Author Topic: SciFi Renders  (Read 103841 times)

Offline mckinneyc

• Screenshot Master
  • Cookies: 151
  • Screenshot Master
    • My DA page
Re: SciFi Renders
« Reply #1460 on: July 24, 2013, 11:51:15 AM »
Nice!

Can't wait to get my hands on that Defiant  :D

Offline Phoenix Bondi

• REMEMBER YOUR ORIGIN
  • Cookies: 575
  • Never Forget Your Origins
    • CHRIS JONES GAMING
« Reply #1461 on: July 25, 2013, 09:22:09 PM »

Offline mckinneyc

• Screenshot Master
  • Screenshot Master
    • My DA page
« Reply #1462 on: July 26, 2013, 03:28:56 AM »
Wow Mr P! I love it! Now get those ships released for BC  :P

Offline ACES_HIGH

• BCC Roleplay Game Narrator
  • Cookies: 54
  • while(!(succeed=try()));
    • BCC Roleplay Games
« Reply #1463 on: July 27, 2013, 09:43:53 PM »
one of these days I need to figure out if I can do stuff like that in poser.  that's awesome.

Here's one I did, trying to emulate the effect ships have when entering and exiting slipstream on Voyager.

I wish Photobucket didn't butcher my renders with jpeg compression though, it looked a lot better on my computer.  As before, the Defiant is provided by Farshot, the Vesta is by SF R&D.

I'm also experimenting with rendering the stars in celestia rather then using a stock star map.

Offline hobbs

• Cookies: 77
« Reply #1464 on: July 28, 2013, 12:20:16 PM »
very cool :) nice to see a SFRD ship :D

not sure if this will help... but i tend to save renders as PNG files and dont see any alteration of the picture quality when i post them from photobucket. granted my renders are less detailed.
"We are dreamers, shapers, singers and makers..." Michael Ansara, "Elric" Babylon 5 "The Geometry of Shadows,"

Offline Cadet

• Harland
  • Cookies: 14
    • My Bridge Commander Model Conversions
« Reply #1465 on: July 28, 2013, 01:05:03 PM »
Try uploading your image to the post instead of hotlinking. This was requested by Jimmy at least twice due to screen stretching.

I find no quality loss when saving my images out from PS in JPG or PNG, and quite often will open the image in MSPaint and simply click save. It will cut the filesize by half with no visible reduction in quality. PS files are large because of the metadata they contain. If the images are that important, you will retain PSD's for them anyways.
" class="bbc_img

Offline limey BSc.

• JL Studios - Co-Founder
  • Cookies: 421
  • JL Studios - Co-Founder
« Reply #1466 on: July 28, 2013, 04:20:57 PM »
Try uploading your image to the post instead of hotlinking. This was requested by Jimmy at least twice due to screen stretching.

I find no quality loss when saving my images out from PS in JPG or PNG, and quite often will open the image in MSPaint and simply click save. It will cut the filesize by half with no visible reduction in quality. PS files are large because of the metadata they contain. If the images are that important, you will retain PSD's for them anyways.

At one point, maybe. Unfortunately, we had to disable image uploading a while back.
MUSE!!!

Offline Cadet

• Harland
« Reply #1467 on: July 29, 2013, 12:42:47 PM »
Ah, my mistake then. Thanks for the tip!
" class="bbc_img

Offline ACES_HIGH

• BCC Roleplay Games
« Reply #1468 on: July 31, 2013, 11:04:55 PM »

Using MS paint on high res pics will cause major compression issues, I've tried that, MSpaint is just not designed for them.  The program I use to compress images when needed is Ifranview, it can compress pics very small with minimal compression artifacts.

Supposedly, the PB compression issues are because of a change that was made to the way PB handles large format HD images, I could have opted out of it and stayed with the old hosting format, but I didn't hear about it until it was too late.  I used to post most of my renders to a site called artzone, provided by Daz3D, but they shut down last year for some reason and never went back up.

Offline Cadet

• Harland
« Reply #1469 on: August 01, 2013, 01:48:29 PM »
Using MS paint on high res pics will cause major compression issues...

Stating that it causes "major compression issues" is well, a major overstatement.

Yes, it will generate artifacts but, in Windows 7 MSPaint employs an effective smoothing filter pass which reduces the artifact contrast by blending them.

For posting in forums, the quality difference is very negligible. If you are so concerned about the absolute quality, upload in PNG. For a very small tradeoff in filesize, you will always get a sharper image. With JPG quality settings at High, even Photoshop generates artifacts compared to saving in PNG format.

Because I simply cannot tolerate being called a liar :) Here is my rebuttal;

I took a 1920x1080 screengrab from NanoFX. I opened it in Photoshop and saved it to 2 filetypes; PNG and JPG (Maximum Image Quality).

I then took the JPG I just created and opened it in MSPaint and resaved it as a new JPG.

Then I created this image by increasing each original image by 400% and placing them side-by-side; (Please point out the "major compression issues" and/or artifacts) :)

Then, I uploaded it to Photobucket. I then redownloaded it from Photobucket to compare it for adverse compression caused by Photobucket, and found none. The filesize was exact as well.

Please be respectful of other peoples opinions. I was not stating my method as a fact, simply an alternative. :)
" class="bbc_img

Offline baz1701

• Cookies: 1434
« Reply #1470 on: August 01, 2013, 07:20:13 PM »
After chatting to Nix been playing with this scene.
Whatever knocks us back, can only make us stronger.

