Author Topic: Fixing the multiple defined sounds problem  (Read 434 times)

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 833
  • Software Simian
    • the Programming Pantheon
Fixing the multiple defined sounds problem
« on: April 24, 2009, 06:25:59 PM »
As some of you are aware, if you define (accidently) define a sound "name" (for example, Ambassador Phaser, or Federation Warp) that was already defined, then BC won't play that sound anymore.

The fix is easy, we prevent that situation from happening.
The question is, how should the new code handle a duplicate name?
There are, as far as I can see, two possible solutions:
  • We ignore the new sound
  • We replace the old sound

Of course, it will be mentioned in the console, similar to DiamondBC - Projectiles, except that I can't add information regarding the originating module. For the simple reason, there isn't any.

I'm asking because I'm not someone who creates sounds, or sound plugins, and generally speaking, I don't create mods that use sound.
The real question is, what do you expect to happen?

I'll attach a poll (for a week) once I find the controls.

[EDIT] Attached the poll.
I should mention, this will be a DiamondBC thingy, even if it isn't crashing or destabilizing BC.

And it's in response to this thread:
http://bc-central.net/forums/index.php/topic,5621.0.html
I still can't read peoples minds, nor can I read peoples computers, even worse, I can't combine the two to read what is going wrong with your BC install...

"It was filed under 'B' for blackmail." - Morse, Inspector Morse - The dead of Jericho.

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 833
  • Software Simian
    • the Programming Pantheon
Re: Fixing the multiple defined sounds problem
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2009, 07:04:06 PM »
Whoops, forgot about this (was kinda expecting some response).

Considering the poll, I will have a new script ready on Sunday (I think, depends on my work load).
Until then, feel free to suggest any changes (with argumentation) regarding the loading of sounds you would want.
I still can't read peoples minds, nor can I read peoples computers, even worse, I can't combine the two to read what is going wrong with your BC install...

"It was filed under 'B' for blackmail." - Morse, Inspector Morse - The dead of Jericho.