Author Topic: Can someone help me out here? *Spoilers are likely*  (Read 561 times)

Offline mc6415

• Cookies: 0
Can someone help me out here? *Spoilers are likely*
« on: July 03, 2009, 10:01:42 AM »
Well I was wondering, with this new parallel universe it was said by prime Spock that it changed the moment Nero appeared, that would be when it attacked the Kelvin, however this would mean that the first contact that was seen in the film First Contact was the one that occurred in both universes, however would this not imply that Picard and co somehow managed to co-exist in both universes, and that them going back in time to stop the Borg was actually them crossing into a parallel universe? As they'd have passed from the one that prime Spock came from to a time where both universes existed at the same time in the same state, does this make Picard the first person before prime Spock to go to two different universes? I hope that made some kind of sense, this has been playing on my mind for a while and I can't make sense of it.

Offline Kirk

• Cookies: 139
    • My Released Mods
Re: Can someone help me out here? *Spoilers are likely*
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2009, 10:57:31 AM »
Don't we have a Trek XI thread already?

Anyway, the best way to go about this question is to not think about it. The writers didn't, why should you? Plus, temporal mechanics makes my head spin.

Offline Shadowknight1

• Cookies: 71
  • Star Trek Into Darkness
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2009, 11:47:07 AM »
Kirk's right, the easiest way to come to any conclusion about this conundrum is to just not think about it.  Time travel is always confusing, no matter what universe.

To Boldly Go...Again.

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 833
  • Software Simian
    • the Programming Pantheon
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2009, 02:26:51 PM »
Simple, the parallel universe appeared the moment Nero travelled back in time, so anything before the split (branch) is the same universe.

Picard'n'co travelled from one branch back into a "parent" branch that happens to be the same for both, and then back to their own branch again.

In a similar fashion, Nero would not exist because he travelled back in time, because of his actions, he would not exist.
I still can't read peoples minds, nor can I read peoples computers, even worse, I can't combine the two to read what is going wrong with your BC install...

"It was filed under 'B' for blackmail." - Morse, Inspector Morse - The dead of Jericho.