Author Topic: JJ Daedalus concepts.  (Read 980 times)

Offline King Class Scout

• Cookies: 893
  • the other half of SFRD
JJ Daedalus concepts.
« on: September 11, 2009, 10:47:52 AM »
since nobody's gonna bite on this, thought I'd have a tackle at it.

I collect the various Daedali, and was wondering idly what a JJ take on a Daedalus might look like.  I've been sketching out designs, taking an older look shot at the design (the JJ's remind me of early fifties, like just before the fin and bling era).  i've set the daed refit at the postwar era (circa 48-52, when the US companies started getting their creativity and money back).  i should have some sketches of concepts up, shortly.

i'll need some reviews mostly of the Nacelle concepts, as I'm not sure wether or not to go for the 49 ford type nacelle, or the 57 chevy type nacelle (which, i think, would make a great alternate JJ TMP nacelle design, and less complicated to poly)
OS novel fan

Coming Soon: King's Mod Tuning Shop

best line I've ever read
Me: mine [my bridges] would probably be simple to get the characters to use.  the only person that sits is the captian.
Baz: space is vast there[sic] legs will be tired by the time they get to the next planet

Offline Dalek

• Cookies: 206
Re: JJ Daedalus concepts.
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2009, 11:28:54 AM »
Technically the Daedalus would never look JJ. It came before Nero screwed the timeline up.
"To live on as we have is to leave behind joy, and love, and companionship, because we know it to be transitory, of the moment. We know it will turn to ash. Only those whose lives are brief can imagine that love is eternal. You should embrace that remarkable illusion. It may be the greatest gift your race has ever received."

- Lorien

Offline King Class Scout

• the other half of SFRD
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2009, 11:52:55 AM »
doesn't mean they wouldn't have grabbed a few back as they found them.  remember, nero pulled a wolf 359 on most of the fleet, and even placeholders would have been welcome untill more Connies would have been constructed.  there's also a whole JJverse to design ships for. :P

if only there were more cannon TOS starships around.
OS novel fan

best line I've ever read
Me: mine [my bridges] would probably be simple to get the characters to use.  the only person that sits is the captian.
Baz: space is vast there[sic] legs will be tired by the time they get to the next planet

Offline limey BSc.

• JL Studios - Co-Founder
  • Cookies: 421
  • JL Studios - Co-Founder
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2009, 12:03:12 PM »
I collect the various Daedali, and was wondering idly what a JJ take on a Daedalus might look like. 

Exceedingly ugly probably. This is the JJ-verse we're talking about after all.
MUSE!!!

Offline King Class Scout

• the other half of SFRD
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2009, 01:17:22 PM »
Ugly is in the eye of the Beholder.  i'm one of the few (apparently) americans that like the curvy aerodynamic cars that europe loves, and we had in the mid ninties.

this is what I've come up with so far
OS novel fan

best line I've ever read

Offline Johnnymuffintop

• Concept Artist
  • Cookies: 7
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2009, 01:39:53 PM »
My guess is that it looks a bit like the Kelvin, at least in hull design and overall sizing ration between primary hull, secondary hull, and nacelles. I'm working on a JJ Daedalus, mostly based on the Kelvin with an ENT flair. See as how the Daedalus is PRE-Kelvin, is should look more Kelvin-esque than like the new Enterprise. Of course, a TOS era Daedalus could be cool, as long as we see it's lineage.

Here's a REALLY early version I did, no real detail, just did it to get a feel for the color and shape. Bigger and more detailed one coming soon.

Offline King Class Scout

• the other half of SFRD
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2009, 02:02:55 PM »
I was trying for something resembling a 40's take on the Daedalus, as the JJ's are based on hot rod designs in the nacelles, and those look distinctively early fifties.

Johnny: where do you think I got the idea from?  :D one of your other designs was a Dade with JJ nacelles.  i wanted to do my own take.

besides, I'm gonna need the practice...  ;)

OS novel fan

best line I've ever read

Offline Johnnymuffintop

• Concept Artist
  • Cookies: 7
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2009, 02:27:42 PM »
Oh, woops. I thought this was a "Post your ideas" thread. *facepalm*

And where JJ did base his design of the Enterprise on hot rods and stylish cars, I think the Daedalus would still look a little early in the design, because if memory serves my well it was out of service by the late 2100's and the Kelvin was in service during the 2230's, and was significantly more "50's scifi" as JJ put it.

