Author Topic: JJVerse + Guinan?  (Read 1015 times)

Offline Nihilus

• Cookies: 14
JJVerse + Guinan?
« on: October 22, 2009, 06:47:12 PM »
We all know that Guinan can pretty much live forever, or at least has an incredible lifespan.  We also know that she can sense when Time is not as it should be, like when she knew the Enterprise being a warship fighting off the Klingons was wrong.  So how about in JJ's universe?  She would be there in that time and she would probably sense the disturbance in the force, err, I mean timeline.  Would anyone like to see Whoopi reprise her role in a JJ adaption?

Offline Lionus

• Cookies: 79
Re: JJVerse + Guinan?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2009, 06:50:19 PM »
She has aged well for an actress, so I can't see why not. when was the last time she was seen on big screen anyway?  :)
Star Trek Quad-nacelle fanboy Extraordinaire

StarFleet Research and Development Crash Test Dummie/Test pilot

"Beyond the rim of the star-light
My love
Is wand'ring in star-flight
I know
He'll find in star-clustered reaches
Love,
Strange love a star woman teaches.
I know
His journey ends never
His star trek
Will go on forever.
But tell him
While he wanders his starry sea
Remember, remember me."

Offline Daystar70

• Cookies: 10
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2009, 10:45:17 PM »
That is a good idea, her people Btw are "el eurians" what never made any sense to me was why they would not have told starfleet about the Borg..they would have been most insistent on knowing what possible threat sent them across the galaxy as refugees. IMO section 31 must have interviewed her people,and out of panic control,,kept the threat a classified secret.

wow--you just gave me some awesome ideas to use her race as a means to add time sensitive knowledge to the Changes in my series..thanks :)

I had always intended to use the El-Eurian race in some way anyhow.

Offline Psyco Diver

• Cookies: 3
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2009, 10:48:40 PM »
Well remember she came from the Nexus

Offline Johnnymuffintop

• Concept Artist
  • Cookies: 7
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2009, 01:25:50 AM »
As much as I like the character as well as Whoopi Goldberg, I doubt she has a place in the JJVerse.

For a couple reasons:
One: As much as JJ is drawing from the other Trek shows, he's still trying to base it mostly on TOS and have it evolve from there.
Two: The whole reason Guinan could sense disruptions in the timeline was for dramatic effect and to continue the plot. The JJVerse is staying, therefore, no reason to have someone "fix the timeline".

Offline Daystar70

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2009, 01:31:59 AM »
yes, theres no "fixing" involved agreed but theres always a chance they could use her for some perspective.

Offline Nihilus

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2009, 02:15:21 AM »
Well she doesn't have to do anything like fix the time line, but she could at least play some type of role in a movie.  I think a cameo would even be neat to see.

Offline Psyco Diver

• Cookies: 3
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2009, 03:49:04 PM »
I would like to see a young Picard going through starfleet acamdy in the hell raising way he said he did, then end with him taking control of the Stargazer in the battle. But I dunno how they could change anything about that though, maybe not get stabbed in the heart?

Offline Lionus

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2009, 03:56:52 PM »
that's been done already in TNG, thanks to that meddling omnipotent pain in the backside. :roll  :funny

oh my.. *thinks of Picard in JJ Constellation*  :eek *has a crisis*

My love
I know
Love,
I know
His journey ends never
His star trek
Will go on forever.
But tell him
Remember, remember me."

Offline Nihilus

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2009, 09:32:13 PM »
Well, so far JJ's universe is still about a hundred years behind Picard and his Stargazer years so I wouldn't expect them to do anything about that anytime soon.

Offline Lionus

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2009, 02:46:23 AM »
well, perhaps they could make a show similar to Indiana Jones Junior, that tells about the early years of Picard in the starfleet. Although, they would need to avoid making it typical american teenage drama show..

My love
I know
Love,
I know
His journey ends never
His star trek
Will go on forever.
But tell him
Remember, remember me."

