Author Topic: "Star Trek: Century" trashed, "Star Trek: Crusade" is in!  (Read 3923 times)

Offline undedavenger

• It's simple. I reek of awesomeness, and you don't.
  • Cookies: 14
    • Official Star Trek Century Myspace!
"Star Trek: Century" trashed, "Star Trek: Crusade" is in!
« on: September 27, 2008, 01:34:46 AM »
For everybody interested in my previous thread on my fanfic, "Star Trek: Century", just wanted to update. I changed the title to "Star Trek: Crusade", as first of all, I decided to design my own version of the Enterprise-F instead of using DJ's. Not anything against the Century, it's still the prettiest design out there, IMO, I just always felt guilty about using someone else's idea. I'm big on original thinking and concepts. The lack of those things is what sunk the ST franchise. The concept and stories will be basically the same, just tweaked with some sections rewritten. Also, A new slew of uniform candidates for you guys to critique! Enjoy!

Example A is a more traditional Next-gen look.
B is the same sort of look taken a bit further.
C is the current front-runner for me. Using design cues from all iterations of Starfleet Uniforms, the uniform bluse is a wrap-around jacket with a buttoned flap kind of reminiscent of the ST2 uniforms, while the overall look is still influenced by the Motion Picture uniforms.

Also thinking of changing up the division colors. Suggestions?

So far I'm thinking:
White or Navy blue for command
Gold for Operations
Aqua for Medical
Violet or Yellow for sciences
Dark orange or forest green for security/Marines
"Books are not canon, only what you see on screen. Yes, even the horrible Voyager episode where they go past warp 10 and have crazy lizard babies."

Offline undedavenger

Re: "Star Trek: Century" trashed, "Star Trek: Crusade" is in!
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2008, 09:17:41 PM »
Writing continues apace. I am a constant revisionist. Getting done with my final uniforms, will post in a day or so. While I am doing this, was wondering if you guys have any suggestions for additional uniforms that might be needed. So far I have:

Duty Uniforms:
Admiral
Command
Sciences
Ops
Medical
Marines
Starfleet Intelligence
Vest Variant

Dress Uniforms:
Admiral
Officer
Marine

Medical:
Lab Coat
Surgical Scrubs
Orderly Jumpsuit

Jumpsuits:
Enlisted (Conn)
Enlisted (Sciences)
Enlisted (Ops)
Enlisted (Marine)

Engineering:
Officer's Worksuit
Damage Control Team

If you guys think of anything that may be missing, let me know!
"Books are not canon, only what you see on screen. Yes, even the horrible Voyager episode where they go past warp 10 and have crazy lizard babies."

Offline tiqhud

• BCFiles File Poster
  • Cookies: 1067
  • San Francisco Shipyards (HPer) file manuiplater
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2008, 08:26:54 AM »
like C as well, but then I liked the Movie style best anyway.
TiqHud
you sir, are unable to strike, the port or starboard parts of hull , of a bovine storage facility.
Canon , what people argue exists, that doesn't really  exist.
It is all the little details, that cause headaches.
"Never judge wealth with Money"
'Intelligence has Nothing to do with Politics'
it is Late, Do you know where your Towel is?

faro0485

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2008, 03:28:57 PM »
Will it be anything like Lord of The Rings, but in space?

Offline undedavenger

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2008, 02:05:13 AM »
Not really anything like LOTR. Why do you ask?

Add a pilot's flight suit to the listing above.
Trying to upload my Uniform Chart, but the page keeps stalling out.
I need to find a good free image host.

Offline Aeries

• Cookies: 226
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2008, 11:23:55 AM »

Add a pilot's flight suit to the listing above.
Trying to upload my Uniform Chart, but the page keeps stalling out.
I need to find a good free image host.

Photobucket. I also like C, but B has more of a future starfleet feel to me, primarily because the pattern flows better with what was supposed to be Captain Braxton's timeline.

Offline undedavenger

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2008, 12:49:02 PM »
Here's the Officer's duty Uniform. One uses the traditional TNG-style color scheme, the other is a more muted blue scheme that I personally think is more regal and looks more like a naval uniform. Which one do you guys prefer? On the blue one, the boxes to the left are the other department colors. From top to bottom they are sciences, operations, and medical. The command color is the light grey you see on the uniform. They both have silver trim. Admirals have gold trim, and cadets and crewmen have black trim.

