Author Topic: BSOD after DS9FX install  (Read 984 times)

lladell

BSOD after DS9FX install
« on: March 21, 2009, 11:37:46 PM »
Greetings

I have had a working BC 1.1 until recently and would appreciate assistance. The only mods I had installed are several individual ships, the klingon tactical officer, and the vulcan first officer. Then I installed DS9FX 3.0, and met the dread bsod. The console dump is attached. I installed Bridge Plugin after the bsod in a misguided attempt at helping things, but it didn't help. It also didn't change the contents of the console dump. There was one odd thing when I installed DS9FX - the installer didn't give a default directory, so I chose c:\program files\activision\bridge commander. I did check that things seemed to go in the right place - for example, the zzz_ds9fx.py file is in the bridge commander\scripts\custom\autoload folder. Any suggestions appreciated. Cheers!

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 833
  • Software Simian
    • the Programming Pantheon
Re: BSOD after DS9FX install
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2009, 07:29:54 AM »
Well, it shouldn't say that, could you attach the file (zzz_ds9fx.py)?
I still can't read peoples minds, nor can I read peoples computers, even worse, I can't combine the two to read what is going wrong with your BC install...

"It was filed under 'B' for blackmail." - Morse, Inspector Morse - The dead of Jericho.

lladell

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2009, 06:57:18 PM »
Well, it shouldn't say that, could you attach the file (zzz_ds9fx.py)?

Hi and thanks for the reply. I have attached the file. Cheers!

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Software Simian
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2009, 07:08:45 PM »
It should just work, but this should remove the error you were having and mostlikely show a new error that was the root cause of the error you posted above.
I still can't read peoples minds, nor can I read peoples computers, even worse, I can't combine the two to read what is going wrong with your BC install...

"It was filed under 'B' for blackmail." - Morse, Inspector Morse - The dead of Jericho.

lladell

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2009, 11:23:20 PM »
It should just work, but this should remove the error you were having and mostlikely show a new error that was the root cause of the error you posted above.

Excellent - definitely got further this time. BC loads up to main menu. When I choose New Game and Start, I see Sovereign splash graphic for a few secs, and the BSOD with music, but no cursor. Crash dump attached. I can hit esc and it takes me back to the main menu. Thanks!

Offline ACES_HIGH

• BCC Roleplay Game Narrator
  • Cookies: 54
  • while(!(succeed=try()));
    • BCC Roleplay Games
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2009, 12:06:42 AM »
bridge plugin is not compatible with the Campaign, that might have something to do with it.  can you try Quick battle and see if it has the same error?

lladell

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2009, 06:19:57 AM »
bridge plugin is not compatible with the Campaign, that might have something to do with it.  can you try Quick battle and see if it has the same error?

Bummer - it was the DS9FX campaign I was most interested in. If there is a way to remove bridge plugin, I'd appreciate advice. Meanwhile, I've added two more screenshots. For the first, I started in test mode, and at the main menu hit the Test Only button (since in Test Mode there is no Quick Battle button). I then selected Quick Battle as the mission, and when I got my bsod with music, I hit the ` key and Enter and did the first screenshot. Then for laughs I hit the `key again, waited 30 secs or so, and hit `again and Enter to do the second screenshot. Thanks in advance for advice.

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Software Simian
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2009, 04:00:03 PM »
The second is the result of the first.

What I think is happening is that you don't have the latest Foundation.
There recently was a similar issue (this exact error!). You should be able to find that.

Offline ACES_HIGH

• BCC Roleplay Game Narrator
  • Cookies: 54
  • while(!(succeed=try()));
    • BCC Roleplay Games
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2009, 10:14:24 PM »

Bummer - it was the DS9FX campaign I was most interested in. If there is a way to remove bridge plugin, I'd appreciate advice. Meanwhile, I've added two more screenshots. For the first, I started in test mode, and at the main menu hit the Test Only button (since in Test Mode there is no Quick Battle button). I then selected Quick Battle as the mission, and when I got my bsod with music, I hit the ` key and Enter and did the first screenshot. Then for laughs I hit the `key again, waited 30 secs or so, and hit `again and Enter to do the second screenshot. Thanks in advance for advice.

DS9FX doesn't include a separate campaign, it includes additional missions which can be accessed through Quick battle by warping to the Deep Space 9 system and hailing the station.

lladell

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2009, 10:52:45 PM »
DS9FX doesn't include a separate campaign, it includes additional missions which can be accessed through Quick battle by warping to the Deep Space 9 system and hailing the station.
[/quote]

I see - that makes sense now. With your help, I've been able to get the Quick Battle working, so I will try the mission. Thank you!