Author Topic: need to learn photoshop  (Read 392 times)

Offline candle_86

• Cookies: 2
  • Position Gamma Hydra sector 10
need to learn photoshop
« on: September 21, 2009, 03:33:23 PM »
Went to half price books today and bought a copy of Adobe Photoshop CS2 for 12 bucks its opened but I was able to activate and register the software after talking to adobe and sending them a scanned copy of the recipt. Now im used to Fireworks and there are similarites but not enough where I can figure this out, and please note I used to know illistrator but havnt touched it since 2003 and it was on MacOS9. So where is a good place to read up on how to work in this program, also why can I not import .png and keep my layers, does photoshop not supported layered .png, and if so how am I going to work on my textures i saved in png so I could later revise without havnt to remake, while in photoshop. Everyone told me to get photoshop and drop fireworks but now im totally lost.

Offline Vanguard

• Cookies: 5
Re: need to learn photoshop
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2009, 05:16:17 PM »
Best way, in my opinion to learn, is not to bother with tutorials, at least not at first, just play about with settings, make yourself a nice signature for forum use, post it, and let people criticize (constructively) and advise...

It takes a while... Once you've managed to produce something on your own that your proud of, and that isn't... Well easy to criticize (sorry, sounds harsh) then begin to experiment with tutorials...

Offline Armondikov

• Cookies: 21
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2009, 05:19:58 PM »
Some of these are quite cool, although they're relatively advanced.
http://www.tutorial9.net/resources/creative-bookmarks-best-of-february-2009/

You're best off just sticking "photoshop tutorial" into Google and picking whatever looks interesting to try. As with all graphics programs, it's just a case of learning where the tools are and then practice. If you're interested in drawing, invest in a graphics tablet, even entry level ones are good and reasonably priced, you don't need to go for a $500 Wacom.

As for your png issue, apparently photoshop, as it is, doesn't support png layers. But there may be plug-ins.
http://www.dreamincode.net/forums/showtopic9383.htm
"This is my Earth, and it's fine. It's where I spend the vast majority of my time. It's not perfect, but it's mine."

Offline candle_86

• Cookies: 2
  • Position Gamma Hydra sector 10
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2009, 07:28:54 PM »
Best way, in my opinion to learn, is not to bother with tutorials, at least not at first, just play about with settings, make yourself a nice signature for forum use, post it, and let people criticize (constructively) and advise...

It takes a while... Once you've managed to produce something on your own that your proud of, and that isn't... Well easy to criticize (sorry, sounds harsh) then begin to experiment with tutorials...

tried that, my issue is im carring a macromeida MX2004 certification, I took 2 years of it in school and went to there course for certification on MX and MX2004. Now Photoshop has a close interface but half the buttons dont do the same thing. Think of it like this, going from a steering whell and pedals to a joystick and throttle stick in your car

Though I also got a copy of 3ds Max9 for 30 bucks, no serial though, autodesk supplied me with one after i provided proof of purcahse, so how did I do lol. Am I ready to enter the real world of modeling