Author Topic: Terminator Franchise Discussion  (Read 1934 times)

Offline FarShot

• That guy with good ideas...
  • Cookies: 787
  • I'm actually making stuff! :D
Terminator Franchise Discussion
« on: June 28, 2009, 11:16:51 AM »
Terminator franchise discussion goes here.

First topic of discussion, what do you think of TS (Terminator Salvation)?

My opinion?  Best Terminator movie yet.

Offline Nebula

• BC elder / BCC Vice Admin
  • Administrator
  • Cookies: 1129
  • KM - Mod Team Member & BC - Elder (2002)
    • 9th fleet HQ
Re: Terminator Series Discussion
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2009, 11:20:08 AM »
Wait what? How do you go from Terminator series to the latest Terminator movie...

anyway I haven't seen the movie yet....
Canon is what people argue exists on ships that don't exist.

Offline FarShot

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2009, 11:21:21 AM »
It's a thread for all Terminator discussion.  The first topic to discuss is the new movie.  Once the poll has settled, we'll move back in time and discuss the other movies, comics, etc.

EDIT-
Unless, we could make a forum section dedicated to the Terminator series, then each topic can be about a certain item.  Would that be better? :lol:

Offline Nebula

• BC elder / BCC Vice Admin
  • Administrator
  • Cookies: 1129
  • KM - Mod Team Member & BC - Elder (2002)
    • 9th fleet HQ
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2009, 11:23:53 AM »
That's not what I got from the topic opener....
First topic of discussion, what do you think of TS?

Here ya say the first topic is the whole Terminator Series... not the latest movie.

Anyway... moving on...

EDIT: Salvation.... guh NVM!!!

IMO I think it would be better if ya used the numbers not the letter abbreviations.

EDIT 2: we're in a ST forum I don't think we need another BIG sub forum for the Terminator series...
Canon is what people argue exists on ships that don't exist.

Offline Dalek

• Cookies: 206
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2009, 11:39:06 AM »
Well, lets see...the Sarah Cronnor Chron Chron Chronicles (I say it like that because it is one of the hardest things to say e.g. its a tongue twister :P) has got the axe, and I'm unaware of any more movies after T4.

And just for the record, TS = Terminator Salvation. :P
"To live on as we have is to leave behind joy, and love, and companionship, because we know it to be transitory, of the moment. We know it will turn to ash. Only those whose lives are brief can imagine that love is eternal. You should embrace that remarkable illusion. It may be the greatest gift your race has ever received."

- Lorien

Offline newman

• Cookies: 33
  • Hello, Jerry.
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2009, 12:55:40 PM »
Actually, Terminator: Salvation is the first of the 3 new movies planned.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terminator_(franchise)

I quite liked the movie. I still like T2 best, for me it's one of the best scifi/action movies of all time. I found T3 rather disappointing, and Salvation a quite pleasant surprise. We'll see what the future brings.
BTW, this thread's title is confusing, it leads to the assumption that the thread is about Sarah Connor Chronicles.

Offline FarShot

Re: Terminator Franchise Discussion
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2009, 01:06:55 PM »
According to producers and such, the Sarah Conner Chronicles are of a separate continuity than that of the last two movies.  They split after the events of T2.

BTW, the Terminator Wiki is a good source of information, similar to Wookiepedia and Memory Alpha.

Also, edited the first post and title for clarity.

Offline USS Frontier

• Cookies: 562
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2009, 01:51:22 PM »
The first movie I don't quite remember so I won't say anything.

T2 is incredible, tho the "special special extended" version (a special DVD I have in a metal casing, it has the theatrical version, a special version, and if you input a code it opens up a "extended special" version) has one continuity problem: in the end it shows John (adult) playing with his little daughter, while a old Sarah says the judgment day never happened and bla bla bla.
Which probably explains why this scene didn't make to the normal cut of the movie lol

T3 I liked too. In the whole story of the franchise it kinda makes sense, except for that anti-terminator terminator lol

T4 was good too. Good "restart" for the franchise, lets hope it keeps that way with the other ones.

Now the Sarah Connor Chronicles series is the weird thing. It is cool and all but just doesn't make sense. Because they said it happens between T2 and T3, so in a sense, you know how it is going to end. They do all they can do in the series to stop skynet and all but it'll just not matter at all...
"Revenge is a dish best served cold"
                    -Old Klingon Proverb
GravityFX Download
Galaxy Charts Download

Offline Dalek

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2009, 01:56:03 PM »
Now the Sarah Connor Chronicles series is the weird thing. It is cool and all but just doesn't make sense. Because they said it happens between T2 and T3, so in a sense, you know how it is going to end. They do all they can do in the series to stop skynet and all but it'll just not matter at all...

According to producers and such, the Sarah Conner Chronicles are of a separate continuity than that of the last two movies.  They split after the events of T2.

It's like if the director of Lost decided to bring back Star Trek with a difference. Oh wait, they already did that. :P
"To live on as we have is to leave behind joy, and love, and companionship, because we know it to be transitory, of the moment. We know it will turn to ash. Only those whose lives are brief can imagine that love is eternal. You should embrace that remarkable illusion. It may be the greatest gift your race has ever received."

- Lorien

Offline Billz

• Cookies: 45
  • Doctor who? ;)
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2009, 02:21:07 PM »
The problem with the Terminator franchise is that it has changed hands to different copyright holders so many times, that it would be a nightmare to keep everything terminator wise as good as T2.

