Author Topic: Old school TREK gaming.  (Read 4198 times)

Offline RifleMan80

• BC Veteran since February, 2002
  • Cookies: 136
  • BC Machinima Bridge Commander Elder (Feb 02)
    • Rifle's Bridge Commander Machinima
Old school TREK gaming.
« on: May 29, 2008, 06:38:14 AM »
 Has anyone here played Star Trek Birth of the Federation? I still play it occasionaly. For those who havnt, its like Civilization. U colinize, build economy, expand, build military, diplomatic relations/ negotiations, war, conquer, control. I'v tried to update my 1.0 version, but it wont let me. No one plays it online anymore. But its a good game to test ur strategy and thinking. For those with patience, I recommend this!

Races
United Federation of Planets
Klingon Empire
Cardassian Union
Romulan Star Empire
Ferengi Alliance

There are lits of minor races too such as the Vulcans, Betazoids, Takarians, Andorians, Tellarites, Bolians. Each minor race gives you a bonus in economics, diplomacy, technology. There lots of possibilities in this game. The only problem with Birth of the Federation is, you gotta find it online! I have not seen one on the shelf at a store scince 2001!

A True Riker's Beard!

Offline RifleMan80

Re: Old school TREK gaming.
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2008, 10:23:37 AM »
Anyone ever played it or heard of it?

A True Riker's Beard!

Offline CJLarkin

• Cookies: 27
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2008, 10:27:43 AM »
I have. Was a great game! The new Star Trek Conquest game is going to be similar, I think (don't quote me on that, may be false)

Anyway, yeah, this was a great game, reminded me of some of ye olde strategy games, ones which were about an entire nation's (in this case race's or multiple race's) economy, and pretty much most things concerning the civilisation itself.

I loved this game, and I'm tempted to go and play it now!
Build a game and people will be happy for a few years. Build a community... Well, look at BC. :D
Here's to another 20 years!

Offline RifleMan80

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2008, 10:30:37 AM »
 I have Star Trek Conquest for PS2! Its sort of like BotF. But its soo limited, yet fun! I recomend both games. BotF is a true classic Trek game next to StarFleet Academy, Klingon Academy, SFC 1, and Dominion Wars! All the old games are soooooo much more fun!

A True Riker's Beard!

Offline DJ Curtis

• Ship Builder
  • Cookies: 1410
  • I make ships.
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2008, 10:35:10 AM »
BotF was a lot of fun in its day, except it had a memory leak bug that was never really fixed that made the game unplayable after a while because it got too slow.

Offline RifleMan80

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2008, 10:43:39 AM »
I never let that bug keep me from caonquering the galaxy! Muahahahah, I ruled with an Iron fist as Cardassian, I Conquered the galaxy in under 190 turns with the Klingons, I Made one hell of a living with the Ferengi, I stole so much technology with the Romulans. And I peacefuly spread influence through the galaxy with the UFP, then I did a hostil take over!

I am tallin ya, they need to make another Birth of the Federation. I guaranteed  it would make alot of money with the early gamers from the years between 1997-2002. The glory days of Trek gaming! BOTF IS THE BEST! Next to BC of Course. But BotF is the best strategy game i'v ever played to this day.

A True Riker's Beard!

Offline JimmyB76

• Cookies: 421
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2008, 11:15:43 AM »
Anyone ever played it or heard of it?
just an FYI - you dont really need to post asking for feedback if no one has yet responded ;)
it was only 4 hours since your previous post was made, sometimes a response takes time, and sometimes there may not be a response...

Offline RifleMan80

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2008, 11:36:23 AM »
 Was just makin sure :D . This game needs to be noticed once again because its prolly the most complex Trek game ever made!! Every real trekkie gamer has played it once or twise. I swear man its sooo much fun. U can put massice fleets together and put them in formation.

Single Super Races
Borg
Husok
Calamarane
Q
V'Ger
         Wish it could still be played but it only supports IP/ Dial up :(

A True Riker's Beard!

Offline Glenn

• Starfleet Command
  • Cookies: 190
  • Captain - USS Explorer
    • Captain Elgy's Star Trek Files
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2008, 01:43:51 PM »
Birth of the Federation was a great game, very involving to!!.

For those who are interested, a group of people are busy re-modding the original Birth of the Federation game. This is an open project named Star Trek: Supremacy and can be found here...  :D

http://www.startreksupremacy.com/

Along with ST Excalibur, this looks very promising indeed!!
  8)

Offline RifleMan80

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2008, 01:45:58 PM »
 Wow! So people really do still play Old school! I like this! It does look promising! This is exactly what the game needs. Kudos to all who are involved in it!

A True Riker's Beard!

Offline Bones

• Cookies: 639
  • SPAAAAAAAAACE !!!
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2008, 04:16:12 PM »
 :shock: How can that be I've never played BOTF along with KA :shock: got to search net for both of them, will they run on XP ???

