• Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 226
« on: October 09, 2009, 07:57:15 PM »

Looks kind of interesting...

Offline martyr

• Cookies: 4
Re: Avatar
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2009, 08:51:38 AM »
i was more excited before i saw the trailer.

still looks good though

james cameron ftw

Offline JimmyB76

• Cookies: 421
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2009, 12:23:29 PM »
and here i thought you were finally going to announce finally having a staff avatar, Mr. Moderator Senator lol :P

Offline Phaser

• Star Trek Canon Authority
  • Cookies: 231
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2009, 10:29:19 PM »
 :funny

Offline Lionus

• Cookies: 79
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2009, 03:24:44 PM »
yet another movie to watch.. let's see.. Planet 51, 2012, and this..
Star Trek Quad-nacelle fanboy Extraordinaire

StarFleet Research and Development Crash Test Dummie/Test pilot

"Beyond the rim of the star-light
My love
Is wand'ring in star-flight
I know
He'll find in star-clustered reaches
Love,
Strange love a star woman teaches.
I know
His journey ends never
His star trek
Will go on forever.
But tell him
While he wanders his starry sea
Remember, remember me."

Offline Billz

• Cookies: 45
  • Doctor who? ;)
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2009, 12:46:37 PM »
So I just got back from seeing this movie. And damn. It kicked so much ass!

9/10

A lot of the dialogue wasn't great and it seemed to be 'missing' a start, lol, but the visuals and overall story made this easily the best I have seen this year.

You wouldn't really be expecting to want the Na'vi achieve their goal of keeping the marines from taking the priceless mineral under their habitat tree. There were quite a few tear jerking moments. There. I said it. I got teary eyed a couple of times during a James Cameron flick. Don't judge me. :D

The final battle right near the end of the film made it worth watching.

I didn't think I would like Sam Worthington (Jake Sully) after how badly Terminator Salvation turned out. Granted, he's no-where near the level of awesomeness that was Marlon Brando or Humphrey Bogart but he's still very good.
Can't wait for 2014 to start.

Offline Villain

• Cookies: 71
  • The artist formerly known as Prime
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2009, 01:45:39 PM »
So I just got back from seeing this movie. And damn. It kicked so much ass!

9/10

A lot of the dialogue wasn't great and it seemed to be 'missing' a start, lol, but the visuals and overall story made this easily the best I have seen this year.

You wouldn't really be expecting to want the Na'vi achieve their goal of keeping the marines from taking the priceless mineral under their habitat tree. There were quite a few tear jerking moments. There. I said it. I got teary eyed a couple of times during a James Cameron flick. Don't judge me. :D

The final battle right near the end of the film made it worth watching.

I didn't think I would like Sam Worthington (Jake Sully) after how badly Terminator Salvation turned out. Granted, he's no-where near the level of awesomeness that was Marlon Brando or Humphrey Bogart but he's still very good.

BAM! SPOILERS!

Ah well, not like I was gonna go see it again anyway. Cameron better not dick up the Battle Angel movie, but after seeingall of the rubbish Avatar is.. It's just a two hour long presentation for some guys 3d design portfolio. Just didn't really move me in any positive way, shape or form... 2012 looked more entertaining tbh.

"The design is clearly ancient... Launched hundreds of thousands of years ago."

Quote from: JimmyB76
der-ner-ner-ner-ner ..... der-ner-ner-ner-ner .....
---
Quote from: Rick Sternbach, on the topic of the Galor Class' length
...Probably not, but the number I get(379.6m) could be considered ?original intent,? a term that I think I will be using from now on, and ?canon? be damned.

Offline Senator

• Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 226
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2009, 06:46:18 PM »
I thought it was beautiful.

Offline 1DeadlySAMURAI

• Cookies: 139
  • Do'h
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2009, 10:24:02 PM »
I liked it. It had many good moments. Sure, quite a few clich?s so I wasn't surprised about how things turned out.
But overall, it was a damn good movie.

And the Na'vi were cute aliens, which is good because most aliens are ugly.

Offline martyr

• Cookies: 4
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2009, 10:37:05 PM »
the end battle made it worth it.

it really was just ferngully with marines

3d is awesome btw

Offline Billz

• Cookies: 45
  • Doctor who? ;)
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2009, 10:37:30 PM »
I liked it. It had many good moments. Sure, quite a few clich?s so I wasn't surprised about how things turned out.
But overall, it was a damn good movie.

And the Na'vi were cute aliens, which is good because most aliens are ugly.

