the two to read what is going wrong with your BC install...

"It was filed under 'B' for blackmail." - Morse, Inspector Morse - The dead of Jericho.

admiral homer

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2008, 02:18:21 PM »
Argh i still cant do it lol. Might as well reinstall the game. Thank you for all the help but i think it might be my pc. I dont think dells have the same keyboard layout or function as other makes of computers.

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Software Simian
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2008, 05:33:55 PM »
What is your keyboard layout?

Have you tried deleting your current keyboard bindings (the files scripts/KeyboardBindings.py and scripts/KeyboardBindings.pyc)?

Have you checked for txt or log files in the scripts/Custom directory (and subdirectories)?
If there are, could you zip those up and upload them here?