Author Topic: Smitherine Productions Works in Progress!  (Read 79330 times)

Offline Chronocidal Guy

• Cookies: 296
  • Obsessive detailing is just what I do.
Re: Smitherine Productions Works in Progress!
« Reply #60 on: June 19, 2007, 03:27:35 PM »
Sorry to take so long, apparently the file wasn't backed up on my hard drive.. probably never got copied back after my last reformat.  I'll do some digging through my backup library and get back to you both.

Offline eclipse74569

• Roger Smith of the U.S.S. Lollypop, a good ship
  • Webmaster
  • Cookies: 65535
« Reply #61 on: June 19, 2007, 04:08:04 PM »
You bet I'd LOVE to have it!  LOL I'm prayin you do have it backed up somewhere!  Thnx my friend!

You can catch me at my email addy eclipse74569@yahoo.com
Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return, to obtain, something of equal value must be lost.  That is alchemy's first law of equivalent exchange.  In those days we really believed that to be the world's one and only truth~Alphonse Elric

Offline eclipse74569

• Webmaster
« Reply #62 on: June 28, 2007, 10:28:27 PM »
Work is going slow since I'm working on this thing with a Laptop of all things LOL.  Oy, my computer is in a storage unit until I move out into another house, I hate living with parents LOL.  Anyways, I'm still working on this as a retexture for the time being, that is if CG can find the original max file...I really wanna make ID maps for this baby so that it's SDT Friendly (Skinning and Damaging Tool for those who don't know...)  I'm using the Original hawkeye sovereign textures as a guide right now :).  The textures will be 2048x2048 And I will also include 1024's as well as 512's and 256's for those with lowend systems.

Wish me luck on this one!

Roger W.
Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return, to obtain, something of equal value must be lost.  That is alchemy's first law of equivalent exchange.  In those days we really believed that to be the world's one and only truth~Alphonse Elric

Offline Technerd89

• Cookies: 2
« Reply #63 on: July 06, 2007, 04:46:30 PM »
you should be able to get NIF import and export to max here. http://sourceforge.net/projects/niftools/ works fine with my max 9

Offline Bones

• Cookies: 639
  • SPAAAAAAAAACE !!!
« Reply #64 on: July 07, 2007, 11:12:08 AM »
As a good doctor I'll give You small sugestion, texture windows with patterns to achieve similiar effects as on FC-INS-NEM sovereign, they can be easly noticed while flybys, simple but looks a lot better than standard plain windows

Offline eclipse74569

• Webmaster
« Reply #65 on: July 08, 2007, 12:59:14 AM »
Dr. McCoy, I must add that the windows will be textured in the style of the SNS Galaxy...I MAY Change the coloring of them however.  I've restarted this from scratch but I hate it because I'm not very hand-eye co-ordinated (IE the curved darker areas of the ship :(.)  And so far I've only gotten the Phaser Banks and the RCS Thrusters on the top of the Saucer textured.  If there's any suggestions that you might have for the curved areas I would much appreciate it :)

Technerd:  If I had my Max 8 disc I wouldn't be complaining at the moment, I would need someone to save it to .3ds format in order for me to open it in Max 3.1.  If you're willing to do this, I can send you the model (IF CG gives me permission  EDIT:  I forgot when I wrote this that he already said that his work is fair game as long as you give him credit...my bad LOL)

Roger W.

Offline Bones

• SPAAAAAAAAACE !!!
« Reply #66 on: July 08, 2007, 08:09:09 AM »
Nope there's nothing I can do about that, still learning on texturing ... but about windows as I said good pattern will do great effects on ship, SNS windows are all the same they have small pattern but same applied to all windows, take for example one of my connie retextures or some WZs ships, every window has different pattern.
P.S. How do You make aztec textures on sovereign for example that's kinda hard or maybe there is a tool in photoshop, paint shop pro or gimp that I missed or dunno how to use it ? that would help me very much in futher retextures on TNG ships

Offline eclipse74569

• Webmaster
« Reply #67 on: July 08, 2007, 10:58:54 AM »
lol well, to be completely honest, I was using the CG Sovereign textures with the screenies posted above, I've since started from scratch

And as for the portholes...i don't know, I can't duplicate the effect with my photoshop without it looking funky so I basically copied the effect that scotchy did LOL.

