Author Topic: JJ's Phaser (Re-Engineered)  (Read 943 times)

Offline Johnnymuffintop

• Concept Artist
  • Cookies: 7
JJ's Phaser (Re-Engineered)
« on: April 20, 2009, 05:34:28 AM »
I bought the new phaser today, and while playing with it, I felt like it needed a few things, so I made this:

Offline Dalek

• Cookies: 206
Re: JJ's Phaser (Re-Engineered)
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2009, 11:32:20 AM »
Wow, awesomes! I like the handle and the colouring on the your modified version.
"To live on as we have is to leave behind joy, and love, and companionship, because we know it to be transitory, of the moment. We know it will turn to ash. Only those whose lives are brief can imagine that love is eternal. You should embrace that remarkable illusion. It may be the greatest gift your race has ever received."

- Lorien

Offline tiqhud

• BCFiles File Poster
  • Cookies: 1067
  • San Francisco Shipyards (HPer) file manuiplater
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2009, 02:27:36 PM »
Ya , the handle loos more hand-grip friendly
TiqHud
you sir, are unable to strike, the port or starboard parts of hull , of a bovine storage facility.
Canon , what people argue exists, that doesn't really  exist.
It is all the little details, that cause headaches.
"Never judge wealth with Money"
'Intelligence has Nothing to do with Politics'
it is Late, Do you know where your Towel is?

Offline Johnnymuffintop

• Concept Artist
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2009, 04:15:08 PM »
Along with the new handle (based on a glock) I also gave it small iron-sights on the top. Because, anyone who knows weapons, knows you NEED iron-sights.
Also, I was trying to rationalize the design, make sense of what I saw and why it was there.

On my design, the metal grill between the two tips and the silver fins on the back are heat-sinks.
The blue tip is a focusing crystal, which refines the phaser beam. The red tip is an amplification matrix. You can change the power setting on the top as well as change the tip for extra power.
The highest setting of the blue tip is strong enough to heavily stun most humanoids. The red tip can vaporize rock, however it overheats REALLY quickly. Unlike typical phasers, it's not a constant beam, it's more like a very rapid pulse. The red tip takes longer to build up a charge for each shot, which is why it is typically only used for rocks, buildings, etc. The blue tip is much more practical in most combat situations.
The reason the two tips are placed the way the are is because of how the beam is created, this image will demonstrate:

Offline FarShot

• That guy with good ideas...
  • Cookies: 787
  • I'm actually making stuff! :D
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2009, 08:08:50 PM »
I think with mirrors, there is too much chance of a misalignment because of dropping it or sitting on it.  Then it would explode on firing. :shock:

Offline Johnnymuffintop

• Concept Artist
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2009, 08:27:33 PM »
I was trying to come up with a reason for the shape, still working on a more practical one.

However, if there is a risk of damage, that would make the user take greater care of it, it would be less of a "god" weapon, meaning one person could blow up and army with just one phaser.

Offline Billz

• Cookies: 45
  • Doctor who? ;)
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2009, 07:23:38 PM »
I always hated that phaser, ever since seeing it in whichever trailer it was in. To me, it just looks like those cheap plastic guns that aren't based on anything and that you would also find in a bargin bin, car boot sale or market stall. Basically, they looked like cheap knock-offs.

Your edits are not bad but it would be nice to see them rendered or somthing, just to get a 3D feel of it.
Can't wait for 2014 to start.

Offline Villain

• Cookies: 71
  • The artist formerly known as Prime
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2009, 10:00:09 AM »
I actually quite liked it myself, though if you had previous encounters with the feds you'd be able to easily tell if they were bluffing or not :P

I like your edit too mate, and mirrors... It's an interesting idea. Better than a series of tubes. :lol:

"The design is clearly ancient... Launched hundreds of thousands of years ago."

Quote from: JimmyB76
der-ner-ner-ner-ner ..... der-ner-ner-ner-ner .....
---
Quote from: Rick Sternbach, on the topic of the Galor Class' length
...Probably not, but the number I get(379.6m) could be considered ?original intent,? a term that I think I will be using from now on, and ?canon? be damned.

Offline Vanguard

• Cookies: 5
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2009, 01:38:41 PM »
They could just change the light bulb if they were bluffing.

=P

Anyway, yes... Your design looks alot more... Funky.