Offline Vortex

• Modder in Learning
  • Cookies: 28
« Reply #1471 on: August 02, 2013, 09:46:13 AM »
That's pretty cool, Baz. The line where the water is intersected by the saucer seems a little to straight. The window reflecting are cool.

Offline AllotoniFan

• Cookies: 8
« Reply #1472 on: August 02, 2013, 04:47:28 PM »
After watching FROZEN for the first time: Huge Feels
After watching FROZEN for the thousandth time: Huge Feels

Offline mckinneyc

• Screenshot Master
  • Screenshot Master
    • My DA page
« Reply #1473 on: August 02, 2013, 04:48:12 PM »
Wow!

Offline AllotoniFan

• Cookies: 8
« Reply #1474 on: August 02, 2013, 11:32:12 PM »
Two New Renders... :D :D :D :D :D

Looking For a New Home(STO-Legacy of Romulus Story)

Klingons, Always picking nice places to hunt.
After watching FROZEN for the first time: Huge Feels
After watching FROZEN for the thousandth time: Huge Feels

Offline ACES_HIGH

• BCC Roleplay Games
« Reply #1475 on: August 03, 2013, 02:14:16 AM »
Stating that it causes "major compression issues" is well, a major overstatement.

Yes, it will generate artifacts but, in Windows 7 MSPaint employs an effective smoothing filter pass which reduces the artifact contrast by blending them.

For posting in forums, the quality difference is very negligible. If you are so concerned about the absolute quality, upload in PNG. For a very small tradeoff in filesize, you will always get a sharper image. With JPG quality settings at High, even Photoshop generates artifacts compared to saving in PNG format.

Because I simply cannot tolerate being called a liar :) Here is my rebuttal;

I took a 1920x1080 screengrab from NanoFX. I opened it in Photoshop and saved it to 2 filetypes; PNG and JPG (Maximum Image Quality).

I then took the JPG I just created and opened it in MSPaint and resaved it as a new JPG.

Then I created this image by increasing each original image by 400% and placing them side-by-side; (Please point out the "major compression issues" and/or artifacts) :)

Then, I uploaded it to Photobucket. I then redownloaded it from Photobucket to compare it for adverse compression caused by Photobucket, and found none. The filesize was exact as well.

Please be respectful of other peoples opinions. I was not stating my method as a fact, simply an alternative. :)

ok, maybe they've improved MSPaint since the version bundled with XP, I know that version has issues.  The artifacting in your pic isn't as bad as what I would get in XP.  I never said you were a liar, I was merely pointing out that the version of MSPaint which I am familiar with is not the ideal software for this application, I was unaware that this had been improved in the newer version.

and the issue with PB seems to be in using linked pictures, it automatically scales them down or something to save on bandwidth, even though they still host the full size file.  So you can download a file from PB and not see a difference, but when you link them they will appear compressed.  Also, I've noticed that because of your browser cache, sometimes you'll still see the original version of a file, even though everyone else sees the compressed version, so it can be hard to tell until you either clear your cache or look at it on another computer.

Offline King Class Scout

• Cookies: 893
  • the other half of SFRD
« Reply #1476 on: August 03, 2013, 10:03:27 AM »
ok, maybe they've improved MSPaint since the version bundled with XP, I know that version has issues.  The artifacting in your pic isn't as bad as what I would get in XP.  I never said you were a liar, I was merely pointing out that the version of MSPaint which I am familiar with is not the ideal software for this application, I was unaware that this had been improved in the newer version.

and the issue with PB seems to be in using linked pictures, it automatically scales them down or something to save on bandwidth, even though they still host the full size file.  So you can download a file from PB and not see a difference, but when you link them they will appear compressed.  Also, I've noticed that because of your browser cache, sometimes you'll still see the original version of a file, even though everyone else sees the compressed version, so it can be hard to tell until you either clear your cache or look at it on another computer.

oh hell yes.  Hobbs was having me throw together the badge ideas for those shuttles of his for a while, and paint took a major step up from the XP version.
OS novel fan

Coming Soon: King's Mod Tuning Shop

best line I've ever read
Me: mine [my bridges] would probably be simple to get the characters to use.  the only person that sits is the captian.
Baz: space is vast there[sic] legs will be tired by the time they get to the next planet

Offline WileyCoyote

• The Other Ship Builder
  • Cookies: 1219
  • Awesome-sauce factory owner
« Reply #1477 on: August 03, 2013, 10:04:41 AM »
Since I use Photobucket, I too was having issues with picture quality. You have to check your account settings for image uploading. Then you will have crisp pictures if their filesize is 1MB or less.

I use Photoshop to save my images- Save for Web and Devices.
Please visit my Deviantart page at www.trekmodeler.deviantart.com.

My website is up! Download my ships here: http://www.michaelwileyart.com

Offline Cadet

• Harland
« Reply #1478 on: August 03, 2013, 07:17:11 PM »
A Chimera, patrolling the Kono Mining Station.

" class="bbc_img

Offline hobbs

• Cookies: 77
« Reply #1479 on: August 03, 2013, 07:48:42 PM »
Cadet.... i... *speechless*
 :bow:

thank you. im going to see if i can re cut the hull so the edge of the two maps are fitted better.

you do her proud sir!
"We are dreamers, shapers, singers and makers..." Michael Ansara, "Elric" Babylon 5 "The Geometry of Shadows,"