Author Topic: "Trying to clean memory" in console report? What does this mean?  (Read 888 times)

Utenite

This is a bit of a general question really, I've noticed that when others provide console reports many seem to have the line 'Trying to clean memory'.

I'm curious to know if this provides any extra stability to the game, and also whether this line is a product from a seperate mod or part of the KM code?

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 833
  • Software Simian
    • the Programming Pantheon
Re: "Trying to clean memory" in console report? What does this mean?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2008, 01:12:23 PM »
We (mostly Defiant) noticed that when BC is run for long stretches at time it becomes unstable, and it continues to consume memory.
For a multiplayer server, that's intended to run for a long time, it's not so good news.

Defiant also noticed that when a movie is run (any movie, including an empty, invisible one) memory is freed and BC is more stable.

This was extended by DS9FX, via there hulk (remains of destroyed ship) removal script.

So all in all, it's a combination of both KM and DS9FX code.
I still can't read peoples minds, nor can I read peoples computers, even worse, I can't combine the two to read what is going wrong with your BC install...

"It was filed under 'B' for blackmail." - Morse, Inspector Morse - The dead of Jericho.

Utenite

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2008, 01:25:46 PM »
I don't run a KM install but I do have the download for it, so on the strength of what you said above, I had a rummage around the KM folder and copied the 'FixMem.py' and 'Blank.bik' files to my BC folder. 

The results were, well, nothing short of amazing, virtually all my lag problems have gone, the game no longer freezes when large numbers of RDF turn up, it?s like Bridge Commander has just been fitted with a supercharger.

Have you and Defiant ever considered releasing the above files as a separate 'speed-boost' mod for those few people who don't run a KM install?

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 833
  • Software Simian
    • the Programming Pantheon
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2008, 05:43:11 PM »
It's not my work, but I read other people's code, so I sometimes know what things do. ;)
I still can't read peoples minds, nor can I read peoples computers, even worse, I can't combine the two to read what is going wrong with your BC install...

"It was filed under 'B' for blackmail." - Morse, Inspector Morse - The dead of Jericho.