Author Topic: SciFi Renders  (Read 103876 times)

Offline CyAn1d3

• MacDill Shipyards Design Team
  • Cookies: 420
  • RETIRED
Re: SciFi Renders
« Reply #1380 on: April 17, 2013, 08:07:49 PM »
nice one baz!
I came, i saw, i added a Sig.
Later gents, i have Youtube to take over.
Cy - 1-12-15

Offline Vortex

• Modder in Learning
  • Cookies: 28
« Reply #1381 on: April 18, 2013, 11:59:08 AM »
Actually thought that that was a model kit at first.  :facepalm:

Offline baz1701

• Cookies: 1434
« Reply #1382 on: April 18, 2013, 01:20:54 PM »
lol your not teh only one  ;)
Whatever knocks us back, can only make us stronger.

Offline King Class Scout

• Cookies: 893
  • the other half of SFRD
« Reply #1383 on: April 18, 2013, 01:44:11 PM »
I took a look.  you've got the wrong look on the transparent pieces  turn up the transparency and refracions, and tint it a little bit blue. 
OS novel fan

Coming Soon: King's Mod Tuning Shop

best line I've ever read
Me: mine [my bridges] would probably be simple to get the characters to use.  the only person that sits is the captian.
Baz: space is vast there[sic] legs will be tired by the time they get to the next planet

Offline Lionus

• Cookies: 79
« Reply #1384 on: April 20, 2013, 10:10:20 AM »
also, the sides of the box are never straight. :banghead:
Star Trek Quad-nacelle fanboy Extraordinaire

StarFleet Research and Development Crash Test Dummie/Test pilot

"Beyond the rim of the star-light
My love
Is wand'ring in star-flight
I know
He'll find in star-clustered reaches
Love,
Strange love a star woman teaches.
I know
His journey ends never
His star trek
Will go on forever.
But tell him
While he wanders his starry sea
Remember, remember me."

Offline Shadowknight1

• Cookies: 71
  • Star Trek Into Darkness
« Reply #1385 on: April 20, 2013, 01:52:44 PM »
lol your not teh only one  ;)
I did for a bit, but the very perfect shadows gave it away lol

To Boldly Go...Again.

Offline ACES_HIGH

• BCC Roleplay Game Narrator
  • Cookies: 54
  • while(!(succeed=try()));
    • BCC Roleplay Games
« Reply #1386 on: April 20, 2013, 11:14:43 PM »
I took a look.  you've got the wrong look on the transparent pieces  turn up the transparency and refracions, and tint it a little bit blue. 

actually, I would stick with the white color.  I don't know about the JJ-prise kit, but usually unless they are aftermarket, clear parts are almost always molded in colorless plastic, and turn the reflectivity way up, they'd be a lot shinier.  Also, sprues are never that big, that would waste too much plastic.

Otherwise it's good.

Offline Killallewoks

• RNR
  • Cookies: 175
  • Innuendo implier extordanaire.
« Reply #1387 on: April 27, 2013, 08:25:01 AM »
A quick battle render of my League Dreadnought in action.

Full size: https://imageshack.us/scaled/large/153/eveningtheodds.jpg

Offline Toa_Kaita

• Cookies: 58
  • Aspiring 3D Animator and Music Composer
    • Current Project - Earth-Link Origins
« Reply #1388 on: April 27, 2013, 04:14:56 PM »
Gorgeous! Cookie inbound!

Offline Toa_Kaita

« Reply #1389 on: April 30, 2013, 05:55:03 PM »
Did I spell your name wrong Killa? :L Ah well, this was one of my favorite missions of the game.

Offline Killallewoks

• RNR
  • Cookies: 175
  • Innuendo implier extordanaire.
« Reply #1390 on: May 01, 2013, 09:01:00 AM »
Replace the last O with an E and it's about right.  :funny

Looks spot on!  :thumbsup:

Offline Toa_Kaita

« Reply #1391 on: May 02, 2013, 12:59:07 AM »
Can do, my bad :P Thanks!

Here's a video I've done for a new project I've been working with called Star Trek Begins; this is a compilation of animations showing off the Big-E we're using for the project. Check it out! (And yes, I'm trying and failing breaking the habit of using lens flare :/ )

Offline Vortex

• Modder in Learning
  • Cookies: 28
« Reply #1392 on: May 02, 2013, 10:35:38 AM »
Definitely tone the lens flares down, but you could still keep them a bit. Just reduce the size and brightness. Also, maybe the specularity, there seems to be a lot of white-out.

Please, please break the habbit of insane/spastic/ADHD shaky cam instead. That's a far more hideous crime than the lens flares. :p A little bit of it is alright, but that shot where the ship goes to warp near the end is rather disorientating. I really, really hate that everyone jumped on that band wagon when BSG started doing it.

Everything else looks great though. (Except that planet, it needs an atmosphere. :p ) The Asteroid field is impressive, did you use Element 3D for that?