Offline Daystar70

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2009, 04:40:23 AM »
If they do another tv series, i would bet my life savings it is set in JJs universe. And still in TOS era. i would almost guarentee it. The success of that film introducted "THIS" star trek to a new fresh audience  generation including women, hell, i have so many friends, females, who HATED trek and LOVED this film- i can guarentee you paramount will cash in on this and push forward in this "new frontier" becausee well, IT MAKES SENSE! its simpler, less convoluted by a history that you dont have to get to know like school exams to follow- the new audience would make ratings- and success. If Old trek lovers cant accept it, it wont matter- if the new audience loves it and itsa  hit, "that" my friends, is your new Trekkie generation, and you can go with the flow, or you can complain and not watch, but you wont get your way. I for one, fully support and embrace change and this new Universe, it does nothing to strip away what the old universe did, it adds a alternative setting for stories in an alternative star trek universe. How is that bad? its not. People who say it is, are just not able to accept change. Life goes on. In 50 years tehy may remake star wars..new actors..who cares? just enjoy it.

Offline Nihilus

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2009, 05:22:37 PM »
That does sound like something they would do, but at the same time Kurtzman and Orci did the best they could to make sure the old Trek lived on.  That was why they specified in dialog that this was an alternite reality.  But at the same time if Paramount wants to they could do what ever they wanted.  It just seems like a mistake to ignore the past when the past is what the new stuff is growing off of.

I have an idea for a show (as does a million others I'd imagine :funny) which takes place in 2381.  If it could go Seven years like most of the others, then it would end in 2388 which is the year the Hobus star explodes and takes out Romulus.  And we all know that ignites Nero's attack and time traveling accident.  So events throughout the show could lead up to that.

Offline Daystar70

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2009, 09:17:57 PM »
Actually, The star went nova in 2387 :P

Offline Nihilus

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2009, 11:30:39 PM »
Actually, The star went nova in 2387 :P

Ah yeah that's right.  Well either way an extra year after the Star's destruction would give a little more insight.  What's happening with the Romulan government after Romulus is destroyed?  Does Worf live?  I would like stuff like that to be explained.  That's why we need a show set in the prime universe again.

Offline Daystar70

« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2009, 12:09:25 AM »
Worfs future is fully explained in the path to 2409 in STO, and yes, it is canon, as far as the JJ verse writers are concerned, they actually worked with the writers of STO at cryptic and made their ducks were in a row.

We do NOT need any more next generation era trek shit. It is time to move past all that. I say either go way back, or way forward with setting up an entirely NEW era of trek. do 55th century where the Federation no longer exists (andromeda was originally a roddenberrry trek universe pilot, set in a situation where the captain wakes up and has to rebuild the federation after its been utterly annhililated) have some BALLS..no civilization as lame as the UFP would survive this long. make a new government. not necessarily an Empire but, its preposterous to say the Federation lasts more than at best, a thousand years before collapsing.

Offline Kirk

• Cookies: 139
    • My Released Mods
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2009, 06:30:05 AM »
So what you're saying is that you would like Star Wreck to be redone by Hollywood? :P

Offline Daystar70

« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2009, 10:52:08 AM »
 :D LOL

Offline Lionus

« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2009, 04:46:12 PM »
now that's a scary thought. we couldn't even see the ships from all that lens flare. :roll :funny

My love
I know
Love,
I know
His journey ends never
His star trek
Will go on forever.
But tell him
Remember, remember me."

Offline Nihilus

« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2009, 07:06:25 PM »
I don't think Paramount is dumb enough to completely ignore the old Trek and start over 100%.  That's why the writers created the alternate reality to begin with.  It allows the old to continue running parallel with the new.  STO isn't 100% Canon either.  It's more like Canon unless contradicted by a future movie or TV show.  And a TV show wouldn't have to actually contradict too much of what they've already established for STO either.