Author Topic: Modders check this site for thievery.  (Read 1507 times)

Offline DJ Curtis

• Ship Builder
  • Cookies: 1410
  • I make ships.
Modders check this site for thievery.
« on: April 12, 2009, 07:03:26 PM »
stumbled on this today.  i know some of my work has been used without permission, not to mention credits all messed up.  check to see if any of your work has been used.  i'm pretty sure i've recognized work from myself, scotchy, wiley, cord, moonraker, LC, and others.

http://www.shatters.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=13150&st=0&sk=t&sd=a
http://www.celestiamotherlode.net/

Offline TheHalfMonte

• Cookies: 1
Re: Modders check this site for thievery.
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2009, 08:05:35 PM »
I just browsed both sites for about half an hour and it looks as if 'Reiko' is the main concern as far as the theft of 'do not port' modelling work is concerned. But mod owners will have an even more discerning eye for their work than I. . .

Offline FarShot

• That guy with good ideas...
  • Cookies: 787
  • I'm actually making stuff! :D
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2009, 12:58:30 AM »
All the pictures are gone...

Ah... do a google image search saying "reiko 1701f".  That'll give you clear proof of DJ's ship.

Offline gdata

• STLegacyFiles Site Manager
  • Cookies: 4
  • LegacyFiles Site Manager
    • Legacy Files

Offline Villain

• Cookies: 71
  • The artist formerly known as Prime
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2009, 06:06:01 AM »
Disgusting, makes me glad I'm not competent enough of a modeller to release anything good enough for stealing. Have you taken any action yet?

"The design is clearly ancient... Launched hundreds of thousands of years ago."

Quote from: JimmyB76
der-ner-ner-ner-ner ..... der-ner-ner-ner-ner .....
---
Quote from: Rick Sternbach, on the topic of the Galor Class' length
...Probably not, but the number I get(379.6m) could be considered ?original intent,? a term that I think I will be using from now on, and ?canon? be damned.

Offline gdata

• Legacy Files
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2009, 07:45:24 AM »
Disgusting, makes me glad I'm not competent enough of a modeller to release anything good enough for stealing. Have you taken any action yet?

Nobody is incompetent enough to be secure from mod theft. Even I have been a victim of mod theft a few years ago, and that mod was real crap. I could not find any models from DJ there (probably did not look long enough for them), but didthey not ask and provided credits, or did they simply claim DJ's work as theirs?

Offline Dalek

• Cookies: 206
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2009, 08:00:57 AM »
Re: Some more Trek addons in the works
by Reiko on Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:23 pm

Found it on Bridge Commander site. It looks like a cross between a Sovereign and a Voyager Intrepid class.
Reiko

Oh, he just found it and didn't bother to ask? Permission to blow his face off?
"To live on as we have is to leave behind joy, and love, and companionship, because we know it to be transitory, of the moment. We know it will turn to ash. Only those whose lives are brief can imagine that love is eternal. You should embrace that remarkable illusion. It may be the greatest gift your race has ever received."

- Lorien

Offline Barihawk

• Ninth Fleet STO Commanding Officer
  • Cookies: 225
  • BC: The Aftermath Member
    • My Released Work
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2009, 09:00:18 AM »
Is this really worth getting excited about? I mean, someone can see the Enterprise F from a telescope. Celestia is not a video game site, they obviously do not follow the same rules regarding mod use. And this Reiko person is not claiming the work as his own (which is thievery).

Offline Darkthunder

• Vice Administrator
  • Cookies: 1527
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2009, 09:10:21 AM »
Is this really worth getting excited about? I mean, someone can see the Enterprise F from a telescope. Celestia is not a video game site, they obviously do not follow the same rules regarding mod use. And this Reiko person is not claiming the work as his own (which is thievery).

You obviously know nothing about intellectual property rights.
Official BCC Discord · https://discord.gg/nJAx4HNQ2G
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Offline Dalek

• Cookies: 206
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2009, 09:22:50 AM »

Ouch. Little bit harsh on the word front...