Offline AllotoniFan

• Cookies: 8
« Reply #1393 on: May 02, 2013, 03:07:31 PM »

After watching FROZEN for the first time: Huge Feels
After watching FROZEN for the thousandth time: Huge Feels

Offline Toa_Kaita

« Reply #1394 on: May 02, 2013, 05:41:40 PM »
Definitely tone the lens flares down, but you could still keep them a bit. Just reduce the size and brightness. Also, maybe the specularity, there seems to be a lot of white-out.

Please, please break the habbit of insane/spastic/ADHD shaky cam instead. That's a far more hideous crime than the lens flares. :p A little bit of it is alright, but that shot where the ship goes to warp near the end is rather disorientating. I really, really hate that everyone jumped on that band wagon when BSG started doing it.

Everything else looks great though. (Except that planet, it needs an atmosphere. :p ) The Asteroid field is impressive, did you use Element 3D for that?

Ill keep all of this in mind once I start up the trailer.  Thanks :) And the asteroids were created with Max's PFlow Particle System. I havent experimented with Element 3D all that much.

Allotoni, thats a gorgeous shot!

Offline nxadam1701

• Cookies: 20
« Reply #1395 on: May 03, 2013, 12:37:19 AM »
Nice video, love the mini preview battle scene.
And that is one beautiful shot with the Prometheus.  :dance

Offline Phoenix Bondi

• REMEMBER YOUR ORIGIN
  • Cookies: 575
  • Never Forget Your Origins
    • CHRIS JONES GAMING
« Reply #1396 on: May 03, 2013, 05:17:42 PM »
Can do, my bad :P Thanks!

Here's a video I've done for a new project I've been working with called Star Trek Begins; this is a compilation of animations showing off the Big-E we're using for the project. Check it out! (And yes, I'm trying and failing breaking the habit of using lens flare :/ )

Please tell me how you did that warp sequence and how you got the lighting for the fly by from the sun, ok i don't like the connie, but other than that HOLY FRACK!!!

Offline Toa_Kaita

« Reply #1397 on: May 04, 2013, 12:00:43 AM »
The ship and the blue energy tunnel were rendered out in 3DS Max as separate passes (one render sequence for the Enterprise, one separate for the tunnel). The stars and streak effects were done in After Effects using Trapcode Particular and Trapcode Shine, respectively.

For the scene with the sun in the background, I believe I added in a separate light (probably a direct targeted) just above the main sunlight and with a higher intensity. Thanks!

Offline Phoenix Bondi

• REMEMBER YOUR ORIGIN
  • Cookies: 575
  • Never Forget Your Origins
    • CHRIS JONES GAMING
« Reply #1398 on: May 04, 2013, 01:14:32 AM »
bah..lost me, any chance of a bit more detail?? lol - really wanna do somthing similer with my work

Offline Toa_Kaita

« Reply #1399 on: May 05, 2013, 03:54:17 AM »
In 3DS Max:

Basically what I did was set up two lights on either side of the Enterprise (one key light closer to the camera at 1.2 intensity with a bright blue hue, one fill light on the other side of it with an intensity of about 0.2 with a darker blue hue), then rendered it out by itself, animated, as a TGA image sequence. When that was finished, I then used this old tutorial I made a while back for Sci-Fi Meshes to create the wormhole, using an extremely long cylinder gizmo and rendering that out separately by itself as an animated TGA sequence.

Then I used a nifty tool known as Max2AE to export the camera data from 3DS Max to After Effects (you could also export camera data by rendering out your individual elements as an RPF sequence, though I have yet to really experiment with that).

In After Effects:

I placed my Enterprise TGA sequence over my Wormhole TGA sequence and did some color correction on both layers using curves and levels adjustments (I really can't give an exact estimate on how well, bottom line is I made my whites a bit whiter and my darks a bit darker).

Then I added a new Adjustment layer and added in the Trapcode Particular plugin to that layer (Trapcode Particular is an advanced After Effects Particle Editor), then I used the "Galactic Orb" tutorial on VideoCopilot to create the stars. (Andrew Kramer is awesome, he actually did the opening title logo for Trek XI if I'm not mistaken ^_^)

I also added the Trapcode Shine effect to my Enterprise to give it those streaks coming off the hull by messing around with its built-in color values. Trapcode Shine is basically a plugin that generates light streaks (think Volumetric lighting).

Ultimately, I was inspired by this warp effect, which I unwittingly helped contribute to. http://youtu.be/9HXz2oOlN0A?t=7m50s

For the sunlight, what I did was create an omni light with a medium intensity (I want to say 0.4) and a yellowish hue and set it far off in the background. This served as my "decoy" light, if you will (that's what I applied the sun flare to). Directly above that light, I placed a target direct light, with a much higher intensity of 1.2 and a brighter yellow hue. I set the target to the middle of my scene.

Then I added in a skylight with a dark blue hue and an intensity of 0.2, and then I enabled the "Light Shader" plugin in the Render Settings menu.

Hope that helps a bit more, any questions let me know :D