Author Topic: SciFi Renders  (Read 103842 times)

Offline Dalek

• Cookies: 206
Re: SciFi Renders
« Reply #520 on: August 05, 2010, 05:00:37 PM »
Moving on, I've probably commited sacrilege here. :P
"To live on as we have is to leave behind joy, and love, and companionship, because we know it to be transitory, of the moment. We know it will turn to ash. Only those whose lives are brief can imagine that love is eternal. You should embrace that remarkable illusion. It may be the greatest gift your race has ever received."

- Lorien

Offline Kirk

• Cookies: 139
    • My Released Mods
« Reply #521 on: August 05, 2010, 05:05:39 PM »
Beautiful sacrilege

Offline Creative Inc

• Cookies: 11
« Reply #522 on: August 05, 2010, 07:51:38 PM »
Update: I've removed the camera focus entirely and reduces the scale of the waves.

Offline Kirk

• My Released Mods
« Reply #523 on: August 05, 2010, 07:54:36 PM »
Much better!

Offline limey BSc.

• JL Studios - Co-Founder
  • Cookies: 421
« Reply #524 on: August 05, 2010, 08:44:27 PM »
Update: I've removed the camera focus entirely and reduces the scale of the waves.

Aww, I quite liked the depth of field :P

As for the scale, it's looking much better. Could perhaps do with a little more. The Sov doesn't look like it could be much more than a couple of hundred meters there.
That's nitpicking though. It does look fantastic!

Any chance of either the scene or a quick video/tutorial on how that water was done?
MUSE!!!

Offline deadthunder2_0

• Cookies: 39
  • Tech, Nonstop, General- Modders Of Steel
    • Modders of Steel Home page
« Reply #525 on: August 06, 2010, 12:30:37 AM »

A Proxima class?
Support the Post TNG Ship Pack

Tech, Nonstop, General- Modders Of Steel,
We are the Modders that take everything to the next level, We are the Modders of Steel

Offline mckinneyc

• Screenshot Master
  • Cookies: 151
  • Screenshot Master
    • My DA page
« Reply #526 on: August 06, 2010, 06:48:36 AM »

You have actually proved that the new Star Trek movie could have been set in the prime universe and still looked great!

Offline Dalek

« Reply #527 on: August 06, 2010, 09:05:16 AM »
A Proxima class?

Not specifically but the JJ designs. Its a bit of a joke for those who weren't particularly fond of the movie.

You have actually proved that the new Star Trek movie could have been set in the prime universe and still looked great!

I guess that says a lot. :P
"To live on as we have is to leave behind joy, and love, and companionship, because we know it to be transitory, of the moment. We know it will turn to ash. Only those whose lives are brief can imagine that love is eternal. You should embrace that remarkable illusion. It may be the greatest gift your race has ever received."

- Lorien

Offline Villain

• Cookies: 71
  • The artist formerly known as Prime
« Reply #528 on: August 06, 2010, 01:42:00 PM »
I could mock up a tutorial on water scenes. I've been toying with it a lot lately, and I'm sure it could be easily translated into max.

"The design is clearly ancient... Launched hundreds of thousands of years ago."

Quote from: JimmyB76
der-ner-ner-ner-ner ..... der-ner-ner-ner-ner .....
---
Quote from: Rick Sternbach, on the topic of the Galor Class' length
...Probably not, but the number I get(379.6m) could be considered ?original intent,? a term that I think I will be using from now on, and ?canon? be damned.

Offline Creative Inc

« Reply #529 on: August 06, 2010, 08:55:13 PM »
Here's a 3ds max 9 scene with some water. You can check out the material settings to see how I did it. Actually, this is different then how I made the water in the render above but this way still works. Quick note, this scene utilizes Mental Ray for some of the materials.

Edit: I've attached the height map used on the ground plane. You will need it unless you can supply another height map for the displacement.

Offline Locke

• Cookies: 36
  • Cannot find REALITY.SYS - Universe Halted
« Reply #530 on: August 07, 2010, 05:04:46 AM »
I absolutely LOVE playing with displacement maps and/or bump maps, especially when you get something like water or terrain, since you can play with the fun tools in your texture editor software and make some abstract image that becomes a topographical feature.  Pretty neat, I think!  I'd like to see some more tutorial-type stuff about this, if you can.

Offline Creative Inc

« Reply #531 on: August 07, 2010, 05:27:30 AM »
Actually, if you didn't already notice, that height map can be tiled seamlessly.

Offline Dalek

« Reply #532 on: August 07, 2010, 05:40:25 PM »
After much confusion and annoyance, limey and I managed to create a successful atmosphere. And, here you have it. :)

- Lorien

Offline Creative Inc

« Reply #533 on: August 07, 2010, 06:02:21 PM »
Hey, that's pretty neat. Kinda has a blue hue to it though. Can I ask how you did it?

Offline Dalek

« Reply #534 on: August 07, 2010, 06:14:43 PM »
This tutorial. http://www.3dm3.com/tutorials/planet/ Just the first page. The earth and clouds were provided by limey as bitmaps.

The only problem with the atmosphere is that the sphere its applied to has to be adjusted (i.e. rotated) manually whenever the camera/viewport is moved.

- Lorien

Offline limey BSc.

• Cookies: 421
« Reply #535 on: August 07, 2010, 07:44:24 PM »
This tutorial. http://www.3dm3.com/tutorials/planet/ Just the first page. The earth and clouds were provided by limey as bitmaps.

The only problem with the atmosphere is that the sphere its applied to has to be adjusted (i.e. rotated) manually whenever the camera/viewport is moved.

I should point out, I added a look-at constraint to the atmosphere to do the rotating automatically, but for some reason, while it worked fine on my computer, it didn't on Daleks. No idea why.

I also modified the resulting material slightly to also give a thin white ring around the entire planet, but Dalek didn't like it and removed it :(
MUSE!!!

Offline Toa_Kaita

• Cookies: 58
  • Aspiring 3D Animator and Music Composer
    • Current Project - Earth-Link Origins
« Reply #536 on: August 07, 2010, 07:48:07 PM »
Two more from me, the Enterprise D and the Galaxy Dreadnaught by KnightRider.

Offline Dalek

« Reply #537 on: August 08, 2010, 06:57:57 AM »
I also modified the resulting material slightly to also give a thin white ring around the entire planet, but Dalek didn't like it and removed it :(

Hey, you're the one that said I should be happy with what I have. :P

Two more from me, the Enterprise D and the Galaxy Dreadnaught by KnightRider.

Very nice! But don't do image url's they become impossible to see on smaller sized monitors.

- Lorien

Offline Creative Inc

« Reply #538 on: August 08, 2010, 07:20:05 AM »
Here is a Max scene file with the atmosphere I use. Try it out if you like. You need Max 9 or higher.
This one can be shot from any angle. It reacts the same way as a real atmosphere so if there is no light or if the light is at the wrong angle, you won't see it. So position your lights accordingly.

Offline Kirk

• My Released Mods
« Reply #539 on: August 08, 2010, 07:24:06 AM »
+krama

I like that!