Author Topic: Smitherine Productions Works in Progress!  (Read 79325 times)

Offline Chronocidal Guy

• Cookies: 296
  • Obsessive detailing is just what I do.
Re: Smitherine Productions Works in Progress!
« Reply #80 on: July 26, 2007, 06:16:05 PM »
K, been away on vacation, and didn't get to check in here.. everything going okay with the model now?

(off topic)
neat, BTW CG what happened to the F-14 you were making a while back?
'

Oh, it's doing great. :)  Don't want to derail this, but look up iris flight simulations for more details.

Offline eclipse74569

• Roger Smith of the U.S.S. Lollypop, a good ship
  • Webmaster
  • Cookies: 65535
« Reply #81 on: July 30, 2007, 05:41:52 PM »
K, been away on vacation, and didn't get to check in here.. everything going okay with the model now?

Well I haven't had much of a chance to do anything as of yet, but I'm working on new textures, which is quite difficult at the moment LOL.

EDIT:  Here's what I've gotten so far (JUST top saucer y'all), the front edge needs a bit of work, but other than that It's ok :)
Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return, to obtain, something of equal value must be lost.  That is alchemy's first law of equivalent exchange.  In those days we really believed that to be the world's one and only truth~Alphonse Elric

Offline eclipse74569

• Webmaster
« Reply #82 on: July 31, 2007, 08:41:04 AM »
Got a little bored with being around the house a little and started work on the bridge.  REMEMBER this is a FC retexture so of course it's gonna be lighter :)

Roger
Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return, to obtain, something of equal value must be lost.  That is alchemy's first law of equivalent exchange.  In those days we really believed that to be the world's one and only truth~Alphonse Elric

Offline eclipse74569

• Webmaster
« Reply #83 on: August 01, 2007, 09:44:48 AM »
Ok, Work is going well with this, I've already gotten maybe 1/3rd of the top Saucer done, and partial bridge textures as well (And I've started the specular highlights as they look a hell of a lot better on the ship in game :D).  HOWEVER CG If you come back to this thread I'd like to know how you got all those aztech patterns on the 1.0 of your Sovereign.  I would imagine it would be a tedious effort getting all that small detail in lol and it would take a long time.  Am I correct in assuming this?

Roger

AndrewJ

« Reply #84 on: August 01, 2007, 09:56:53 AM »
Nice work man :D

Offline Mustang

• Resident Movie Critic
  • Cookies: 46
  • Muse Fan
« Reply #85 on: August 01, 2007, 10:11:44 AM »
Very, very nice. Looking forward to seeing more textures on it.

Offline Chronocidal Guy

• Cookies: 296
  • Obsessive detailing is just what I do.
« Reply #86 on: August 02, 2007, 03:42:50 AM »
K, the aztec patterns are mostly just a tileable texture that I placed as the background of my textures when I drew them.  For the saucer though, it's a little different, since you need a rounded pattern.  It took a little experimenting, but I actually did that in Max itself, and it was rather easy, with some experimentation.

The trick is that I didn't draw the aztec patterns on the saucer, I rendered them. :)  To get the pattern right, I took all the saucer areas with rounded panel patterns, applied my aztec tile texture, and applied a cylindrical texture map to those areas.  It won't work if the saucer is completely flat, since it'll just stretch the texture all over the flat faces... but with the correct UV scaling and tiling settings on the map (very high tiling numbers I think, with pretty low scaling), you'll get the aztec patterns wrapped around the surface of the saucer very nicely.  It does take a lot of trial and error, but it's much faster then drawing them manually. :D 

The easiest way to do it might be to just make an oval-shaped cone that approximates the shape of the saucer, give it the cylinder map and texture, and use that in the next step.  Just to be safe, I'd make a copy of the model just for experimenting this way, since you might need to alter the saucer to make it work right (I think I did, which is why I think the bottom surface of the saucer is not entirely flat in some places).

After you get the panels looking good, set the tiled texture illumination to 100% to remove shadows, set your render background to black (or some other easy to filter color), and render a top/bottom view of the saucer (or imitation saucer).  Make sure the image resolution is decent for the size texture you're making, then just copy/paste the render into your texture as the background for the saucer details.

I imagine you could also do the same within the model, modeling a few panels, and then using some feature of Max to tile them around the saucer, but I really don't know much about how to do that (I may have to try it someday though, would look awesome to have the aztec panels modeled in :D).

