Author Topic: BC dialogue problem  (Read 1302 times)

CaptRavenous

BC dialogue problem
« on: May 11, 2008, 02:57:21 PM »
I found myself a no-cd copy of BC (tried for 2 years to get an original CD of the game, but to no avail)

Anyway, I was able to download a full version of the game form two different sources.

The game runs fine, but most of the voice dialogue isn't playing. The subtitles work fine, but no voices when they speak (though I do get voice confirmations when giving orders).

Has anyone else had this problem?

I am running it on Windows XP SP3, 256 mb Geforce 5500FX, onboard sound (which runs everything else I own just fine, never ran into sound problems before), and 768 mb RAM

I tried both downloads of BC I have, same problem for both.

The game is unmodded.

CaptRavenous

Re: BC dialogue problem
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2008, 03:28:39 PM »
Alright, I've done some testing of the sound files in my BC install directly.
Some of the sounds play fine on my Windows Media Player, but most play with no sound at all. As far as I can tell, the game is playing the sound files properly, but I'm getting no sound from most dialogue and SFX as well.

Offline Kirk

• Cookies: 139
    • My Released Mods
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2008, 03:29:20 PM »
Welcome to the forums, however I believe this is the last time we'll be talking. It may be that your illegal copy of BC did not include the necessary sound files.

Offline JimmyB76

• Cookies: 421
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2008, 03:48:02 PM »
just buy the game...   :roll:

illegal copies will naturally tend to have many many problems anyway, and this site does not offer support to people who are playing the game illegally...

there are legal and valid copies of BC out there in many places such as ebay or amazon and other places, so if you couldnt find it before, you werent looking hard enough...

CaptRavenous

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2008, 03:52:16 PM »
As I stated above, I did a direct test of the sounds, they are there, but when played directly with Windows Media Player, they are silent. Some work, some don't.

And as I stated again, I cannot find a legal copy of the game, they do not exist for people outside the U.S. anymore. I spent 2 years trying to find a legal copy before finally having a breakdown and getting the "illegal" copy.

A friend of mine promised to send me his legal copy, but he never did.

Sorry to be a bother. I'll go away now. Thanx for nothing.

Offline JimmyB76

• Cookies: 421
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2008, 03:56:27 PM »
there are many copies out there to purchase, youre just not looking hard enough and really trying...  where there is a will, there is a way with a little bit of effort...  and other people that dont live in the US are able to purchase the game, so it is possible...
just keep trying...

Offline Billz

• Cookies: 45
  • Doctor who? ;)
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2008, 04:04:15 PM »
As I stated above, I did a direct test of the sounds, they are there, but when played directly with Windows Media Player, they are silent. Some work, some don't.

And as I stated again, I cannot find a legal copy of the game, they do not exist for people outside the U.S. anymore. I spent 2 years trying to find a legal copy before finally having a breakdown and getting the "illegal" copy.

A friend of mine promised to send me his legal copy, but he never did.

Sorry to be a bother. I'll go away now. Thanx for nothing.

Okay. That right there is complete and utter bulls**t. Go to ebay and you can get a whole page full of people selling legit discs.
Can't wait for 2014 to start.

CaptRavenous

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2008, 04:09:41 PM »
Just went to e-bay and Amazon, both say U.S. residents only.

I'm going to go ask for help on the Euro forums, if I can find any for BC, it was people in Europe that helped me find this illegal copy to begin with.

Dear Mr. Moderator, please delete this post and my account, I won't be back.

Offline Starforce2

• Master Hardpointer
  • Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 882
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2008, 04:47:24 PM »
any discussion of illegal BC or any other software is prohibited on this forum. Also, we do not provide tech support to anyone who we know to have illegal BC's. Thread locked.
I just realised something. I've released over 300 fully modded ships for bridge commander. Bow to your master :D
Read my mod blog!
http://bcs-tng.com/forums/index.php?action=viewblog;u=1129

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 833
  • Software Simian
    • the Programming Pantheon
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2008, 05:32:25 PM »
Further more, illegal copies usually ripp out (in the literal sense of the word) stuff to make it still run, but smaller to distribute. In this case, I suspect no voices and no movies.
Anything that is one of a kind is removed.
I still can't read peoples minds, nor can I read peoples computers, even worse, I can't combine the two to read what is going wrong with your BC install...

"It was filed under 'B' for blackmail." - Morse, Inspector Morse - The dead of Jericho.

Offline Sean

• Retired Administrator
  • Retired Administrator
  • Cookies: 1165
  • Site Co-Founder
    • Bridge Commander Central
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2008, 05:45:27 PM »
USER BANNED FOR DISCUSSION OF WAREZ / ILLEGAL SOFTWARE USE