Author Topic: old ent-A bridge  (Read 10139 times)

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 833
  • Software Simian
    • the Programming Pantheon
Re: old ent-A bridge
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2009, 06:03:07 PM »
I think that's a lighting problem.

What specific bridge script did you use? Does it include an ambient light?
I still can't read peoples minds, nor can I read peoples computers, even worse, I can't combine the two to read what is going wrong with your BC install...

"It was filed under 'B' for blackmail." - Morse, Inspector Morse - The dead of Jericho.

Offline baz1701

• Cookies: 1434
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2009, 06:08:16 PM »
I used the Enterprise-A setup tha came with KM1.0, i just renamed the Nif and high texture folder before I pasted in my high and nif file that I renamed to match the Enterprise_a bridge nif.

The PY as this credit on it Created:   9/12/00 -   DLitwin
Whatever knocks us back, can only make us stronger.

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Software Simian
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2009, 06:22:25 PM »
lol, that's the stock header comment for the Galaxy bridge. :P

I guess my knowledge was a bit rusty, neither that py file nor the bridge hardpoint (smoke/spark emitters) control the ambient light, but the code that loads a bridge, does the console say anything?
I still can't read peoples minds, nor can I read peoples computers, even worse, I can't combine the two to read what is going wrong with your BC install...

"It was filed under 'B' for blackmail." - Morse, Inspector Morse - The dead of Jericho.

Offline baz1701

« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2009, 06:29:07 PM »
other than the crew everything including the consoles are black.

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Software Simian
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2009, 08:24:33 AM »
It sounds familair to me, I think it might (in this case) be the lightmaps, are they on the second channel?

But I think you will have to PM Mark, Sean or Legacy for this.

Offline baz1701

« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2009, 08:31:59 AM »
Ok well I'll plod away with this as a background project whilst I finish my ships off. I'm just happy I have a bridge NIF now that does not crash the game, that was a major step foward for me.

Offline Lurok91

• Cookies: 2062
  • SPMod Developer (Retired)
    • Lurok91 Mods
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2009, 12:14:51 PM »
other than the crew everything including the consoles are black.

Hi Baz, I got the same too with your model (using the TMPMiranda script) and figured it might be lightmap problem.  If I can help at all (like a beta tester :D), I'll experiment and let you know if get a better result.  Apologies if bad protocol to ask but is there any chance you can upload your textures?   Thanks.

Offline baz1701

« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2009, 06:59:50 PM »
this is the best I can get it. There is a bridge there just can not see it?

Offline Bones

• Cookies: 639
  • SPAAAAAAAAACE !!!
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2009, 07:17:03 PM »
Kirk : who turned those damn lights off ?!?! lol j/k
if you could make those textures reappear then we would have very first TMP bridge tho it's still missing proper lightmaps and animations

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Software Simian
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2009, 07:28:43 PM »
Then it's mostlikely the fact that it's missing lightmaps. ;)

Offline baz1701

« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2009, 07:30:53 PM »
any clue on how to add them?

The mesh has to omni lights exported with it, or is light maps a texture thing?

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Software Simian
« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2009, 07:58:34 PM »
This is all assuming the structure (names of nodes) is similar to the other bridges and that the bridge scripts use all the same names (so "bridge" for the bridge object and "viewscreen" for the viewscreen object).

From what I know of the process, you have to attach it's the second channel. Maybe as the luminence or emission map, but then again, I'm only a scripter.
Like I said, PM Mark, Sean or Legacy (or Viper) if you really want to know for 100%.

Offline Bones

• Cookies: 639
  • SPAAAAAAAAACE !!!
« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2009, 07:09:24 AM »
just guessing tho I've just removed all lightmaps from Enterprise B bridge and everything is just very bright :? (at least in MPE... I don't have BC installed ATM) so wouldn't it be plain white in game ?

Offline baz1701

« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2009, 07:11:16 AM »
my bridge look perfect in mpe

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Software Simian
« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2009, 07:13:18 AM »
If there are no lightmaps, and the game expects them (to bounce light off), then it will be black.

Characters, on the other hand, are manually added to the ambient light. But they don't have light maps (nor does BC expect them).

Offline Lurok91

• Lurok91 Mods
« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2009, 10:02:35 AM »
I've been experimenting with Baz's bridge and my Rotarran and  have created baked textures and lightmaps following tutorials here at BC and elsewhere but still no joy.  Interestingly my lightmaps look like standard lightmaps but they're colour not monochrome like most of bridges in BC.  Not sure why that is.  I get a nice textured bridge in MPE, but still the black bridge syndrome in BC.   If anyone knows of a really good simple hard-to-fubar lm tutorial (other than one here), let me know  :D

Offline baz1701

« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2009, 04:50:02 AM »
I too have attempted to "bake" the textures in max and have exported the bridge several times without joy.

I have not given up yet though

Offline Lurok91

• Lurok91 Mods
« Reply #37 on: April 27, 2009, 08:34:16 AM »
just guessing tho I've just removed all lightmaps from Enterprise B bridge and everything is just very bright :? (at least in MPE... I don't have BC installed ATM) so wouldn't it be plain white in game ?

Was curious about this so removed all lightmaps from a bridge and ran BC.   Bridge still shows up in full colour, though without  shadows/shading.  Looks less 'photo-real' and more cartoony.  Which suggests bridges do not need lightmaps to run ingame or provide ambient light.  So must be something else that controls lighting on models, not lightmaps.   I suspect the only people who can provide a definitive answer are those who've actually created fully functioning bridges.

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Software Simian
« Reply #38 on: April 27, 2009, 05:46:15 PM »
Did you export the bridge (from a 3d program) without lightmaps and then ran it? Or did you just remove the tga files?

Just adding a second, white, channel might just do the trick.

Offline baz1701

« Reply #39 on: April 27, 2009, 05:48:57 PM »
I followed the Bake tutorial in the tutorial section saved the mesh again as nif (3D max exporter with default settings for BC) and put it and the textures assigned in to the Enterprise-A folder and ran the game.