Offline eclipse74569

• Webmaster
« Reply #87 on: August 02, 2007, 07:57:22 AM »
mmmmm...kay lol considering I'm using Photoshop for the textures (I haven't yet touched the model for the ID maps, I am an aquanted modeler, got a lot of kinks to work out :)...)  Perhaps I could just use the lasso tool and make several random shapes and then copy/paste them in a circular pattern???  I think that would work out easier with Photoshop, it would still take some time, but I think I can pull it off (possibly do half the saucer then mirror it)  :).  And i'll be working on this later on tomorrow (considering my last day of summer classes are today, and I'll be registering for fall semester on the 6th)

EDIT:  Oops...Well, I'll have to find some tutorials about texturing in Max, I still haven't gotten the hang of it yet...but I shall someday :)

Offline eclipse74569

• Webmaster
« Reply #88 on: August 05, 2007, 12:37:48 PM »
Something that always annoyed me with the Nemesis Sovereign was the area around the shuttle bay...innacurate LOL  So here's my update :D

EDIT:  P.S. Forgive the alpha channels, i forgot to take them out lol.  Oh and I forgot to say the top saucer is looking like a Sovereign one now ;).  Although I had to use the 1.0 for it, it looks excellent :)

startrekw_george

« Reply #89 on: August 05, 2007, 03:25:33 PM »
this is looking really sweet!  :D

Offline eclipse74569

• Webmaster
« Reply #90 on: August 06, 2007, 10:09:43 AM »
UPDATE:  I've slightly changed the Secondary hull at least what I've gotten so far. I've now also added the shuttle bay doors to the sec hull.  Saucer hasn't changed much, I wanna work on different things while I work on this LOL keep me from procrastination :D.

CG:  Do you by any chance have MSN?  If so could ya add me?  I think I've got it in my profile, if not I'll have added it by the time you get this :P

Offline admiral horton

• Cookies: 4
    • my devianart page
« Reply #91 on: August 06, 2007, 11:54:47 PM »
im realy lking the progress of this ship looking very good hope to see more :dance
there are great starship designs and there is crap

Please visit my Deviantart page at http://admiral-horton.deviantart.com/

startrekw_george

« Reply #92 on: August 07, 2007, 01:25:26 AM »
will it have animated bussard collectors like the CG sov?

Offline eclipse74569

• Webmaster
« Reply #93 on: August 07, 2007, 08:51:04 AM »
Yes, it will.  Right now I'm just making this a retexture of the original ship file until I learn enough about modeling to learn how to fix a couple of problems with the max file I have :).  I actually have three...one max file was imported using the NIFtools NIF Plugin, and well, I haven't figured out what is going on, but when I render it, it's not showing the textures...the maps are there, but the textures aren't showing up (neither is the ifl file).  Another file is the Second one CG gave me...The one CG Gave me is a post release...he had already started editing it to make it look more like the Nemesis Sovereign...with the neck and torpedo bays.  The bays have been deleted, but I'm not sure how I should go about fixing the neck.  The third is the same as the second, only it's the Raw mesh...not converted or anything.  I would need Max 8 to have any option of opening it, and unfortunately, I don't have it on my laptop.  So I need to hurry up with my desktop :D

Anywhosits, enjoy these photos while I sleep ;)

startrekw_george

« Reply #94 on: August 07, 2007, 01:54:48 PM »
its coming along!, this is cool!, finally competition for the CG sov. :D

Offline eclipse74569

• Webmaster
« Reply #95 on: August 07, 2007, 04:47:38 PM »
hehe, CG's 1.0 is the complete CG Sov...this is just his FC Sovereign ;)

startrekw_george

« Reply #96 on: August 08, 2007, 03:16:43 PM »
hehe.. now i feel like a newb

Offline Nebula

• BC elder / BCC Vice Admin
  • Administrator
  • Cookies: 1129
  • KM - Mod Team Member & BC - Elder (2002)
    • 9th fleet HQ
« Reply #97 on: August 08, 2007, 04:17:03 PM »
looks great
Canon is what people argue exists on ships that don't exist.

Offline eclipse74569

• Webmaster
« Reply #98 on: August 08, 2007, 05:43:15 PM »
 Thanks, don't know how much it means to me for a well respected individual like yourself to leave a good comment :D.  Gives me that much more motivation LOL

Offline moed

• Cookies: 57
  • Star Trekus Fanaticus
« Reply #99 on: August 08, 2007, 07:15:22 PM »
eclipse... this is looking awesome but not to detract from the topic of this thread but, what ever happened to your TOS pack?