Author Topic: Changing Red Alert Effects  (Read 4081 times)

Offline Kirk

• Cookies: 139
    • My Released Mods
Changing Red Alert Effects
« on: August 05, 2008, 06:17:16 PM »
I have a question. I want to change the red/yellow alert effects on the NX bridge. Namely making the lights on the top flash red and removing the pulsating red glow. How do I go about doing this? Also, I don't care how hard it is, I am willing to try and learn.

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 833
  • Software Simian
    • the Programming Pantheon
Re: Changing Red Alert Effects
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2008, 06:19:54 PM »
I think that's part of the built-in effect of BC, and rather unchangable.

For example, we haven't even managed to make new bridges use the built-in LCARs flickering (found on the stock Galaxy and Sovereign bridges), we needed an entire framework to do this (but more).

So your "last hope" would be to do this in terms of map swapping in BPCore.
I still can't read peoples minds, nor can I read peoples computers, even worse, I can't combine the two to read what is going wrong with your BC install...

"It was filed under 'B' for blackmail." - Morse, Inspector Morse - The dead of Jericho.

Offline Kirk

• My Released Mods
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2008, 06:44:08 PM »
I think that's part of the built-in effect of BC, and rather unchangable.
All I want to do is remove the effect from that location, it doesn't seem to be happening anywhere else.
So your "last hope" would be to do this in terms of map swapping in BPCore.
I figured that would play a role in this, swapping the existing lights from normal to flashing.

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Software Simian
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2008, 06:46:15 PM »
I actually think it's a Gamma thing, so not exactly a map thing.

But I think you will need a real bridge modder for this.
I still can't read peoples minds, nor can I read peoples computers, even worse, I can't combine the two to read what is going wrong with your BC install...

"It was filed under 'B' for blackmail." - Morse, Inspector Morse - The dead of Jericho.

Offline Rob Archer

• Cookies: 545
  • New Frontier MKVI
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2008, 11:56:58 PM »
The NX Bridge really needs a make over to bring it up to the levels of quality like that of the Gen' Galaxy and the New Sovereign, Not to mention the Intrepid bridge, plus BP could be used to add a wall to the Briefing area for other ships like the J-Class/Neptune Class/ and Jupiter Class.

I'd do it but don't have the skills and 3rd Era are all busy or working on Excalibur so its likely that the bridge will be largely left alone.....

Offline Kirk

• My Released Mods
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2008, 12:03:12 AM »
I'd do it but don't have the skills and 3rd Era are all busy or working on Excalibur so its likely that the bridge will be largely left alone.....
That's why I'm asking how to do it. I know everyone is busy, so if I am given a little instruction and direction I will be able to improve and hopefully start turning out my own bridges.

Offline Sean

• Retired Administrator
  • Retired Administrator
  • Cookies: 1165
  • Site Co-Founder
    • Bridge Commander Central
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2008, 02:46:21 AM »
its set up in max on the original mesh. your would need to alter it in max and then renif the bridge

Offline JimmyB76

• Cookies: 421
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2008, 07:30:01 AM »
you know, i always really didnt like that about the NX Bridge lol  it does "light up" on one side of the ceiling flashing at red alert, but not the other...

Offline Kirk

• My Released Mods
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2008, 10:14:05 AM »
its set up in max on the original mesh. your would need to alter it in max and then renif the bridge
This I can do, what must I do?

Offline Mark

• Retired Administrator
  • Cookies: 1797
  • Site Co-Founder
    • ST Excalibur
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2008, 02:46:14 AM »
you need max three, the original mesh, and some knowledge of the problem.

tell you what, you have three wishes - list three exact problems on the bridge and I will see what I can do (so something like "this part of the wall glows when it shouldnt" rather than "the whole bridge needs rebuilding")

Offline Kirk

• My Released Mods
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2008, 10:26:13 AM »
Mark, you are awesome! I'm going to confer with Jimmy about the changes as we both have problems with the bridge. Again, thank you so very much. :D

Offline JimmyB76

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2008, 12:34:34 PM »
how it is as released is not so much a problem; the ideas and work youre doing is just an enhancement :)

Offline Mark

• Retired Administrator
  • Site Co-Founder
    • ST Excalibur
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2008, 04:38:58 AM »
better make it snappy please guys

Offline JimmyB76

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2008, 07:33:18 AM »
personally, i think it would be even better if the entire area around the ceiling dome glowed/pulsed red at red alert...   currently, only half the ceiling glows...
altho, i think kirk was thinking about removing the red alert glow altogether and just having the lights turn red (as on the FCExcelsiorBridge)?
tho id be happy with both effects lol :P

Offline Mark

• Retired Administrator
  • Site Co-Founder
    • ST Excalibur
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2008, 08:54:07 AM »
so just the ceiling? ok

Offline Kirk

• My Released Mods
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2008, 10:16:01 AM »
Ok, what Jimmy said earlier so.

Wishes:
1) Lights around the ceiling (in picture above) flash red at red alert
2) Red alert glow on ceiling is removed (in the show, it doesn't glow, only the lights flash)
3) If it's not too much trouble, it would be really nice if all of the display screens were animated.

Offline JimmyB76

« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2008, 10:37:19 AM »
2) Red alert glow on ceiling is removed (in the show, it doesn't glow, only the lights flash)
i wouldnt mind that all too much, personally :P
but id be happy either way... :)

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Software Simian
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2008, 05:26:26 PM »
3) If it's not too much trouble, it would be really nice if all of the display screens were animated.
Or maybe no animation at all, and do it through BPCore for more customizability.

Offline Mark

• Retired Administrator
  • Site Co-Founder
    • ST Excalibur
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2008, 06:03:09 PM »
sorry dude, it never worked that well, anything more than a minor swap on an irregular time scale results in at least some lag.. for the added flexibility its just not worth the amount of complaints.

Offline Mark

• Retired Administrator
  • Site Co-Founder
    • ST Excalibur
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2008, 10:55:19 AM »
right, i fixed the red alert issues you mentions - adding seperate LCARs for every single display would have just taken too long im afraid. I did make one other minor change, but im gonna wait and see if anyone actually notices it :P

I did have some issues with getting the bridge exported again since i didnt have the final max files - because of this some of the animations on the set might not work, but I have replaced the main ones so it shouldnt be too big an issue.

To install just ensure you have the nx bridge v2 installed and copy this into your BC base directory.