Author Topic: BC Installation stalls out before it even starts  (Read 2964 times)

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 833
  • Software Simian
    • the Programming Pantheon
Re: BC Installation stalls out before it even starts
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2008, 01:37:20 PM »
That would work.

But the patch ought to be able to install. I can even specify exactly where I want to install it (even if I don't have BC installed, at that place or in general).
I still can't read peoples minds, nor can I read peoples computers, even worse, I can't combine the two to read what is going wrong with your BC install...

"It was filed under 'B' for blackmail." - Morse, Inspector Morse - The dead of Jericho.

KypFisto

« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2008, 01:47:43 PM »
I don't know, I downloaded the patch, and when I tried to set it up I got a "stop" message telling me it couldn't find an installation of BC.

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Software Simian
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2008, 01:58:02 PM »
I suppose it would require some registry editing then. Not sure if that's a real solution (hint, I don't think it is).
I still can't read peoples minds, nor can I read peoples computers, even worse, I can't combine the two to read what is going wrong with your BC install...

"It was filed under 'B' for blackmail." - Morse, Inspector Morse - The dead of Jericho.

KypFisto

« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2008, 07:57:59 PM »
As a small update, I tried installing Armada II the other day with the same issue. I think it's got something to do with these old Activision games, I just don't know what. I don't suppose anybody else has any suggestions.

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Software Simian
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2008, 12:50:02 PM »
Are there any Windows Updates pending that are about the "Windows Installer" program?

KypFisto

« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2008, 10:16:39 PM »
Checking through my updates now. I'll update if anything I update gets fixed.

KypFisto

« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2008, 09:46:34 PM »
Installed all the updates I missed and still no change. Anything else?

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Software Simian
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2008, 04:05:25 PM »
Well, you could try patching the game on your other computer, and then copying the resulting files to your desktop.
It worked for the unpatched game.

Or you could try putting the patch exe in your BC installation directory, and then try to run it.

Kellard

« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2009, 07:41:04 PM »
"Okay, I've had this copy of BC since 2002 when I first bought it and I've never run into this issue before in my recollection.

I've got a fresh install of Windows XP and I tried to install BC. Autorun pops up, I hit install, the demoshield splash screen pops up for a second and then nothing. setup.exe is still running under processes in my task manager but not under applications. If I try to install it again, it starts a new "setup.exe" task and nothing still happens.

The disk is scratched up but I've been able to successfully copy all the files from the CD to my computer and try to install from there but the same thing happens. I cleaned it anyway just in case and the results didn't change.

I've also tried installation by manually exploring the disk and going through "Run" on the start menu but it does the same thing.

So what I'm wondering is if anybody else has encountered this problem or if anyone might know if there is any way of fixing/getting around it?"

I know this thread hasn't been active in quite a while, but I thought I would add that I have had the exact same issue on a reinstall of the game. What is really odd about it, however, is that BC installed perfectly on my VISTA 64bit machine when I first got it.

When I first got this laptop, BC installed without a hitch, and KM worked great with it. However, the other day I had a mod installation issue, and I went to reinstall BC. After I uninstalled BC and went to reinstall it, I ran into the same problems as the initial poster on this forum. I have tried uninstalling the game, using a restore point (with the files being there again, but the game not running), deleting temp folders, manually deleting all registry files within the search parameters of "Activision" and "Bridge Commander", running the install file as admin, running in 32bit compatibility mode, closing all programs so as to be "bare-bones" while installing, manually going to the direct install file and running it, copying over all files from the disc to the hard drive (which resulted in a whole lot of nothing happening unfortunately), etc etc.  Like the original poster, I get to the demoshield splashscreen, and then the program just hangs there (I see the setup32 file in my active programs list, but nothing happens...it just sits there for as long as I care to let it stay running).

I have done just about everything I can think of, and nothing has worked. If anyone who visits these forums has learned any more possible tricks to try since this thread was originally made, I would be happy to hear them. Thanks!

ArceusMK3

« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2009, 12:43:38 PM »
hello
i have the exact same problem as well. i used to install it on my other comp but then i updated and poof no more working there either. on my other comp i get to the part were you see the bridge commander logo and thats it the setup bar gets to 100% an then it turns off in the task manager. i have bridge commander on my computer 3 times but they are all moded and i need a blank version. my os is windows xp service pack 3.
please can you help
thanx

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Software Simian
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2009, 01:03:52 PM »
Again, the best advise that I can currently give you, please play around with the properties, especially the Compatibility tab. If you have the option to install it under the administrator account, then please try to do that.

Or set it to Windows98, that might also work.

ArceusMK3

« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2009, 01:17:21 PM »
hi
i have tryed all the comptibilty options this is a quite a serious problem if you ask me.
i also happens with other old star trek games too.