Anyway, sorry if I intruded upon your thread. Looking forward to your design being fleshed out.

Offline Dalek

• Cookies: 206
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2009, 03:30:46 PM »
I don't JJ said the Enterprise looked like a hot rod. KSC is just using the hot rod idea as a base.
"To live on as we have is to leave behind joy, and love, and companionship, because we know it to be transitory, of the moment. We know it will turn to ash. Only those whose lives are brief can imagine that love is eternal. You should embrace that remarkable illusion. It may be the greatest gift your race has ever received."

- Lorien

Offline King Class Scout

• the other half of SFRD
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2009, 04:31:50 PM »
Cheers.

I gotta start putting my ship ideas into a "one piece" format.
OS novel fan

best line I've ever read

Offline King Class Scout

• the other half of SFRD
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2009, 12:02:21 PM »
I'm working on a bussard appearance cap for the JJaedalus by practicing on a rather crappily skinned unhardpointed Connie.  however, the first graphic I picked for overlay looks too much like an eyeball.  it even gets a bad case of redeye when the Phasers are firing (there's a similar application on the nacelle end bulbs)

what I was originally thinking of was utterly corny.  using the refractor design from a sealed-beam headlight as a dimmed overlay.  I'm trying to get away from the cheap radial gradient I used on the Gabe.  since these will apply to the Bussards on the P-Star ships as well, i want a unifying design.  any suggestions, peeps?
OS novel fan

best line I've ever read

Offline candle_86

• Cookies: 2
  • Position Gamma Hydra sector 10
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2009, 03:50:11 AM »
Well this might give you some ideas to go on, this is the texture I built for my Buzzard on my Cannon Daedalus for SFC. Its a mechanical watch underneath a simple radial gradiant. Of course its just the outter most part the watch face ect where removed then I shurnk down that sevral times with copy and paste and got that. Here is how it looks on my model

Offline pointman

• Cookies: 0
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2009, 06:44:31 AM »
candle-86, I think your pylons are too upright on ur ship, but the bussard is very nice,

Johnnymuffintop :- I would like to build this, are you going to make more detailed views?

Offline King Class Scout

• the other half of SFRD
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2009, 08:38:02 AM »
Pointman's right.  the Nacelle pylons sit at something like 50-60 degrees or so.  yours are too upright.  the watch gear Nacelle cap, though, that's perfectly JJish.  I'll try that on my Gabe.
OS novel fan

best line I've ever read

Offline candle_86

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2009, 11:34:21 AM »
lol I know my nacelles sit to up right, it also joins the neck to the shpere at the bottom of the sphere, shape is daedalus but since the only cannon source we have is a toy model in siskos office it didnt bother me lol

Offline King Class Scout

• the other half of SFRD
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2009, 12:07:41 PM »
I suggest you try and get hold of a copy of "The Making of Star Trek".  the Daedeli are based on a Matt Jeffries (i think) concept sketch of the enterprise for use in the series.

OS novel fan

best line I've ever read

Offline candle_86

« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2009, 12:16:49 PM »
yes I know but its not a cannon source, and before that model was sold at its a warpsale, most daedalus drawings on the web looked like mine lol. We can call it a refit I suppose but I like mine lol

here is what my whole model looks like

Offline King Class Scout

• the other half of SFRD
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2009, 12:59:11 PM »
man, that thing looks like the nacelle Pylons would break in half in a hard turn!  that's the only thing I'd really fix.  I like the look, otherwise.  i'm used to the look of my conversion, JLStudio's original, and the Terran Empire version I've found.
OS novel fan

best line I've ever read

Offline candle_86

« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2009, 01:21:05 PM »
the connie's look easily breakable also, I read somewhere that was the stated goal, to make the connie look fragile from an engineering concept of the 20th century, I wanted to continue that idea into mine, that from where we stand today the whole thing is to fragile and would break apart making an impluse turn. Keeps some of the magic from the connie :D

But again if you want to use that texture be my guest, I have no issues with that

Offline Phaser

• Star Trek Canon Authority
  • Cookies: 231
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2009, 10:00:07 PM »
Gah.  I just had to pop my head in here and say this, because you guys are driving me nuts:

Canon:  An accepted rule or principle
Cannon: A large artillery gun that is usually on wheels

Carry on...