Offline undedavenger

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2008, 01:01:31 PM »
BTW, I know the blue uniform brings back the thought of the Earth Starfleet uniforms, but I am basing the colors off the current US Navy and Marine Corps colors. (And yes, I know some of you might object, but I AM American, lol. Plus I'm sorry, we've got the coolest uniforms ever, except maybe the Coldstream Guards and the SS) Anyway, the US Navy is running out "throwback" uniforms that look like WWII vintage, so why not Starfleet?

Below are the Marine Uniforms. The first are the duty khakis for officers and enlisted. The 2nd are the dress uniform. The one with all blue is an enlisted dress uniform. The one with the shirtfront is the officer one. Trying to find some way to believably attach a mameluke sword to the waist.

Offline Dalek

• Cookies: 206
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2008, 01:04:59 PM »
too much like the BSG uniform, the naval idea. And I really don't like those department colours. Its like Starfleet is controlled by a brick wall.
"To live on as we have is to leave behind joy, and love, and companionship, because we know it to be transitory, of the moment. We know it will turn to ash. Only those whose lives are brief can imagine that love is eternal. You should embrace that remarkable illusion. It may be the greatest gift your race has ever received."

- Lorien

Offline undedavenger

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2008, 02:13:21 PM »
Don't hold back! Say what you really mean! lol

Seriously, Star Trek did the "navy in space" idea long before BSG came along, so that is not something I'm concerned with. As for the dept colors, I'm still thinking about those. BTW, if by "brick" you are referring to the bright red on the marine uniforms, don't sweat it, its been changed to more of a burgundy. Just trying to keep the USMC colors in there. Also, a lot of countries use red in their dress uniforms.

More coming. I have them on a huge .PSD worksheet, but it's too big to post!

faro0485

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2008, 03:13:14 PM »

Crusades + theme, reminds me of LOTR.

Offline Dalek

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2008, 03:36:55 PM »
I'm focusing mainly on the officers uniform. It looks and is coloured to much like BSG to my liking. The department colours are just wrong. I'm not holding back now and I really think they are the most unpleasant things to look at.
"To live on as we have is to leave behind joy, and love, and companionship, because we know it to be transitory, of the moment. We know it will turn to ash. Only those whose lives are brief can imagine that love is eternal. You should embrace that remarkable illusion. It may be the greatest gift your race has ever received."

- Lorien

Offline undedavenger

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2008, 02:18:20 AM »
Specifically, what is unpleasant? The dept colors only? Or the whole uniform? If the uniform, what in paticular bugs you? Any suggestions?

Not being a jerk, I love constructive criticism. Might give me ideas to take it in a slightly different direction. But by all that is holy, DESCRIBE and SUGGEST, lol.

"I hate it" doesn't tell me what is unappealing. Tell me what you like, and thanks for the comments.

Offline undedavenger

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2008, 02:28:32 AM »
BTW, I've never watched BSG, and I just googled the uniforms. Other than the double-breasted flap, they are nothing alike. They are gray and woolen, almost like a pseudo American Civil War uniform. And remember, STII did the flap thing long before the BSG show was created. That is where the inspiration came from. I think I've decided to go on the blue uniforms, however, I lightened the blue a little bit and added different department colors. They now sport the white, grey, tan, and teal that were the dept. colors in the TMP uniforms. Also reworked a few small things on other uniforms, such as making the colors more uniform instead of different colors for different uniform variants. Now all the command crew have navy uniforms with silver trim and white dept colors, etc.

Offline Dalek

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2008, 08:43:56 AM »
The colours of the departments are just...wrong The uniform is fantastic but the colours I find are rather sick making. I would not want to be a science officer wearing purple. Or operations officer and I'm wearing a rather nasty green. I would also suggest changing the combadge. That in the Centuries time would be severly outdated. This one is more suited and is also, canon.

- Lorien

Offline Dalek

« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2008, 09:13:54 AM »
I think I could live with the colours more if there was less colour, more black/v. dark blue. I personally don't like the bright cyan colour. It really is wrong in a sense.

