Author Topic: 3DMA Coursework...  (Read 435 times)

Offline limey BSc.

• JL Studios - Co-Founder
  • Cookies: 421
3DMA Coursework...
« on: November 12, 2009, 10:55:16 AM »
One of my modules at uni this year is 3D Modelling and Animation. First semester coursework is to do an interior and exterior scene, and I wanted to show off what I've got and get some opinions on it. The brief is:

Interweb (sic) entrepreneur Jumping Jack Johnson is planning to take his on-line record store to a new level with the creation of Jumping Jake's Jook Joint VR. What was formerly a simple record store is now branching out to become an interactive virtual experience. Jake is planning to open a record store and club in a virtual world and is looking for ideas of what his premises might look like.

You are required to produce two scenes one internal and one external depicting Jake's new virtual store and club. Jake's musical preferences are for Blues Acts and Neo Swing Bands, and he is a big science-fiction fan. But, he is open to models in any style or genre, futuristic, historical, ancient or comtemporary. At this stage in your modelling careers you are not expected to populate the models with people, but you are encouraged to strive for a good level of detail and to demonstrate a knowledge of a number of different modelling tool and techniques.

Despite the fact that this is a virtual world, I wanted it to seem plausible. Given that the brief specifically says he is a sci-fi fan, I couldn't resist making a space station! I've finished my initial concept for the exterior, and renders are attached.
The idea is you arrive by shuttle or something to the top (with space for 3!), the ride an elevator down a glass tube (to admire the view) and arrive in the main section. Thats where the club area is. It's 2 floor, with the top having panoramic windows. From there, the corridors lead out to the outer ring (DS9 style) where all the actual record are, with each "arm" going to a different genre. The bit sticking out the bottom is purely for the solar panels (the blue things). Both the top and bottom panels rotate around the station and pivot so catch the sunlight wherever it is.
The main section and the outer ring are deliberately unsmoothed and edgy, as they're designed to be more modular.

I've got a fair few ideas for the interior (including a giant holographic, rotating saxophone), so should have a concept of that in a few days.
MUSE!!!

Offline tiqhud

• BCFiles File Poster
  • Cookies: 1067
  • San Francisco Shipyards (HPer) file manuiplater
Re: 3DMA Coursework...
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2009, 03:12:03 PM »
Hmm, that is a nice station.
TiqHud
you sir, are unable to strike, the port or starboard parts of hull , of a bovine storage facility.
Canon , what people argue exists, that doesn't really  exist.
It is all the little details, that cause headaches.
"Never judge wealth with Money"
'Intelligence has Nothing to do with Politics'
it is Late, Do you know where your Towel is?

Offline limey BSc.

• Cookies: 421
Re: 3DMA Coursework...
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2009, 01:05:06 PM »
Finished the mock-up of the interior.
MUSE!!!