Author Topic: The FoaS Bridge thread... Create-A-Set system started  (Read 9075 times)

Offline Furyofaseraph

• The FoaS
  • Cookies: 49
    • Robinomicon
The FoaS Bridge thread... Create-A-Set system started
« on: December 22, 2008, 12:41:18 PM »
Create-A-Set system.

This system, which will be released in modules, can be used to piece together your own Star Trek interior. Different modules containing various puzzle-pieces will be released over time (I have no set schedule on when a module will come out).

Modules Released
 - Doors [Link]
 - Basic Lights [Link]
 - Chairs [Link]

Modules Planned
 - Advanced Lights

Modules being Brainstormed
 - Constitution-Refit/Galaxy corridor set
 - Intrepid corridor set
 - Sovereign corridor set
 - Starfleet Academy / Starfleet Command corridor set
 - Railings

Quote from: Original Post
Hey guys,

I've been playing around with the idea of making a bridge, but I don't want to just dive into things without thinking them through at least a bit. Basically I'm looking for any and all information you guys might have as far as conventions go. what's the normal diameter of a bridge set? Do you guys keep a consistent stair-step or chair height? Are there any prefab parts around so that I don't have to reinvent the wheel.
a basic modelling walkthrough would be fantastic.

"FoaSize (faux-uh-size): To seduce at an alarming rate with lots of blue and orange." ~ Firedrake

Offline Lurok91

• Cookies: 2062
  • SPMod Developer (Retired)
    • Lurok91 Mods
Re: Considering doing a quick bridge model... advice?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2008, 01:16:52 PM »
As a fellow noob, can only share my experience:
1)  There are no walkthroughs/guides
2)  You will read and be told it's incredibly complex and difficult and time-consuming (which it is!)
3)  Whether starting from scratch or not, there should be some pre-existing bridges (meshes) out there in different formats which you can load up to get a basic idea of dimensions/size.   Rest is down to your modelling skills  :D
4)  Fed bridges are probably easier to do and more popular
5)  err... that's it.

Hope been some use.

fellow beginner (WIP)

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 833
  • Software Simian
    • the Programming Pantheon
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2008, 01:27:34 PM »
Could you tell us what it is that you want to do?

The easiest is to retexture an existing bridge.
Possibly even with a model based overlay. Those are easier to do than the "real" bridge model.
I still can't read peoples minds, nor can I read peoples computers, even worse, I can't combine the two to read what is going wrong with your BC install...

"It was filed under 'B' for blackmail." - Morse, Inspector Morse - The dead of Jericho.

Offline Furyofaseraph

• The FoaS
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2008, 02:11:42 PM »
What do I want to do? in essence: play around.
I've had a few bridge ideas in my head for a little while, and I want to see what they look like in 3D.

Basically I'm looking for a sort of lecture. I've discovered I learn a lot better when I can get behind the thinking of someone who's working on something: why use 32 segments on the cylinder? why use shapemerge instead of vertex-pushing? so on and so forth. Essentially I'm wondering if there are any basic "rules" that you guys live by when you make a bridge model.

"FoaSize (faux-uh-size): To seduce at an alarming rate with lots of blue and orange." ~ Firedrake

Offline Furyofaseraph

• The FoaS
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2008, 01:02:29 AM »
Just farting around. Prolly not a good model for BC after all, its already at 1.2K-ish.

I'm going to go for a more military-esque thing than what you see in most trek. Kind of like the NX meets the ent-A (ala: Undiscovered Country).

Its turning out to be high modular - the parts around the perimeter can be rotated around the center into new configurations.
Here yuo can see I'm playing with different segment widths for things like the turbolift doors and such. Also, I bit the bullet and modelled on the pads for the back panel. textured one's didn't sit well with me.

Offline Kirk

• Cookies: 139
    • My Released Mods
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2008, 01:31:16 AM »
Does want!

Looking great. Even if it never gets into BC, I'd love the Max file after you're done.

Offline JimmyB76

• Cookies: 421
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2008, 01:37:58 AM »
keep in mind, after modeling there is texturing, lightmapping, scripting, animating, etc etc etc lol
BC bridges are loads of fun! :P

as far as polys, when all is said and done
we ran a test and had people comfortable up to 23k.. as with ships it seems that BC prefers polygons to large textures.

