Author Topic: Premiere and Divx/xvid  (Read 629 times)

Offline Nighthawk

• |______[o]_|
  • Cookies: 18
Premiere and Divx/xvid
« on: October 08, 2008, 11:16:40 PM »
question for those who use Adobe premiere and divx/xvid (mainly Dante and Cordanilus :P)

is there a plugin for adobe that allows it to load divx/xivd-encoded files without those errors? or a conversion setting I have to put on the divx converter?

Premiere loads wmv, avi, and mpg fine, but when I record something from the screen (fraps-like) and save it, it's way too big, so I usually convert it if not to wmv, to divx, but I can't load divx files on premiere. audio loads, tho, but the video is all messed up....  :(

Offline cordanilus

• Cookies: 608
Re: Premiere and Divx/xvid
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2008, 01:47:37 PM »
I don't use Adobe Premiere so I can't help you out with that program.

But if it's xvid you're using, I would suggest you change the 4 cc code to something that your video editor can use.  It comes with the xvid install and should be called "Nic's 4 CC changer".  Now, when you have this program open...you'll have to open the video with this program by either clicking on the box with 3 dots or click and drag your video file into the slot to the left of it.

When it opens, you'll see which 4 cc code it uses and you can change them from there.  Now, if you haven't done this before...I would suggest copying the video file and play around with the copy until you get something that works.  Now, I say this in case the original file (if you don't make a copy) becomes unusable.  At least, until you get the hang of it.

If the audio loads, then this is all you should need to get the video to work.

There may be other ways with Adobe Premiere, but I'll let Dante handle that one. :D

Offline Nighthawk

• |______[o]_|
  • Cookies: 18
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2008, 06:09:50 PM »
so, it would be a matter of conversion encoding and not a issue of Premiere.....

I can open them elsewhere (MPlayer, VLC, Divx player...) but somehow it's something Adobe can't handle. Audition has the same problem if I import a video on the session tracks, the audio loads, but I don't see the video.

Offline cordanilus

• Cookies: 608
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2008, 07:14:24 PM »
The video editor that I use, can use DIVX but it can't use XVID unless I change the 4cc code to divx.  It doesn't impact the quality in any way and doesn't change the file size either.

Some video editors can use DIVX and XVID but only the older versions. 

I never tried importing any videos into audition...thought that was just for audio only.

I just did a google search about Adobe Premiere Pro...and it seems to always have problems with the Mpeg4 format...DIVX, XVID, etc.  Anyway, there's no real fix but there is a workaround without doing any converting.

http://www.debugmode.com/frameserver/

This seems to act like a server or something...you supposed to be able to run that, and you can import (sort of) your divx,xvid video that way into adobe premiere.

I can run it on my editor too, since it's supported....just to try it out anyway.

Edit:  Okay, just had a quick look at it...and it doesn't seem to work for a preview....just for rendering the final product.  :shock: ......nevermind.  I'm way over my head with this adobe premiere stuff.