Author Topic: What about the NCO's?  (Read 2949 times)

bebostep

What about the NCO's?
« on: June 06, 2008, 02:55:20 PM »
So of course we've seen the bridge crew of the ships in all ther series of Star Trek and all the officers involved with the ship.  But in reality there are not that many officers on any kind of ship then there are the NCO's.  There are episods were we see the NCO's and it has been getting better at it but I believe read something that 80% of the fleet is NCO's... it sure doesn't seem like it. 

Of course I'm going to get yelled at by some people, but I'm curious, could it be possible to creat a series just on the NCO's and let the officers me a minor role instead?

Offline Kirk

• Cookies: 139
    • My Released Mods
Re: What about the NCO's?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2008, 03:00:11 PM »
An interesting thought. We definitely saw more NCO action in Voyager, but little in TNG.

Offline RCgothic

• Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 51
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2008, 03:03:07 PM »
You're right. Almost every random who's stopped by one of the main charactors is 'Ensign' or 'Lieutenant'. It seems like all of starfleet is officers.

The only NCO I can think of off the top of my head is Cheif O'Brien. I'm amazed that the head of engineering on DS9 was a Chief when everywhere else they're at least a Lt.Commander. It wasn't particularly obvious he was an NCO either, most people asume 'Chief' means 'Chief of Engineering' instead of his actual rank.

Offline Kirk

• My Released Mods
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2008, 03:05:51 PM »
What was up with O'Brien's rank in TNG though? Around season 5, he seemed to get promoted to lieutenant and yet was still called chief and then was demoted back to chief when he transferred to DS9.

bebostep

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2008, 03:06:09 PM »
An interesting thought. We definitely saw more NCO action in Voyager, but little in TNG.

Exaxtly! Maybe it has to do that Voyager had a very small crew compaired to the Enterprise but there were definatly more NCO's mentioned.

Offline Kirk

• My Released Mods
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2008, 03:07:39 PM »
I like how Janeway busted the Phoenix crew all the way down to NCOs, when they were all commissioned officers to begin with. Back to the academy when they get home.

Edit: By Phoenix I totally mean Equinox. :lol:

Offline Barihawk

• Ninth Fleet STO Commanding Officer
  • Cookies: 225
  • BC: The Aftermath Member
    • My Released Work
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2008, 05:14:00 PM »
The vast majority of Starfleet are NCO's. Look at the TMP movies. Anyone not wearing Velor? Non-Com.

bebostep

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2008, 05:25:41 PM »
The vast majority of Starfleet are NCO's. Look at the TMP movies. Anyone not wearing Velor? Non-Com.

TMP got the concept but then faded away or something because in TNG you barely saw any.  There were some in engineering and O'Brian but not much else.

Weasel

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2008, 05:32:56 PM »
Weren't all the redshirts from TOS, as well as Yoeman Rand, also noncoms?

bebostep

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2008, 05:48:06 PM »
Weren't all the redshirts from TOS, as well as Yoeman Rand, also noncoms?
I think some of them were but some of them were ensigns also, cause they had no bar on their sleeves

Offline Barihawk

• Ninth Fleet STO Commanding Officer
  • Cookies: 225
  • BC: The Aftermath Member
    • My Released Work
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2008, 11:05:10 PM »

TMP got the concept but then faded away or something because in TNG you barely saw any.  There were some in engineering and O'Brian but not much else.

There were tons in Voyager and Enterprise.

bebostep

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2008, 11:23:52 PM »

There were tons in Voyager and Enterprise.

I believe they're finaly getting the point that you just can't stick a bunch of officers in every scean.  But of course you notice it more with Voyager and specialy Enterpise because they are smaller sized ships so that 80% or so will stick out more.

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 833
  • Software Simian
    • the Programming Pantheon
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2008, 08:02:38 AM »
And Voyager had the Maquis crew integrated, so you can't really just "promote" them to officer unless needed (Chakotay, B'leanna (sp)).
I still can't read peoples minds, nor can I read peoples computers, even worse, I can't combine the two to read what is going wrong with your BC install...

