Author Topic: hobbs' startrek questions (all trek universes even ones not everyone likes)  (Read 2617 times)

Offline hobbs

• Cookies: 77
can any one help me with the history and events not seen in first contact.

i me in that film we see the borg at earth when the ent-E turns up...

i have recently read that there was a 3day running battle with the borg and starfleet los 300 ships.

do we know any more?
"We are dreamers, shapers, singers and makers..." Michael Ansara, "Elric" Babylon 5 "The Geometry of Shadows,"

Offline Dalek

• Cookies: 206
Where did you read this thing about 300 ships and a 3 day battle?
"To live on as we have is to leave behind joy, and love, and companionship, because we know it to be transitory, of the moment. We know it will turn to ash. Only those whose lives are brief can imagine that love is eternal. You should embrace that remarkable illusion. It may be the greatest gift your race has ever received."

- Lorien

Offline Billz

• Cookies: 45
  • Doctor who? ;)
Just watch the series Enterprise, if you can stand it, lol.

That pretty much only happened because of what happened in First Contact.
Can't wait for 2014 to start.

Offline Daystar70

• Cookies: 10
ENterprise was a great series, sorry, it was. He is referring to events in the TNG era portion not the past. The novelisation of FC may have the answers i'm curious now myself gonna dig around.

Offline Dalek

Novelisations of films shouldn't be trusted. Although there outcomes are the same, some details differ from the films.
"To live on as we have is to leave behind joy, and love, and companionship, because we know it to be transitory, of the moment. We know it will turn to ash. Only those whose lives are brief can imagine that love is eternal. You should embrace that remarkable illusion. It may be the greatest gift your race has ever received."

- Lorien

Offline Daystar70

• Cookies: 10
True, unless its written by the creator, like when Lucus wrote SW a new hop novel.

Offline ACES_HIGH

• BCC Roleplay Game Narrator
  • Cookies: 54
  • while(!(succeed=try()));
    • BCC Roleplay Games
The FC novelization is pretty close to the movie, they did try to explain some of Cochrane and Lily Sloan's Backstorys that didn't make it into the film, but most of the details are the same.  It's not quite as different as the Generations novel, which was written with the movie's original ending, as well as other scenes that were cut.

I don't remember any details about the battle in FC, but that might have been further detailed in another book.  And the running battle certainly explains why it started way out in the typhoon sector.

Offline hobbs

Where did you read this thing about 300 ships and a 3 day battle?
here :
http://www.ditl.org/index.php?daymain=/picbattle.php?12
"We are dreamers, shapers, singers and makers..." Michael Ansara, "Elric" Babylon 5 "The Geometry of Shadows,"

Offline Dalek

I wouldn't trust that in the slightest. Particular since there's key in the bottom that says:

Yellow text = Canon source   Green text = Backstage source   White text = DITL speculation

And the 300 ships and several days is in white text.

- Lorien

Offline hobbs

I wouldn't trust that in the slightest. Particular since there's key in the bottom that says:

Yellow text = Canon source   Green text = Backstage source   White text = DITL speculation

And the 300 ships and several days is in white text.
sorry just came accross it and it inspired my question... what DID happen between the first engagement and the enterprise turning up at earth.

Offline Lionus

• Cookies: 79
a long trail of debris and frozen bodies appeared in our solar system. that's what happened.  :P
Star Trek Quad-nacelle fanboy Extraordinaire

StarFleet Research and Development Crash Test Dummie/Test pilot

"Beyond the rim of the star-light
My love
Is wand'ring in star-flight
I know
He'll find in star-clustered reaches
Love,
Strange love a star woman teaches.
I know
His journey ends never
His star trek
Will go on forever.
But tell him
While he wanders his starry sea
Remember, remember me."

Offline moed

• Cookies: 57
  • Star Trekus Fanaticus
ENterprise was a great series, sorry, it was.

Totally agree, there are plenty of people that feel a lot more than just "stand it".

Offline undedavenger

• It's simple. I reek of awesomeness, and you don't.
  • Cookies: 14
    • Official Star Trek Century Myspace!
True, unless its written by the creator, like when Lucus wrote SW a new hop novel.