Offline Furyofaseraph

• The FoaS
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2008, 02:31:58 AM »
Soo.... whats a good place to find TMP Okudagrams?

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 833
  • Software Simian
    • the Programming Pantheon
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2008, 07:24:41 AM »
If Mnemosyne is kind to me right now, it's not really the polygon size of the bridge that really matters, it's the texture sizes (and the number of textures).
The Prommie bridge is in the 10k region for polygons, but if you use the "low" version (texture sizes at 1024 and 512 instead of 2048 and 1024) then it's very playable.
I still can't read peoples minds, nor can I read peoples computers, even worse, I can't combine the two to read what is going wrong with your BC install...

"It was filed under 'B' for blackmail." - Morse, Inspector Morse - The dead of Jericho.

Offline Barihawk

• Ninth Fleet STO Commanding Officer
  • Cookies: 225
  • BC: The Aftermath Member
    • My Released Work
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2008, 08:39:48 AM »
Soo.... whats a good place to find TMP Okudagrams?

Your head and a copy of ST6. Yes, sorry. The only way to get decent computer panels is to do them yourself, else you end up with grainy and mis-matched or blurry sets. You could ask Doc McCoy if you can use some of his prefabs, but they a bit later TMP than ST6.

I do like how you have modelled on the cushions. Those things are a pain in the ass to texture.

Offline Furyofaseraph

• The FoaS
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2008, 10:21:21 AM »
Oh, the cushions are so easy.

Attached tutorial :-).

Offline Furyofaseraph

• The FoaS
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2008, 10:52:12 AM »
Morning render... ill post another at about 2 or 3.

Offline Barihawk

• My Released Work
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2008, 11:38:02 AM »
Not even half bad. I hope this comes to fruition someday.

Offline Furyofaseraph

• The FoaS
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2008, 11:45:43 AM »
hehehe so do I.

I'm thinking about creating my own Okudagram style. Probably the same color pallete, not quite as rounded. Let me do a basic thing on the helm console and see what you guys think... If anyone has any resources for TMP okudagrams at all, I'd appreciate some links.
Many thanks.

Offline tiqhud

• BCFiles File Poster
  • Cookies: 1067
  • San Francisco Shipyards (HPer) file manuiplater
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2008, 11:47:34 AM »
looks good to , man we got some very talented folks. here is a cookie.
TiqHud
you sir, are unable to strike, the port or starboard parts of hull , of a bovine storage facility.
Canon , what people argue exists, that doesn't really  exist.
It is all the little details, that cause headaches.
"Never judge wealth with Money"
'Intelligence has Nothing to do with Politics'
it is Late, Do you know where your Towel is?

Offline Barihawk

• My Released Work
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2008, 12:00:41 PM »
hehehe so do I.

I'm thinking about creating my own Okudagram style. Probably the same color pallete, not quite as rounded. Let me do a basic thing on the helm console and see what you guys think... If anyone has any resources for TMP okudagrams at all, I'd appreciate some links.
Many thanks.

Creating your own style is the ideal way to go. Remember that the real Okudagrams were created by professionals using handtools and plexiglass at first, which would later be scanned into the animated displays later. They are incredibly hard to fully replicate, and it's your bridge! Your panels are your creations! They are one of the more distinctive things about your bridge.

Also, blue for the cushions :P.

Offline Bones

• Cookies: 639
  • SPAAAAAAAAACE !!!
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2008, 12:13:24 PM »
I saw my name here somwhere ;) I love that design so far, as for Okudagrams, as far as youkeep them square/rectangular with rounded edges and in blue/green/white color palette they are TMP ;) the rest is your imagination, also if you want I could provide you with some ST7 TMP displays I've made for my Ent-B retexture most of them were created while watching high res screencaps so they should be accurate and fit every TMP Okudagrams time period

Offline Furyofaseraph

• The FoaS
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2008, 01:35:12 PM »
I'd love to take a look. what format are they in?

I'm playin with a few ideas, and I'll post an image soon. Honestly? I'm thinking about forgetting rounded edges... let's embrace 45 degrees :-D...

Already ahead of you on the blue cushions :-)

Offline Furyofaseraph

• The FoaS
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2008, 03:26:27 PM »

Embracing the 45 degrees :-)

Offline Barihawk

• My Released Work
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2008, 03:53:11 PM »
Not bad for a first go at it!