T1 = MGM.
It?s a great opener to the franchise. Hers a video review by James Rolfe, (Angry Video Game Nerd) which pretty much sums up how I feel about the first movie.
http://www.spike.com/video/cinemassacre/3170588

T2 = Carolco
Quite possibly the best sequel ever made. I often say that action scenes alone don?t make a movie, but when they are combined with character driven writing, it?s a winner.

T3 = Columbia TriStar
I pretend this movie doesn?t exist, lol. It?s that bad. It doesn?t take the franchise anywhere new. It?s a cheaper version of T2, and the cheapness really shows.

TSCC = WB
It?s a great 'what if' alternate timeline concept but it seems to move kind of slow. Terminator is not one of those things that can be stretched out over 20 episodes, which is why I liked season 1 better because of its shortness. Again, it doesn?t really take the story anywhere but it makes up for it by just being a survival story.

T4 = WB
Good for an action flick. But has quite a few plot holes. Plus, a lot of things didn't make sense to me. For example, why would SkyNet even consider building a giant terminator to collect humans at all? In fact, the whole franchise is fundamentally flawed. If SkyNet becomes self-aware, and is super intelligent, then why bother making terminators in the first place? A few several thousand nukes would easily wipe out every human. It?s not like SkyNet doesn't have the resources. Use the first nuke attack in T3 to wipe out safety zones, then a second nuke strike from major strategic locations to finish the humans off.
Can't wait for 2014 to start.

Offline Dalek

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2009, 02:36:52 PM »
The only issue I had with TSCC was it was painfully morbid. There was rarely any jokes and it made the show drag. In one of the final episodes, Sarah plays an old travelling game with John for like 5 seconds, and it just lightened the mood so much.

- Lorien

Offline CyAn1d3

• MacDill Shipyards Design Team
  • Cookies: 420
  • RETIRED
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2009, 02:49:36 PM »
personally t2 was my all time favorite.
with the original running a close second.

t3.. yea it was good for a action flick, but meh, could have been done a bit better.

couldn't get into SCC, too damn..... BLAH, sure there were a few good episodes, but... PLUH.

i have yet to see the fourth one, so im withholding my judgement ( hahah ) on it, but i have heard good things.

now theres 2 MORE coming out?
i guess hollywood is looking more for franchises and dollar signs than entertainment value.
"get me 20 monkeys and a pound of pot, stick them in a room with a typewriter and well have a new script in 48 hours"

I came, i saw, i added a Sig.
Later gents, i have Youtube to take over.
Cy - 1-12-15

Offline martyr

• Cookies: 4
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2009, 09:27:50 AM »
terminator salvation was absolutely horrible

Offline 1DeadlySAMURAI

• Cookies: 139
  • Do'h
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2009, 10:15:10 AM »
T1 and T2 where the best ones. I like watching SCC as it was a very good alternative too T3.
I won't even touch that movie with a ten foot pole.

T4 was not a bad action movie but I just FUCKING HATE reinvented that's been going on with many movies and series the past few years. It's a shitty of saying you're not a good enough writer to continue on the original story so so lets forget everything that's happened and write something new.
I don't want any of that. It's better to forget then to reboot.

Offline CyAn1d3

• MacDill Shipyards Design Team
  • Cookies: 420
  • RETIRED
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2009, 10:17:30 AM »
T4 was not a bad action movie but I just FUCKING HATE reinvented that's been going on with many movies and series the past few years. It's a shitty of saying you're not a good enough writer to continue on the original story so so lets forget everything that's happened and write something new.
I don't want any of that. It's better to forget then to reboot.

AGREED
I came, i saw, i added a Sig.
Later gents, i have Youtube to take over.
Cy - 1-12-15

Offline newman

• Hello, Jerry.
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2009, 10:29:23 AM »
T4 is not a reboot, though.
And in general I disagree. I find that the rehashes of old ideas work a lot better when you don't try to clumsily force continuity with a decades old franchise. For me the best reboots are the new Batman movies and the new BSG. Neither tried to continue the story, they went from the start and tried using the general idea with a new, fresh perspective. Which in turn doesn't tie the director's and writer's hands to decades old canon, forcing them to add totally unbelievable plot devices that connect the new, totally modern looking movie/series with a decades old product that, by today's standards, looks obsolete and cheesy.
Terminators don't have that problem because it didn't go too far with the future, and most of the ideas still work from today's perspective. Apart from somewhat cheesy effects in t1, it all works fine together, and the idea of robots from the future is just as plausible now as it was 25 years ago.
I will agree however that I'd much rather see a completely new idea then a reboot.

Offline FarShot

« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2009, 09:08:17 PM »
I don't get what's wrong with TS.  It maintains continuity, doesn't it?

Offline newman

• Hello, Jerry.
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2009, 04:33:47 AM »
It does. I was speaking about reboots in general, salvation isn't one. I quite liked the movie, actually.

Offline Billz

• Cookies: 45
  • Doctor who? ;)
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2009, 04:53:22 AM »
I think we can pretty much all agree that Salvation was a hell of alot better than Rise Of The Machines.
Can't wait for 2014 to start.

Offline newman

• Hello, Jerry.
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2009, 05:07:43 AM »
I think we can pretty muh all agree that Salvation was a hell of alot better than Rise Of The Machines.

Absolutely.