Actually, Alan Dean Foster ghostwrote the ANH novelization, it just has Lucas' name on it. He's the guy that wrote Splinter of the Mind's Eye.

the Trek movie novelizations were good until about Generations. The "three day battle" thing was from the original screenplay and they tossed it out when they decided they wanted the Enterprise crew listen to it on audio. It lasts all of five minutes from the time that Troi tells Picard that they have engaged the Borg. It would have killed the suspension of disbelief to have had a montage or the dreaded "three days later" subtitle. What I want to now is, how did the Enterprise get from the Romulan Neutral Zone to Earth before the battle was over. And no, it does not appear that they were in transit three days, as Picard ordered them to battle stations before going to warp.

I hate these snafus. Thank goodness now they have Slipstream, so these quick jaunts across the quadrant make some sense.
"Books are not canon, only what you see on screen. Yes, even the horrible Voyager episode where they go past warp 10 and have crazy lizard babies."

Offline Shadowknight1

• Cookies: 71
  • Star Trek Into Darkness
The Romulan Neutral Zone isn't that far from Earth.  At maximum warp, it probably only took an hour, which might have been the transit time from the Typhon sector to Earth.

To Boldly Go...Again.

Offline hobbs

The Romulan Neutral Zone isn't that far from Earth.  At maximum warp, it probably only took an hour, which might have been the transit time from the Typhon sector to Earth.

thanks i didn't know that

the conclusion i draw from these replies is that there is no "official" back story to the events of the typhon to earth battles :( oh well i'll just have to try and re-enact it in bc lol)

Offline candle_86

• Cookies: 2
  • Position Gamma Hydra sector 10
not really but they are correct the RNZ is closer to earth than the klingon boarder lol. It stands to reason also considering Enterprise Encountered romulans less than a year after leaving earth also, though the trip to Qurnos makes less sense, given relative distance, not even the E could do it at Warp 9.98, while Warp5 new scale translates to about warp 8 old TOS/ENT Scale

Offline hobbs

Re: hobbs' startrek questions (all trek universes even ones not everyone likes)
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2009, 06:43:32 PM »
A new question:

is there a relationship to the shape of starfleet ships and the warp speed that ship is able to go?

i believe that the shape of the hull aids in making the warp field more stable and efficient, but i also believe that there has been documentation that says a curved hull is better for forming and maintaining warp fields than angular ones.

Offline bankruptstudios

• Cookies: 60
  • Xander = Host, Co-Host, Producer and Editor
    • Holo Suite Magazine
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2009, 07:55:03 AM »
The curves of a ship depends of its funchen. Look at the first extreme design, the galaxy class. The wanted to do a 24th century ship that would separate during battle and reconnect after. So the extreme curved lines for the ship had to reflect that. And after it set the standered for 24th centry design. Now look at smaller ship like the Prometheus and intrepid, curved spear shaped saucers that was designed for atmospheric flight. One could assume that elipital or TMP saucers could not make a safe entry and reentry of a planets atmosphere. SO i believe only the size of the nacelles and distance from the hull and the warp core its self would make only difference in a warp field. Jest look at the Borg,lol.

Offline hobbs

« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2009, 08:59:48 AM »
i quote from the tng: technical manual

"...the shape of the starship hull facilitates slippage into warp and imparts a geometric correction vector. The saucer module , which retains its characteristic shape from the original concept of an emergency landing craft, helps shape the forward field component through the use of a 55 degree elliptical hull planform, found to produce peak transitional efficiency."

as for the spear shapes that have been used i think or assume its the use of warp field controller software adjusts the field geometry to fit that shape. (which is less efficient due to using something to alter the shape rather than having a natural flow but the ships are fast due to advances in warp field geometry control)

Offline bankruptstudios

• Cookies: 60
  • Xander = Host, Co-Host, Producer and Editor
    • Holo Suite Magazine
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2009, 09:06:52 AM »
 :funny SHow off, :funny

That was jest my thought. But the borg have a flying brick witch does in a way prove my point. And voyager was built to land on a planet. what you stated is a way to make it work, but the over all design is about its primary funchen.