Author Topic: Star Trek Inconsistencies  (Read 1499 times)

Offline Phaser

• Star Trek Canon Authority
  • Cookies: 231
Star Trek Inconsistencies
« on: October 11, 2009, 09:54:20 PM »
Found these videos on YouTube.  I like the end of the second one best, for obvious reasons.  :D

And yes, I know there are multiple instances in the first one that aren't actually inconsistencies at all.  They get better.

Offline Darkthunder

• Vice Administrator
  • Cookies: 1527
Re: Star Trek Inconsistencies
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2009, 02:01:29 AM »
The end of part 1:

"There are 24 decks"
"Looks like they control decks 26 upto 11"
"We've lost shielding on deck 29"
"Security to deck 29"

:P
Official BCC Discord · https://discord.gg/nJAx4HNQ2G
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Offline Daystar70

• Cookies: 10
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2009, 09:54:18 AM »
LOL THIS is the kind of stuff i was talking about! How absurd is this?? How can any COMPETENT exec on a FILM not catch the 24-26 deck goof?? It boggles my mind...and i don't think it's being nit picky at all! If someone wanted to make say,a world war 2 film about a carrier in the pacific theatre fighting Japan, and they made a similar error, world war 2 buffs or navy Vets would be all over it!

Offline Lionus

• Cookies: 79
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2009, 11:04:01 AM »
because this is done for money, not for preserving historical facts.
Star Trek Quad-nacelle fanboy Extraordinaire

StarFleet Research and Development Crash Test Dummie/Test pilot

"Beyond the rim of the star-light
My love
Is wand'ring in star-flight
I know
He'll find in star-clustered reaches
Love,
Strange love a star woman teaches.
I know
His journey ends never
His star trek
Will go on forever.
But tell him
While he wanders his starry sea
Remember, remember me."

Offline Bones

• Cookies: 639
  • SPAAAAAAAAACE !!!
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2009, 01:28:44 PM »
because this is done for money, not for preserving historical facts.
:funny QFT

Offline Daystar70

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2009, 01:36:30 PM »
Yes it is done for money but regardless, it's one thing to slip on deck numbers in 2 seperate films but the SAME one? That's like having a major Typo in a novel, it just looks unprofessionally sloppy, people proof read the scripts even if your not talking TREK, i can't recall such a Gross slip in any films that were quite THAT obvious. Okay i think there's a ton of them in the Star wars prequals lol now that i think about it..

Offline Dalek

• Cookies: 206
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2009, 01:48:36 PM »
Oh well. We enjoyed FC didn't we? xD

(And no arguing)
"To live on as we have is to leave behind joy, and love, and companionship, because we know it to be transitory, of the moment. We know it will turn to ash. Only those whose lives are brief can imagine that love is eternal. You should embrace that remarkable illusion. It may be the greatest gift your race has ever received."

- Lorien

Offline Bones

• SPAAAAAAAAACE !!!
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2009, 01:51:00 PM »
Yes it is done for money but regardless, it's one thing to slip on deck numbers in 2 seperate films but the SAME one? That's like having a major Typo in a novel, it just looks unprofessionally sloppy, people proof read the scripts even if your not talking TREK, i can't recall such a Gross slip in any films that were quite THAT obvious. Okay i think there's a ton of them in the Star wars prequals lol now that i think about it..
I woder if it is just crew ignorance or lazyness to make such mistakes but crap happens... maybe they thought that raisng captured deck count will add some dramatic depth to it  :funny it is annoying but compared to 79 or 84 or even 89 decks Enterprise A with observation deck windows facing forward and whole ship being able to travel half of Voyagers trip in less than few hours while it would take 25+ years for Voyager with miraculous speed ups  :roll
ST5 cannot be beaten in stupid mistakes count and size

(And no arguing)

Amen to that.