James Cameron already did ugly aliens with "Aliens (AKA Alien 2)" so I think it was a good move making the Na'vi into 'cute' aliens, lol.
Can't wait for 2014 to start.

Offline BES

• Cookies: 5
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2009, 09:50:12 PM »
This is one of the most epic movies I have ever seen..

My wife and I went to go see it, we were laughing and crying, it was awesome!

I dont think people got its message though...

Offline ACES_HIGH

• BCC Roleplay Game Narrator
  • Cookies: 54
  • while(!(succeed=try()));
    • BCC Roleplay Games
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2009, 02:56:26 PM »
I didn't get a chance to check it out in 3d but the 2d version was just so eye-poppingly awesome visually that I don't know if I could watch the 3d version without getting seasick.

Offline limey BSc.

• JL Studios - Co-Founder
  • Cookies: 421
  • JL Studios - Co-Founder
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2009, 08:05:20 PM »
Just got back from seeing this.

Meh.

The CGI was awesome, but I wasn't all that impressed on the whole.
And, to be honest, the 3D actually ruined the film for me. The inability to focus on what I wanted to focus on, pulling other things out of focus, made it feel like when I walk around without my glasses on at times. It started giving me a headache.

In all, it was by no means a bad film, but I don't think it lived up to the hype at all.

Oh, and that whole bonding through the hair thing? *facepalm*
MUSE!!!

Offline Darran

• Cookies: 19
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2009, 12:28:59 PM »
I saw this last night in 3d and here are my thaughts: (Warning May Contain Spoilers)

The basic plot is predictable from the off, not only is it obvious from the second they unviel the Avatar bodies, but it is a story that has been told countless times before, Pocahontas, Last of the Mohichans, Dances with Wolves etc. The only difference with Avatar is that the setting has been made extra-terrestrial. Even though the formula of conqueror going native isnt a new one I still found the story very gripping and enjoyable and I found myself relating to the characters and finding them believable.

Now for Avatars real achievment, I can honestly say I've never seen anything so visually beautiful in my life. James Cameron and his creative team have really set a new benchmark in terms of visuals, from the complexity of Pandoras Flora, Fauna and wild life, to the stunning post sunset neon floorshow. It truely has to be seen to be believed.

The 3D version of the film really compounds the visual beauty, while every single thing is not sitting directly on your lap, every aspect gains a new depth and quasi-realism and you feel brought into the film by the little things, such as falling leaves which you do feel are only a few centimeters away

I commented to my friend as we left the cinema, that although I thought Avatar was one of the best films I had seen in a long time, I would probably never see it again, as the small screen and DVD would never be able to do the film justice

Offline Mustang

• Resident Movie Critic
  • Cookies: 46
  • Muse Fan
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2010, 08:29:39 PM »
I saw this last night in 3d and here are my thaughts: (Warning May Contain Spoilers)

The basic plot is predictable from the off, not only is it obvious from the second they unviel the Avatar bodies, but it is a story that has been told countless times before, Pocahontas, Last of the Mohichans, Dances with Wolves etc. The only difference with Avatar is that the setting has been made extra-terrestrial. Even though the formula of conqueror going native isnt a new one I still found the story very gripping and enjoyable and I found myself relating to the characters and finding them believable.

Now for Avatars real achievment, I can honestly say I've never seen anything so visually beautiful in my life. James Cameron and his creative team have really set a new benchmark in terms of visuals, from the complexity of Pandoras Flora, Fauna and wild life, to the stunning post sunset neon floorshow. It truely has to be seen to be believed.

The 3D version of the film really compounds the visual beauty, while every single thing is not sitting directly on your lap, every aspect gains a new depth and quasi-realism and you feel brought into the film by the little things, such as falling leaves which you do feel are only a few centimeters away

I commented to my friend as we left the cinema, that although I thought Avatar was one of the best films I had seen in a long time, I would probably never see it again, as the small screen and DVD would never be able to do the film justice

^^^ That.

However for me, Avatar was the greatest film I have ever seen, hands down (Star Trek pulling a very close second). I've seen it both in 3D and not. I think that the 3D version was the best, and even though once it leaves theaters I will probably never have the experience again, I will definitely buy the film.

Offline Bones

• Cookies: 639
  • SPAAAAAAAAACE !!!
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2010, 01:42:08 PM »
Saw it. Love it. Gonna get it on blu-ray. No matter what whiners say about plot. 3D punched me into chair few times. Awesome. :D