As for the curvature...well, I use the lasso tool, but well as I said, no hand eye co-ordination :(

Offline Bones

• SPAAAAAAAAACE !!!
« Reply #68 on: July 08, 2007, 11:34:25 AM »
don't use lasso, if You have point to point select then use it it's far much precise than lasso but only on bigger surfaces, if You'll use it on details it will take a while

Offline eclipse74569

• Webmaster
« Reply #69 on: July 08, 2007, 11:43:19 AM »
Not entirely sure what that is to be honest :oops: I'm using Photoshop CS (not 2)

Offline ACES_HIGH

• BCC Roleplay Game Narrator
  • Cookies: 54
  • while(!(succeed=try()));
    • BCC Roleplay Games
« Reply #70 on: July 08, 2007, 01:02:16 PM »
I have PS elements 5, but it should be similar, it is a sub setting of the lasso tool, called the polygonal lasso tool, you can get it by right clicking on the lasso tool, the icon looks like the lasso, but with the "loop" shaped like a polygon.

Offline Bones

• SPAAAAAAAAACE !!!
« Reply #71 on: July 08, 2007, 03:47:40 PM »
I have PS elements 5, but it should be similar, it is a sub setting of the lasso tool, called the polygonal lasso tool, you can get it by right clicking on the lasso tool, the icon looks like the lasso, but with the "loop" shaped like a polygon.
I think it's not the same tool maybe cuz I'm using Paint Shop Pro 8 althoughI have Photoshop CS but I don't like its interface kinda unfriendly for people with my patience  :P

Offline eclipse74569

• Webmaster
« Reply #72 on: July 08, 2007, 08:10:30 PM »
LOL I Have PSP also, but I don't like it because if I use the TGA tool it looks funny :S.  I'm saving these in PSD Format.  If anyone else has any suggestions, please PM me :)

Roger

Offline Bones

• SPAAAAAAAAACE !!!
« Reply #73 on: July 09, 2007, 04:34:49 PM »
Well I don't like it either when it comes to mess up with alphas cuz You have to edit TGA in TGA tool then splited files edit in PSP, in PS CS & CS2 it is alot easier

Offline eclipse74569

• Webmaster
« Reply #74 on: July 12, 2007, 09:52:51 AM »
lol Understandable :)

I think I know exactly how I'm gonna do this :).  HOPEFULLY I can lol.  I have a lot of work ahead of me and I'm willing to take the challenge :D

Roger

Offline Chronocidal Guy

« Reply #75 on: July 14, 2007, 06:54:36 PM »
K, sorry to take so long getting it out, I had to move my computer home for the summer, and finding a place for it has been rather interesting.

This should be the original Max 3 file.  Some of the texture mapping doesn't seem right on the left warp nacelle though, you may have to delete it, and make a copy of the right one.  I couldn't find the original textures, but I'm guessing you have those already. :)  If you need it in 3ds format instead, let me know.

Btw, the best way to learn anything is to just work it into a project, and teach yourself as you go.  That's what the Nemesis Sovereign was, my first actual project.  After that was done, I took what I learned, and made the CG Sov.  Since then, I tend to make experiment projects to test ideas before actually attempting something fancy.  For instance, right now I'm working on an X-Wing model that I intend to use as a testbed for a bunch of new coding for Flight Simulator X.

Offline eclipse74569

• Webmaster
« Reply #76 on: July 14, 2007, 07:07:07 PM »
Thanks CG :).  This is a learning experience for me as well as far as retexturing and other things, I'm planning on learning more of modeling though :).  If it opens up in Max 3 I should be fine as far as that's concerned considering I have Max 3.1 :).  Thanks again CG!  Will keep this updated :D

And it's not opening in 3.1...:(

Roger

Offline Chronocidal Guy

« Reply #77 on: July 15, 2007, 04:16:02 AM »
Hmm.. sorry it's not working, I may have sent you a file for the wrong version of Max.. this one isn't my oldest backup, so it might be for Max 8.

Here's the 3ds though.  Just be warned, 3ds files screw up smoothing, texture names, etc.. and I'm not sure the mapping is correct on the nacelles, it might be either mirrored or corrupted.  I'm leaving for vacation tomorrow, but I'll have internet.. just not my files, since it's not my computer.  Let me know of any problems, and we'll try to sort it out when I come back friday.

Offline ACES_HIGH

• BCC Roleplay Game Narrator
  • Cookies: 54
  • while(!(succeed=try()));
    • BCC Roleplay Games
« Reply #78 on: July 15, 2007, 12:42:45 PM »
neat, BTW CG what happened to the F-14 you were making a while back?

Offline eclipse74569

• Webmaster
« Reply #79 on: July 15, 2007, 01:50:20 PM »
Thanks again CG.  Only problem  I have right now is the fact you had already started working on this making it 1.0 LOL.  But that's solvable for me once I learn how to fix the top saucer the way it was in FC :)