Author Topic: Need help with Model Property Editor  (Read 1285 times)

Offline Anarchist86ed

• Cookies: 0
Need help with Model Property Editor
« on: March 06, 2009, 02:35:54 PM »
I've just started modding, so forgive the noobness.

I'm having issues figuring out the Model Property Editor.

I can't for the life of me figure out how to place new phaser or  or anything. I add the new property but I can't figure out how to position them where I want on the model...

Some tuts I got don't seem to mention how to move anything into the proper position...

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 833
  • Software Simian
    • the Programming Pantheon
Re: Need help with Model Property Editor
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2009, 02:40:58 PM »
I'll move this to Modding, you will get more answers there.

Be sure to check the Tutorial subforum if you haven't already.

*Moved*
I still can't read peoples minds, nor can I read peoples computers, even worse, I can't combine the two to read what is going wrong with your BC install...

"It was filed under 'B' for blackmail." - Morse, Inspector Morse - The dead of Jericho.

Offline szekeres2008

• Lt. Commander Mr. Mouse
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2009, 02:46:44 PM »
Check some hardpoints comes with mods, the best way to start!

Offline Anarchist86ed

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2009, 02:52:32 PM »
I'll move this to Modding, you will get more answers there.

Be sure to check the Tutorial subforum if you haven't already.

*Moved*

New here... didn't know better.

Check some hardpoints comes with mods, the best way to start!

Nah wit's the same thing with no hardpoints. I can't move anything into the proper positions on the models. There's some function I can't figure out to do it.

Offline Dalek

• Cookies: 206
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2009, 03:03:00 PM »
If you open up the phaser, go to the tab on the right and you'll see 3d Positioning X, Y and Z on the bottom left. Use those to move around. Trial and error is your best potion. It's what I do.
"To live on as we have is to leave behind joy, and love, and companionship, because we know it to be transitory, of the moment. We know it will turn to ash. Only those whose lives are brief can imagine that love is eternal. You should embrace that remarkable illusion. It may be the greatest gift your race has ever received."

- Lorien

Offline Anarchist86ed

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2009, 03:05:27 PM »
ah........

Is there no simpler method?

Offline Dalek

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2009, 03:11:55 PM »
Nope. As far as I know anyway. I'm still new at these things. I'm sure there other scripters better at explaining things better than me.
"To live on as we have is to leave behind joy, and love, and companionship, because we know it to be transitory, of the moment. We know it will turn to ash. Only those whose lives are brief can imagine that love is eternal. You should embrace that remarkable illusion. It may be the greatest gift your race has ever received."

- Lorien

Offline Anarchist86ed

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2009, 03:43:50 PM »
not being ungrateful.

It's just that...... ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh  :? I hate math.

thanks though.

Offline Dalek

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2009, 03:47:25 PM »
It's not really mathematical. You just put a number in and see how far the hardpoint goes. It's almost like a guessing game.

- Lorien

Offline teleguy

• Cookies: 53
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2009, 04:16:53 PM »
ah........

Is there no simpler method?
Select the Locate Tool and simply click on a point on the model where you want to place the system. Then open the systems property window and click on "Get Position".

Btw almost everything is explained in the modelpropertyeditor html file that comes with the SDK.

Offline Anarchist86ed

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2009, 04:46:55 PM »
I'm sure it is, but it wasn't clear enough for my tiny underpowered brain.

Offline Anarchist86ed

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2009, 05:34:49 PM »
K. Any advice on angling the "coney" things to point in the proper direction? On the model it's in the right spot, but the cone thing or whatever you call it just points forward.

Offline teleguy

• Cookies: 53
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2009, 06:17:35 PM »
Use the input boxes for horizontal and vertical angles on the first tab to set the boundaries of the cone . Just try different values and see how the cone changes shape.
You can also use the Orientation box at the top to change the orientation of the cone either by manually entering numbers or by clicking on spin with the left or right mouse button though that function is mostly usefull for aligning the curved phaser arrays of the TNG Era.
Just using the start and end angles should suffice for ball turrets.

Offline Anarchist86ed

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2009, 01:28:01 PM »
K, now that I've learned to use this thing, I need more help.

Like, is there any other program out there that does this same stuff? because this thing is Frakkin' worthless.

It crashes every single time I make a change to a script and DELETES THE ENTIRE SCRIPT. It'll save the changes I make maybe twice out of a hundred tries thus making this thing not only unuseable but I can't imagine anyone else is using this thing to get anything done with their models...

Offline Dalek

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2009, 01:35:32 PM »
That should not happen. If it involves making a brand new script, then yes, it can be like that at first.

- Lorien

Offline Anarchist86ed

« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2009, 03:06:44 PM »
Well I have to edit an existing script but i've tryed doing a fresh one but it does the exact same thing. I had a model entirely pimped by hand, and it crashed on exit and the entire script was deleted despite the fact i'd saved, and closed the window that displays the model.

_____

The only way around it seems to be edit... close... open another model... close then exit program. Then when it crashes it doesn't delete the script of the model I'm working on...

(posts merged)

Offline ACES_HIGH

• BCC Roleplay Game Narrator
  • Cookies: 54
  • while(!(succeed=try()));
    • BCC Roleplay Games
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2009, 10:01:22 PM »
that shouldn't happen, are you saying it crashes on Exit?  is everything set right?

Offline Starforce2

• Master Hardpointer
  • Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 882
    • Facebook
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2009, 02:39:41 AM »
the crashing is unusual. Infact, I just had it crash during a save and amde the hp 0kb file..completely wiped it. Luckily it was just the grief class so I went and copied over another FCA hp and re-did it 5 minutes faster than I did the first one lol. First time in all my years hp'ing i remember one doing that crap.

What exactly do you press that it crashes? And once you save, if it crashes, there should not be any changed written to the hp. That is really odd. Sounds like it's time for me to get out the cam studio and do a tutorial on the MPE.
I just realised something. I've released over 300 fully modded ships for bridge commander. Bow to your master :D
Read my mod blog!
http://bcs-tng.com/forums/index.php?action=viewblog;u=1129

Offline KrrKs

• Cookies: 25
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2009, 08:27:22 AM »
Sounds like it's time for me to get out the cam studio and do a tutorial on the MPE.

Yay! Anyway i think MPE crashes if you try to save an HP without ShildGenerator. (At least it did that on one of my Ships