- Lorien

Offline tiqhud

• BCFiles File Poster
  • Cookies: 1067
  • San Francisco Shipyards (HPer) file manuiplater
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2008, 10:59:24 AM »
Department colors have been in use since the Start of Star Trek [sure they have changed around]
hence in TOS red was for support services, but in TNG and later it is command, and in the movies it was for trainee-s.

SO IMO , department colors are a must for Starfleet, I would suggest Staying with the Current depart Colors.

Red \ burgandy --- command
mustard --- operations [support services]
blue  --- Sciences
Green --- Medical

[that-s IMO]
TiqHud
you sir, are unable to strike, the port or starboard parts of hull , of a bovine storage facility.
Canon , what people argue exists, that doesn't really  exist.
It is all the little details, that cause headaches.
"Never judge wealth with Money"
'Intelligence has Nothing to do with Politics'
it is Late, Do you know where your Towel is?

Offline Aeries

• Cookies: 226
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2008, 11:18:05 AM »
I love Dalek's ideas there. They look 100%, for sure! Save only for the colours; I agree with Tiqhud, there, stick with standard Starfleet colours. :]

Edit:

I thought there were only ever three colours: Blue, Red, and Gold? Blue covered both medical and sciences, as medical is a science, anyways... I don't see the point in adding another... just imo, mind you. :/

Offline Dalek

« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2008, 11:39:56 AM »
I suppose making medical a different colour was to make it clearer who was what. If you walked past a Lt. you might think Sciences or Medical. Here are the orginal colours with a bit more tweaking to show the darker colours.

- Lorien

Offline undedavenger

« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2008, 01:12:19 PM »
Like I said, the dept colors went back to the TMP dept colors. I always thought the bright dept colors on TNG-era uniforms were ridiculous. Look at the majority of modern naval uniforms. NO bright colors. It makes them look too much like a kid's pajamas. Notice how much more somber and serious the uniforms got in FC when they reduced the amount of color and darkened the color that was left up some? One of the biggest flaws in Roddenberry's vision is that he thought humans would be happy-go-lucky in the future. Therefore, uniforms were not allowed to look like uniforms, but colorful pajamas. Nick Meyer remedied this with the excellent new uniforms in ST2. Then TNG came along, the first ST thing since the first movie that Roddenberry had control over. Again, bright colored pajamas and a weak-looking design for the Enterprise. Roddenberry passes away and we get the best Trek show ever, DS9. Less color in the uniforms, more grim, and suddenly Star Trek becomes a lot more realistic.

Off my soapbox now. Anyway, that commbadge posted above is not entirely "canon". It was shown in an alternate future timeline that does not exist due to the actions of the characters in that episode. A possible look, but not a for-sure look, just like the Enterprise-J and crew as shown on Enterprise are conjectural. For that matter, all of Enterprise is conjectural, as it was all a holoprogram that Will Riker was running (I know, what a stupid ending!).

Bottom line: It is not certain, and it looks like an extremely clumsy design, anyway. Technology compacts in size as it advancess, it does not expand to twice its size. Look at the old ST:Century thread for my explanation of the Federation Insignia.

Anyway, here are the FINAL designs for the uniforms. I've decided I like the blue. I'm really tired of the generic black pajamas look by now, it's time for a change. (BTW guys, I have layered Photoshop templates of the uniforms, if anybody wants to make their own uniforms. I made them from the diagrams in ST: The Magazine which are featured on Ex Astris Scientia. Let me know and I can send 'em to you)

NOTE: The Damage Control uniform suffers from my limitations in the art department, it is meant to be a protective and reinforced jumpsuit that the engineering team would wear when in contact with flames, leaking plasma, exploding machinery, etc. If anyone can do a better job, let me know and I'll send you a psd of the jumpsuit template. Also, I am going to attempt an evac/spacewalk suit, but if anyone can do that better, the same applies.

NOTE2: The Officer worksuit is something the chief engineer might wear while doing repairs, or a doctor might wear in the lab. It's just a more comfortable suit that allows more free movement and protection from chemicals, etc.

NOTE3: The "Intelligence" uniform is a nice way of saying Section 31, possibly. I am not sure if I plan to work them into the stories yet.