Offline Daystar70

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2009, 03:29:01 PM »

Yep. Though I am not as big  a fan of the TNG cast like i was when it first aired,My Fave crew goes -1.) Ds9 2.) Enterprise 3.) TOS 4.)TNG 5.TOSjjversion(i know same characters but different actor interpretation),6.) Ugh-Voyager-7 of 9 only. God i hated that show and only recently began to rewatch and enjoy some episodes but chakotay was horrible IMO. At least FC had  some fun, Troi drunk was hilarious. :funny

Offline Bones

• SPAAAAAAAAACE !!!
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2009, 03:53:20 PM »
chakotay was horrible
for a maquis he acted like a true officer following regulation etc. b'lana and tom acted more like a true rebels and were much better characters IMHO.
In Enterprise I never liked Malcom, kind of annoying chum...
In DS9 hmm... Sisko has something strange in voice I don't know but sometimes he sounds like he smoked weed and then couldn't focus on acting :/

Offline Daystar70

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2009, 04:13:38 PM »
ha ha True about Sisko he did talk rather odd, But so did chakotay, he had this very..i'm not sure the way to describe it..something about Robert Beltrams voice irritated me to no end, okay to clarify, i did not care for the Voyager CREW, i liked many of its "episodes" such as "timeless" and almost any where 7 of 9 was the focus and the Borg. The EMH and seven were great together, I liked the early days when Tom paris had a "i don't give a damned" attitude, it was realistic, the Kazon were probably the worst idea for a bad guy alien race ever invented, and why oh why did 90% of the aliens have just a wierd bump on their nose or forehead to be "Aliens"? Species whatever that number was was okay but forgettable, They did a great job with Borg stories BUT the problem i have with modern Star trek is the technobabble, you can tell theyre making stuff up to sound plausible and it really is lame how they would just magically "get inspired" to "modulate this" or "triangulate this tetyion wave this" it was SO boring to listen to!! They need to do what the new JJ film did right and go back to the "less talk more show "way of doing things. It's not that scientific explanations are not interesting , but dont use them as a Dramatic piece ..ever..IMO..it really Kills it for me when they start to get a rythm of a well paced action scene and suddenly janeway or seven or harry kim would go "oh wait..i'll try reversing this blah blah blah, and hit a few console buttons and WHAM! wow! what amazing starfleet inginuity! They saved the day!  :P

Offline ACES_HIGH

• BCC Roleplay Game Narrator
  • Cookies: 54
  • while(!(succeed=try()));
    • BCC Roleplay Games
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2009, 04:28:24 PM »
actually they tried to do just that with DS9 and even the later TNG, that angle wasn't very popular with fans at the time, so when voyager came around they added more tech stuff.

Offline Bones

• SPAAAAAAAAACE !!!
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2009, 04:37:08 PM »
Yeah I felt kinda dissappointed about strange new worlds and new civilizations in Voyager, I think this show would be much more interesting if they would show that lone ship stranded tousends of lightyears from home surrounded by 'non-humanoid' life forms, even Hirogen looked friendly after all... the only species which formed really good adversary were 8479, If there were more races of this kind (crude, brutal and merciless) it would build much better atmosphere of isolation (just like in BSG)

Offline Daystar70

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2009, 05:01:27 PM »
There was ONE outstanding memory- the Voth-the dinosour  descendents- great concept, wish they did more with them, it's been suggested theyre tech is equal to the Borg,i would say if millions of years ahead theyd be more advanced..but then there is the theory of technilogical "regression" wars and religious doctrine could have caused a loss and gain loss and gain of technological advances, The krenim were "interesting" they almost seemed to be as powerful as the Time Lords in Dr who (almost) and Enterprise certainly had a Dr who influence when they introduced a future Fed ship "Bigger on the inside" (which btw a documentary i saw on some cable channel suggested that kind of physics is actually plausible as we now have a greater understanding of "dimensions" and relativity, quantum physics etc) Enterprise gets the Alien Award though hands down for the XINDI- c'mon you cannot beat the aquatic and insectoid race for REAL attempts to be alien compared to the rest.

