Author Topic: indistructible ships when using ftech multivectral shields  (Read 1250 times)

Offline anubitus

• Cookies: 0
indistructible ships when using ftech multivectral shields
« on: June 01, 2009, 09:46:42 PM »
hi,

i have a little problem with Ftech.. i added multivectral shielding to my prometheus plugin, and the 3 seperated ship parts plugins in the /custom/ships dir, and erm.. well, its practicly indistructible.. i just cant get the shields down.. :o is this suposed to be like this..?

this is the modified part in my script:

Code: [Select]
#######################################################################################
#                                                                                     #
# This is the ShipDef that adds the Ship to the game... BC-Mod Packager has           #
# automatically generated the proper ShipDef Line for you.                            #
#                                                                                     #
Foundation.ShipDef.MvamPrometheus = Foundation.FedShipDef(abbrev, species, { 'name': longName, 'iconName': iconName, 'shipFile': shipFile })
Foundation.ShipDef.MvamPrometheus.sBridge = "prometheusbridge"
Foundation.ShipDef.MvamPrometheus.__dict__["Default Bridge"] = "prometheusbridge"
Foundation.ShipDef.MvamPrometheus.fMaxWarp = 9.9
Foundation.ShipDef.MvamPrometheus.fCruiseWarp = 9.50

Foundation.ShipDef.MvamPrometheus.dTechs = { 'Multivectral Shields': 95,
    'Fed Ablative Armor': {
"Plates": [
"Dorsal Aft Ablative Armor",
"Dorsal Forward Ablative Armor",
"Ventral Aft Ablative Armor",
"Ventral Forward Ablative Armor",
"Saucer Left Ablative Armor",
"Saucer Right Ablative Armor",
"Saucer Forward Ablative Armor"]
}}

Offline USS Frontier

• Cookies: 562
Re: indistructible ships when using ftech multivectral shields
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2009, 10:17:10 PM »
When you make a ship's shields a multivectral shield it will become way more resistent because it's basically making the ship have a single shield vector, tho 6 times as strong as the normal shields and recharging 6 times faster.

So to maintain a good balance in the ship when you add multivectral shielding, you gotta tweak it's hardpoint appropriately to account for the shield changes (in the way you like it).
For a simple tweak like this, changing the shield's hitpoints and recharge rate, you can use MPE, BCUT (and it's HP tweaker option) or even manually editing the HP (tho it's not recommended). Best way (more easy and so) would be with the BCUT.
"Revenge is a dish best served cold"
                    -Old Klingon Proverb
GravityFX Download
Galaxy Charts Download

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 833
  • Software Simian
    • the Programming Pantheon
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2009, 03:37:49 AM »
I'm actually not sure if I already released an updated version of DiamondBC_RedistributeShields. :S

Please put this in scripts/Custom/Autoload/
I still can't read peoples minds, nor can I read peoples computers, even worse, I can't combine the two to read what is going wrong with your BC install...

"It was filed under 'B' for blackmail." - Morse, Inspector Morse - The dead of Jericho.

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Software Simian
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2009, 11:56:05 AM »
Please confirm if this works!

And moved to Technical Support.

*Moved*
I still can't read peoples minds, nor can I read peoples computers, even worse, I can't combine the two to read what is going wrong with your BC install...

"It was filed under 'B' for blackmail." - Morse, Inspector Morse - The dead of Jericho.

Offline anubitus

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2009, 10:09:22 PM »
yep, it worked great.. :) altho it might be weakened too much now..?

what does it do..? and how do i modify its strength..?

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Software Simian
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2009, 02:01:40 PM »
You can't have it both ways. :lol:

What it does (see the readme on the BCFiles version, I'll upload this one there later today) is make sure your BC doesn't freeze up when using a stock function called "RedistributeShields", which is used for MultivectralShielding.
I take it you downloaded it without reading?

Offline anubitus

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2009, 05:01:21 PM »
well.. yea.. i confess.. i did kno what it does, but i didnt (and still dont btw) see the link between redistribute shields and multivectral shield strength.. i do kno the redistribute shields script caused the game to crash in certain situations and that this script was made to prevent that from happening.. so u must have changed something in your script to make the multi shields weaker cos they are now with this version of your script..

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Software Simian
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2009, 05:22:38 PM »
No, my script preserves the correct shield stats, instead of some out-of-date/floating-point-error values.

Offline anubitus

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2009, 05:45:05 PM »
thanks for the help mate.. :)