Author Topic: Garbled Button Textures  (Read 1917 times)

Offline Kirk

• Cookies: 139
    • My Released Mods
Garbled Button Textures
« on: September 27, 2008, 08:14:26 PM »
I decided to copy the scripts/Icons folder from the SDK over to my install to see if I could find out where the shield texture is called from. I made sure that I didn't overwrite any of the existing py's in there, but now I have a huge problem. Picture attached.

Offline LJ

• Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 1139
Re: Garbled Button Textures
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2008, 08:27:24 PM »
lol that is a good one ;-)  The UI looks like it is being instantiated correctly etc, so I would hazard a guess that the wrong resolution icons are being loaded.  Try changing your resolution in game, if that fails then try copying some of the icons from a working install into the broken one.

Offline Kirk

• My Released Mods
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2008, 09:14:00 PM »
800*600 resolution appears to be the only resolution that works. BC crashes when I attempt to set it at 640*480 and 1280*1024 has a the same problem. If this a texture issue?

Offline JimmyB76

• Cookies: 421
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2008, 08:25:48 AM »
wow - all the years ive been with BC and all the problems ive seen people have with their installs, i gotta say i have never ever seen this one lol
hope you can sort it...  :)

Offline ChronowerX_GT

• ChronowerX Productions - Founder
  • Cookies: 36
    • ChronowerX Productions
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2008, 04:19:12 PM »
Dunno if it would help, but perhaps reinstalling UMM. I'm sure that's what KM uses for it's menu just with different icons.

http://bridgecommander.filefront.com/file/Unified_Main_Menu;56343

Having a smoking section in a restaurant is kinda like having a peeing section in a pool...

Offline USS Frontier

• Cookies: 562
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2008, 09:00:28 PM »
While it doesn't hurt to try, reinstalling UMM may have no effect at all. It changes the colors of buttons by modifying values in either App or MainMenu (or both, can't remember correctly), and not by changing anything in any of the scripts from the scripts\Icons folder...
But in KM1 some of those scripts (in the Icons folder) are indeed changed. Dunno exactly which ones tho, but I remember the RacesIcons.py for example isn't a stock script.

Try going thru the packs of all mods you have installed, and in the order you installed them, and re-installing the scripts they place in the scripts\Icons folder. I know that might be a little pain-in-the-ass job, but chances are, most of the mods you have do not put anything in that folder.
"Revenge is a dish best served cold"
                    -Old Klingon Proverb
GravityFX Download
Galaxy Charts Download

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 833
  • Software Simian
    • the Programming Pantheon
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2008, 01:31:17 PM »
Copy the scripts/Icons directory from the KM/scr directory to remedy.

You will there also find the source for those files.

Also, if BC finds a py file, and there is no pyc file, or the py file wasn't the source of the pyc file, then it will generate a new pyc file, possibly overwriting the old one. And considering that incredibly few mods (save Foundation) don't overwrite any scripts/Icons files, it's one of the least (if not the least) modded area's.

Even Marks GUI mod only overwrote a single file, outside of scripts/Icons.

Besides, didn't I not already tell you that shields aren't controlled in scripts/Icons? Or was that someone else? Or are you talking about the tactical display?
I still can't read peoples minds, nor can I read peoples computers, even worse, I can't combine the two to read what is going wrong with your BC install...

"It was filed under 'B' for blackmail." - Morse, Inspector Morse - The dead of Jericho.

Offline Kirk

• My Released Mods
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2008, 02:00:36 PM »
Besides, didn't I not already tell you that shields aren't controlled in scripts/Icons?
Yeah, after I did this. :P

Offline JimmyB76

• Cookies: 421
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2008, 02:42:58 PM »
you didnt back up your folder first before overwriting im assuming?
also - why didnt you just make a thread asking about where shields are called from rather than tinkering around in uncertain lands? :P
btw isnt the shield texture the sphere.tga in the data folder?  or was it something other than that you were curious about?

Offline Kirk

• My Released Mods
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2008, 02:52:50 PM »
you didnt back up your folder first before overwriting im assuming?
nope :(
why didnt you just make a thread asking about where shields are called from rather than tinkering around in uncertain lands?
I pm'd MLeo and he suggested that the texture might be called from scripts/Icons
btw isnt the shield texture the sphere.tga in the data folder?  or was it something other than that you were curious about?
Yes, I was wondering what script called the texture to see if it could be overrided, making shield mutators possible.

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 833
  • Software Simian
    • the Programming Pantheon
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2008, 03:18:16 PM »
In the end, when I figured out this was about shieldtextures, I told you it (mostlikely) couldn't be done. ;)

Since you are running KM, get the originals from the KM directory.
I still can't read peoples minds, nor can I read peoples computers, even worse, I can't combine the two to read what is going wrong with your BC install...

"It was filed under 'B' for blackmail." - Morse, Inspector Morse - The dead of Jericho.

Offline Kirk

• My Released Mods
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2008, 11:44:52 AM »
The problem has been solved, somehow I corrupted the textures which led to this problem.

(lock please)