Author Topic: GIMP Texturing Questions  (Read 772 times)

Offline laguardia528

• Cookies: 4
  • Inspiration comes to those who haven't got a clue
GIMP Texturing Questions
« on: July 17, 2008, 05:53:32 PM »
I'm using GIMP as my texturing program and have a question about the bucket fill tool:

can you place a custom texture (like an azteching pattern) in the pattern fill selection?

Offline Armondikov

• Cookies: 21
Re: GIMP Texturing Questions
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2008, 06:57:03 AM »
I haven't used GIMP for years but I can imagine it's possible. It's probably something along the lines of saving the pattern (probably as a specific file type) in a directory for them rather than anything simpler.

I had a quick look around, I think this covers some of it: http://docs.gimp.org/en/gimp-concepts-patterns.html
"This is my Earth, and it's fine. It's where I spend the vast majority of my time. It's not perfect, but it's mine."

Offline Dalek

• Cookies: 206
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2008, 10:09:05 AM »
Now, since this is a GIMP question asking session, can I ask something?

Can you add glows to ship textures? And if you can, how? And if you can't, what program to use?
Some of you may know of my "USS Arcadia" Century Class Ship and glows is one of the remaining problems that needs sorting. So if glows are possible with GIMP, some really detailed instructions would help.
"To live on as we have is to leave behind joy, and love, and companionship, because we know it to be transitory, of the moment. We know it will turn to ash. Only those whose lives are brief can imagine that love is eternal. You should embrace that remarkable illusion. It may be the greatest gift your race has ever received."

- Lorien

Offline Kirk

• Cookies: 139
    • My Released Mods
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2008, 10:54:25 AM »
Ship glows are added via the alpha channel. GIMP does allow you to look at and edit the alpha, however IIRC, GIMP translates the alphas into transparency, not glows.