Author Topic: Retexturing bridges with BPCore  (Read 1244 times)

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 833
  • Software Simian
    • the Programming Pantheon
Retexturing bridges with BPCore
« on: March 18, 2009, 02:13:55 PM »
I don't know how you did it until now, but could I interest you in using the texture swapping (ie. the SDT for bridges) included in BPCore? I would like to know the pain points of using that for bridge retexturing.

Split from the original topic.

To clarify, I asked in a thread about a couple of retextures if the thread started tried to use BPCore to do this, since it includes map swapping capabilities.
I still can't read peoples minds, nor can I read peoples computers, even worse, I can't combine the two to read what is going wrong with your BC install...

"It was filed under 'B' for blackmail." - Morse, Inspector Morse - The dead of Jericho.

Offline Barihawk

• Ninth Fleet STO Commanding Officer
  • Cookies: 225
  • BC: The Aftermath Member
    • My Released Work
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2009, 03:26:24 PM »
I don't know how you did it until now, but could I interest you in using the texture swapping (ie. the SDT for bridges) included in BPCore? I would like to know the pain points of using that for bridge retexturing.

It's really only useful on bridges that already use the map swapping, otherwise you would have to completely rescript the bridge and models in order to make it work. Which is major pain points.

If he does come back and let me work on these, I'll try but for the most part I'll stick to simple animations.

Offline JimmyB76

• Cookies: 421
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2009, 03:29:07 PM »
It's really only useful on bridges that already use the map swapping, otherwise you would have to completely rescript the bridge and models in order to make it work. Which is major pain points.
indeed - ive tried map swapping on bridges (like the Defiant, for example) that dont have map swapping already, and just am not able to be successful at it, no matter everything i try to do...  i think i may have asked about that a long time ago (was trying to swap maps for the lights on the sides of the bridge to change at alert levels)...
but that could just be me, and maybe im missing something (ill save that thought for another thread someday when i try it again)...

Offline Barihawk

• Ninth Fleet STO Commanding Officer
  • Cookies: 225
  • BC: The Aftermath Member
    • My Released Work
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2009, 04:16:05 PM »
As far as I can tell, it would require not only scripting changes, but actually reassigning the textures on the physical model. I don't have a modelling program, I don't plan on buying one and no thanks I do not wish to pirate one. Yes, it does cause some inconvenience when modding but I don't mind working around that sort of thing.

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Software Simian
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2009, 05:21:27 PM »
Perhaps I should start a new thread for this.

I shall split these last few posts and start a new thread.
I still can't read peoples minds, nor can I read peoples computers, even worse, I can't combine the two to read what is going wrong with your BC install...

"It was filed under 'B' for blackmail." - Morse, Inspector Morse - The dead of Jericho.

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Software Simian
Re: Retexturing bridges with BPCore
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2009, 05:28:07 PM »
Thread splitted.

I believe lightmaps can't be swapped, but I'm fairly sure that swapping the other maps work, since I got that texture animation code to work.

In this case, there is a slot called "NormalMaps" in BPCore (unfortunately, not the Graphics type of "Normal" maps, in this case the "usual" maps), which acts exactly like SDT does for ships.

The idea is that you only need to "copy" the plugin (from scripts/Custom/Autoload) and add that slot with your retextures.

Offline JimmyB76

• Cookies: 421
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2009, 05:43:19 PM »
it wasnt lightmaps i was trying to swap (lol forgive my terrible explanation)

it was the texture of the lights themselves on the bridge (light.tga i think it was) i was trying to swap at different alert levels...
it just would not work lol

As far as I can tell, it would require not only scripting changes, but actually reassigning the textures on the physical model.
thats prolly why i couldnt get it to work; i hadnt even considered that in all honesty...  i assumed it would just be only scripting that would be needed to swap textures...

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Software Simian
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2009, 06:17:16 PM »
There are only a few maps that you can't swap on a bridge, LCARs for one. Which is why I created those Texture Animations.
But I currently can't remember if those textures (for the lights) are part of it.

Do remember, the interface (way to use this) is _exactly_ the same as with SDT.

I don't suppose anyone has a failed attempt of this?