Offline Darkthunder

• Vice Administrator
  • Cookies: 1527
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2009, 05:43:10 PM »
Enterprise gets the Alien Award though hands down for the XINDI- c'mon you cannot beat the aquatic and insectoid race for REAL attempts to be alien compared to the rest.

QFT.
Official BCC Discord · https://discord.gg/nJAx4HNQ2G
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Offline ACES_HIGH

• BCC Roleplay Games
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2009, 05:55:18 PM »
Yeah I felt kinda dissappointed about strange new worlds and new civilizations in Voyager, I think this show would be much more interesting if they would show that lone ship stranded tousends of lightyears from home surrounded by 'non-humanoid' life forms, even Hirogen looked friendly after all... the only species which formed really good adversary were 8479, If there were more races of this kind (crude, brutal and merciless) it would build much better atmosphere of isolation (just like in BSG)

unfortunatly, species like 8472 are expensive, and the technology used to produce them on a TV budget just didn't exist at the time, while CG creatures and actors are fairly commonplace now, they just weren't possible, at least not practical then, I know it's hard to imagine, but all this modern computing technology we rely on so much today was developed in the last ten years or so, 8472 was designed just at the beginning of it.

I remember reading that it took entire rooms full of the most modern PCs at the time to create those massive battle scenes on DS9.

Offline Phaser

• Star Trek Canon Authority
  • Cookies: 231
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2009, 09:12:04 PM »

Offline ACES_HIGH

• BCC Roleplay Games
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2009, 09:14:57 PM »
alot of stuff in this forum tends to do that, doesn't it. :hide

Offline candle_86

• Cookies: 2
  • Position Gamma Hydra sector 10
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2009, 02:33:50 AM »

Well think about it for a second, we had our good ones and our bad ones, but if you look at the story it actully makes sense. Kazon where freed slaves in a farily primitve region of the Galaxy, who is to say every race is either equal or better equipped than Starfleet I liked the Kazon, they did something not done, a primative race with tech about 150 years behind the times from Starfleets standpoint, but they posed a threat none the less because of there larger ships and massing of Raiders, they where also cruel and ruthless.

Malon cmon lets not forget them, good guys in there heart but there waste disposal was so damn evil lol.

Vidians, those guys where just awesome, rob your lungs i mean we havnt seen that before, I wish we had gotten to see more of them honestly.

Hirogen well they where pretty cool, like klingons but not quite it wasnt glorious battle it was the hunt they wanted, and there face made them look friendly but hid the dark truth all they wanted was your bones on there bulkhead.

Quite honestly the borg where weakest of all the aliens in Voyager, they where no longer supermen.

As for the rest of the quadrants tech level, well it was stated that the borg only assimilate new tech, if your to primitave they dont bother and as active as many regions where with the borg, id keep my tech level down also lol.

I dunno whats wrong with Chakotay to everyone honestly I liked him. He wasnt blood thristy he was senseable a new look for the Maquis he wasnt doing this to kill Cardassians, and before he resigned from the fleet im sure he was well respected. Remember he is former starfleet not some back water rebel, and he realized real fast the best option was work together, remember the Maquis war wasnt with Starfleet anyway, it was with Cardassians.

Offline Daystar70

« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2009, 03:30:14 AM »
Quite correct about the Borg, they don't bother assimilating unworthy species. The Borg are far more powerful than we have seen, the pc game " Star Trek Borg" had a good line from its ships counselar. He said something, and i'm paraphrasing, about how "True" assimilating means they adapt but not the way most think, they don't change "themselves"to suit their enviroment, they change their enviroment to suit THEM, when they need firepower they send tactical cubes, the only reason they never mounted a massive  invasion is because their collective mind looks down at us as irrelevent and more an annoyance than a real mortal threat, Voyagers destruction of their transwarp hub system probably changed that and i feel when we see them next in STO their like a rattled Hornet's nest and watch out!