Author Topic: Problem with Galaxy Charts and Starbases  (Read 1204 times)

Offline EternalKnights

• Cookies: 0
Problem with Galaxy Charts and Starbases
« on: July 18, 2008, 01:52:01 PM »
Yep, I'm back again.

Basically my problem is this: I'm using Galaxy Charts and whenever I warp to a system with a starbase, i.e. Starbase 12 or Sol3, the starbase fails to load. Whats worse is that once I exit QB and re-enter, Galaxy Charts fails to activate despite the mutator being active. I have to restart the game in order to get it back.

As I understand it, the starbase issue might have something to do with the GFT NanoFX fix, but I don't have that installed. I do have the ATP1 for NanoFX fix. Might that be it?

Offline USS Frontier

• Cookies: 562
Re: Problem with Galaxy Charts and Starbases
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2008, 05:47:44 PM »
Starbase12 and DryDock not loading might be a problem with GC, since those systems require a few "extra" steps to load the ships, which GC doesn't normally do. I attached a file which might fix it, copy it to "<BC Folder>\scripts\Custom\Autoload".
Note that this problem was already reported here at BCC, and I posted this same file...

Now if any other system besides those 2 don't load their ships properly than it is a problem in the system, not with GC.
I don't know the mods "GFT NanoFX fix" and "ATP1 for NanoFX fix" so I don't know if they cause anything bad. I might have them tho if they are on KM1...
"Revenge is a dish best served cold"
                    -Old Klingon Proverb
GravityFX Download
Galaxy Charts Download

Offline EternalKnights

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2008, 07:14:41 PM »
Thanks for the file. It sorted out S12. (although, once I undocked, I did have to get a fair distance from the station before I could warp)
The other systems sill have the problem though.

As for the GFT NanoFX fix and the ATP1 for NanoFX, both are by the same author on BCFiles.

Offline JimmyB76

• Cookies: 421
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2008, 07:41:44 PM »
that GFT guy rings a bell...  i remember this from when i was on BCFiles staff a few years back...  (Mleo prolly remembers him from trying to fix his messes with peoples installs lol)
he took others' scripts and altered them (without really asking permission) and then released him as his own...  this was some years ago, and perhaps he didnt understand the protocol of such, as has been going on long before (and since)...
in either event, im just suggesting that you prolly wouldnt want them in your install, as they are unfinished, and not even honestly given the blessing by the original authors lol   his "scripts" are very much unstable...  your install is much better off without them, i have to say....

Offline EternalKnights

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2008, 11:04:48 PM »
I'm still having the problem of GC switching itself off when I exit QB. Even if I toggle the mutator off and on again it still refuses to switch back on. I have to exit the game entirely.

Offline USS Frontier

• Cookies: 562
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2008, 03:40:35 AM »
That's because being outside Starbase12's "inside viewpoints" is "requirement" to let a ship warp lol =P  So exit the ship and just fly to some direction to get out of the line of sight of the interior of Starbase 12.

I'm still having the problem of GC switching itself off when I exit QB. Even if I toggle the mutator off and on again it still refuses to switch back on. I have to exit the game entirely.
I'm not sure if that's a problem with GC, or something else. Because I know that some other mods also suffer from this problem of being "shut down" when you exit QB (Main Menu -> Abort Mission) and only switching back on when the game restarts.
But is it such a problem? I mean you can exit and restart the game in like, 30 seconds...
"Revenge is a dish best served cold"
                    -Old Klingon Proverb
GravityFX Download
Galaxy Charts Download

Offline EternalKnights

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2008, 12:40:59 PM »
That's because being outside Starbase12's "inside viewpoints" is "requirement" to let a ship warp lol =P  So exit the ship and just fly to some direction to get out of the line of sight of the interior of Starbase 12.

That's good to know. Thanks for the tip.

I'm not sure if that's a problem with GC, or something else. Because I know that some other mods also suffer from this problem of being "shut down" when you exit QB (Main Menu -> Abort Mission) and only switching back on when the game restarts.
But is it such a problem? I mean you can exit and restart the game in like, 30 seconds...

I'll be honest, it is irritating. Normally I would mind, but I can't use warp without GC. I've read that others have the same problem with the helm warp button taking you to a broken warp cutscene.

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 833
  • Software Simian
    • the Programming Pantheon
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2008, 08:02:22 AM »
If it's only the GC mutator turning off, then it doesn't make sense.

The GFT (or was it GTF?) "fix" for NanoFXv2Beta doesn't fix anything at all, in fact, it introduces errors because it just dumps a load of systems, including the special Starbase12 and Drydock systems, and several custom starsystems that people might not have installed.

The only fix there is, if you take the definition of the word "fix" rather broadly, would be that NanoFXv2Beta (it is a beta afterall) didn't include _all_ the systems. And it (that is, the GFT fix) fails misserably at that.
It's a pity I lost both mine, and JWattsjr versions of the correct way to do this.

About the sudden exit (one ought to classify that as Crash To Desktop) is one that only happens with lots of mods installed. Actually it could be a single mod, or multiple, or the combination of multiple mods. It's annoying, but short of testing each mod, one at a time, is far too time consuming for anyone (or a team) to do, even at 16 hours a day.

There are people working on it, but not like that. For example, the BC Supermod (try not to install mods on that) doesn't have this problem.
I still can't read peoples minds, nor can I read peoples computers, even worse, I can't combine the two to read what is going wrong with your BC install...

"It was filed under 'B' for blackmail." - Morse, Inspector Morse - The dead of Jericho.