"It was filed under 'B' for blackmail." - Morse, Inspector Morse - The dead of Jericho.

Offline Senator

• Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 226
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2008, 11:07:02 AM »
Automation!

And after that hologram guy, and even portable holographic generators, this could even be human looking automation. (or Xenomorph looking depenting on your tastes)

Offline Nighthawk

• |______[o]_|
  • Cookies: 18
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2008, 04:36:25 PM »
to do a quick comparison, nowadays ships's crew is 90% crew and 20% officers. by officer I mean something around the ST equivalent of lieutenant.
and a great percentage of that crew do generally random service tasks, like carpenter (or general fix-up boy :P), boatswain auxiliar, medic assistant or cooker.
comissioned officers do more specialized tasks like radio operator, engineer, storekeeper, or command.
thinking that you won't need a cooker, a storekeeper or a clean-wiper in the 23rd century, what would be the point of having 50 crewmen to attend, say, an engineering section that with automation and stuff can be run by 20 (fulfilling the needed crew per shift)?
shuttle pilots? yeah, maybe, perhaps 10 or 15 working 4 or 5 per shift, not too many in the end.
scientists? that can be a major need, but each department can run with, say, a chief, two or three adjunts (Crusher/Ogawa? LaForge/Porter?), two assistants and maybe 10 crewmen? per, say, 10 departments counting astrophysics, biology, medicine, and some others? a gross of 150 officers to say the most?
operations? maybe the biggest one, including transporters, operations, engines, security, cargo and stuff. using the same system than science, that would count around 350 people.
what would give an estimated crew count of 500/600 people.
if the Ent-d crew count was around 1020 crewmen and passengers, that would fit.
there should have been more on-screen action of civilians in TNG and less officers, since most of the cre in the ten forward were starfleet crew

also, most of the action passes when the main crew is on shift, what would be around 0600 to 1400 and 1400 to 2200
so it's possible that at least 6 hours a day the bridge and most of the ship is crewed by Lt.Cmd's or Lt's.

...or androids, for that matter

Pegasus

« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2008, 06:27:46 PM »
If memory serves.... was Chakotay and the rest of the Maquis not officially NCOs. They did not have the propper rank insignia, nor were they officially officers.

Offline blaXXer

• Your Leader
  • Cookies: 96
  • The proud result of slave labor
    • blaXXer.design
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2008, 12:18:07 PM »
If memory serves.... was Chakotay and the rest of the Maquis not officially NCOs. They did not have the propper rank insignia, nor were they officially officers.

your memory serves you right. The just had a field commission.

YOU suck, get a life, moran.

COME TO MY PLACE clicketh me!

Larousse1995

« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2008, 03:10:47 PM »
I agree! you NEVER here "Petty Officer     your with me.  However in TNG we did see some crewmen as well as in ENT

Offline blaXXer

• Your Leader
  • Cookies: 96
  • The proud result of slave labor
    • blaXXer.design
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2008, 06:39:19 PM »
crewman is a generic term for NCOs.

YOU suck, get a life, moran.

COME TO MY PLACE clicketh me!

Offline undedavenger

• It's simple. I reek of awesomeness, and you don't.
  • Cookies: 14
    • Official Star Trek Century Myspace!
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2008, 03:28:24 AM »
I think it was mainly due to budget. All incarnations of Star Trek have had notoriously tight budgets. I mean, on TOS the corridors were deserted except for the main cast. I personally don't to see TOO much regarding NCOs, as they are not the ones making the decisions. However, a few more episodes focusing on an enlisted crewman would have been nice.

BTW, TOS DID have a lot of NCOs in many episodes. Just look for the guys in the Dayglo Orange jumpsuits.
"Books are not canon, only what you see on screen. Yes, even the horrible Voyager episode where they go past warp 10 and have crazy lizard babies."