But what "Keiko" is doing is plagiarism, whether you play with it, fly it into an asteroid or look at it from a telescope. There are still rights that aren't being covered.
"To live on as we have is to leave behind joy, and love, and companionship, because we know it to be transitory, of the moment. We know it will turn to ash. Only those whose lives are brief can imagine that love is eternal. You should embrace that remarkable illusion. It may be the greatest gift your race has ever received."

- Lorien

Offline JimmyB76

• Cookies: 421
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2009, 12:32:34 PM »
Ouch. Little bit harsh on the word front...
he is correct tho...

Offline gdata

• Legacy Files
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2009, 12:42:50 PM »
Seriously? Does this mean you always have to license your work using Creative Commons or stuff like that? I mean, if I write a novel and someone else prints excerpts of it, he also has to get permission first.

Offline Shino Tenshi

• NG|mods Founder
  • Cookies: 23
  • Aw, man...
    • NG|mods website
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2009, 12:58:14 PM »
Well he never even asked.
That's the main problem here. So it's no thievery but lack of permission/credits.
Thievery would be if he claimed the ships as his work.

Still, this is a very serious case... =/

Offline DJ Curtis

• Ship Builder
  • Cookies: 1410
  • I make ships.
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2009, 03:10:55 PM »
reiko contacted me back and said the file will be removed.  no problems.

Offline Barihawk

• Ninth Fleet STO Commanding Officer
  • Cookies: 225
  • BC: The Aftermath Member
    • My Released Work
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2009, 08:41:17 PM »

I never said it wasn't wrong. I simply asked if it was worth getting worked up over. I would have contacted this Reiko person and asked why she did not give proper credits. She meant no ill harm, she was just kind of lazy.

Then again, can you blame someone for skipping some of our readme's? I mean, some people have such lengthy stipulations regarding use that it puts EA's EULA notices to shame.

I am certainly fully aware of rights regarding this sort of thing. But you must also remember that for the most part we are modifying someone else's intellectual property based on design lineage, texturing cues, slapping the Star Trek convention on our product...

Offline Darkthunder

• Vice Administrator
  • Cookies: 1527
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2009, 11:18:26 PM »
I am certainly fully aware of rights regarding this sort of thing. But you must also remember that for the most part we are modifying someone else's intellectual property based on design lineage, texturing cues, slapping the Star Trek convention on our product...

True, however all modders "slap the Star Trek conventions" on their mods, according to Paramount's "Fair Use" policy. Essentially being that, as long as the modder doesn't make financial gains on the work, and that it's released for free, they basically don't care if modders make Galaxy Class models, Sovereign Class models etc.

Already been through a discussion similar to this on the old Filefront forums (before the shutdown/startup). A guy was argueing that he did not need permissions from the modders, because (according to him), the modders never asked Paramount.
Official BCC Discord · https://discord.gg/nJAx4HNQ2G
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Offline Starforce2

• Master Hardpointer
  • Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 882
    • Facebook
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2009, 06:14:15 AM »
Lets not argue this stuff and lets also remember to be respectfull of others when posting. This forum does have rules. Comments like asking to blow someones face off could be taken seriously by someone and violate forum rules for threats, even if the person is not a member here and may be doing something wrong to you. Since the file is removed, this thread is closed. Issue solved.
I just realised something. I've released over 300 fully modded ships for bridge commander. Bow to your master :D
Read my mod blog!
http://bcs-tng.com/forums/index.php?action=viewblog;u=1129

Offline El

• Master Hardpointer
  • Retired Administrator
  • Cookies: 123
  • Former Vice Admin
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2009, 08:12:47 AM »
Guys, this sort of thing should be dealt with via PM, and in a respectful manner.

As Starforce mentioned, please follow the forum rules, and think before you post!

El.