From old Trek games I have DS9 the Fallen, Dominion Wars, SFC 1,2,3, VOY EF and they all are great especially SFC 1 - my first ST space combat sim, I loved that game when it came out and I love it now SFC 2 was even better I was amazed when klingon D7 took down 4 drones with those point defence pulses, very nice :D Dominion Wars were hard but how fun to play :D The Fallen is the best Trek adventure game for me.
I also remember ST Hidden Evil tho I played only demo but it was great unfortunatelly I couldn't find it anywhere :(

Offline Senator

• Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 226
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2008, 07:13:26 PM »
I have. It is probably the ST game I have spend more time on. (second is KA).

And its not because it is ST, but because it generally is a very good turn based strategy game , with just the right amount of fun/management. (Master of Orion III for example bored me out of my mind)

Offline RifleMan80

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2008, 07:20:34 PM »
 Star Trek and strategy games, GOOD MIX! That game tought me how to think like a general! All of that power and mite under my command! all the ships and stations under my fingertips! It was a good feeling, not because its was trek, again because it was strategy!

A True Riker's Beard!

Offline Senator

• Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 226
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2008, 03:10:51 PM »
Well... Star Trek New Worlds mixed rather badly.

But [brain voice from "pinky & the brain"]Yeeeees[/brain voice], strategies ARE the ultimate form of gaming.

The 300. Spartans. Gloriously fought, and Died.

The much smaller Athenian army with the use of strategy DEFEATED the Persians.

Offline RifleMan80

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2008, 10:15:07 AM »
         New Worlds i just recently installed. "Star Trek meets Star Craft" ? LOL it doesnt quite make Star Craft but i was still fun.
 What about Starfleet Academy? Thats one of the best Classic Trek games! In my opinion lol.

A True Riker's Beard!

Offline Mustang

• Resident Movie Critic
  • Cookies: 46
  • Muse Fan
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2008, 11:50:42 AM »
There was this one Star Trek game that I could never finish... it was for the SNES, I think it was called "The Pegasus Project"...

Offline undedavenger

• It's simple. I reek of awesomeness, and you don't.
  • Cookies: 14
    • Official Star Trek Century Myspace!
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2008, 09:05:30 PM »
I for one, am a big fan of 25th anniversary and Judgement Rites. Course, I've been a big point and click gamer since Maniac Mansion first came out in '86. I think a new 3D game that follows the formula of those games would be great. Can't say i was too big a fan of BOTF, but it was a fun game. Better than Starfleet Academy, easily. I actually enjoyed SA better on the SNES. The graphics weren't as good, but it was less buggy.
"Books are not canon, only what you see on screen. Yes, even the horrible Voyager episode where they go past warp 10 and have crazy lizard babies."

Offline RifleMan80

« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2008, 08:10:35 AM »
 Star Trek Klingon Academy was an Instant Classic like SF Academy. There was a game i got pissed off at. Though it was fun, some of the missions are....... Wierd.

I got the original Star Trek The Next Generation for the Sega Genesis. But i dont have a Genesis to play it on :( . I got the GENS Rom and emulator just for that game. Fuuun. but not the same as a Sega Gen.

A True Riker's Beard!

Offline captain_obvious

• The captain of obvious-ness
  • Cookies: 54
    • ARmy Rumour SErvice- British Army Unofficial community
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2008, 03:35:35 PM »
Star Trek Klingon Academy was an Instant Classic like SF Academy. There was a game i got pissed off at. Though it was fun, some of the missions are....... Wierd.

I got the original Star Trek The Next Generation for the Sega Genesis. But i dont have a Genesis to play it on :( . I got the GENS Rom and emulator just for that game. Fuuun. but not the same as a Sega Gen.

aye, I remember SFA...I'd love to see some of the unique ships from that remade for BC!
One mission I remember was towards the end with you as an exelsior having to figure out wtf is going on with a load of diplomats (peace loving hippie type klingons, a vulcan ambassador acting like some kind of slut etc.).  You'd approach even one of them to scan and POOMF!! someone says "something's beaming onto the ship!!" and boom you go!
The nebula missions were a disgrace though, really nigh impossible to do!!
I miss :bigdance:

Offline Bones

• Cookies: 639
  • SPAAAAAAAAACE !!!
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2008, 04:45:12 PM »

Awwww man what a pity, I have Sega Genesis that still works fine but I tried to get this game with no luck :( fortunately I got EF I + expansion & EF II + bonus ST Hidden Evil and SFC 2 for about 10 $ ( 21.99 PLN in local currency  :o )
got to say that Hidden Evil and EF I are very good, I like HE graphics :D but EF II is the best ST shooter ever tho I like EF I more just for the main plot..