Author Topic: 3D Max help.  (Read 437 times)

Offline baz1701

• Cookies: 1434
3D Max help.
« on: November 25, 2009, 09:12:26 AM »
Back when I was doing the TOS Enterprise MarkyD showed me how to attach a spline to another spline.

the first spline used the second one as a path and was multiplied around the path.

This is how I created the windows in the attached pic.

The trouble is I can not remember how I did it and I need to do it again.

Any ideas?
Whatever knocks us back, can only make us stronger.

Offline DJ Curtis

• Ship Builder
  • Cookies: 1410
  • I make ships.
Re: 3D Max help.
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2009, 01:49:07 AM »
loft?

Offline baz1701

• Cookies: 1434
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2009, 04:25:11 AM »
I'm afraid it was not loft.

it was simply a spline circle, and a rectange.

there was a command applied to the rectangle and then you bind it to circle and then around the circle you have the edge of the circle covered in copies of the rectangle. There is a parameter to adjust the amount of duplicates you have.

When your happy convert to mesh or poly and delete the windows you don't want and there you have it.

I repeated it for the round windows (circle rather then rectangle) and made the two outer rings the same way.

The trouble is I can not remember the intial step to get the rectangle to confirm to the circle. The original rectangle is not effected during this process.
Whatever knocks us back, can only make us stronger.

Offline limey BSc.

• JL Studios - Co-Founder
  • Cookies: 421
  • JL Studios - Co-Founder
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2009, 04:39:18 AM »
It's probably not the way you originally did it, but you could use the array tool for this. If you put the first rectangle in the right place, but with the pivot point at the center of the circle you want the windows to follow (you can change it in the Hierachy tab --> Affect Pivot Only), then open up the array tool (in Tools --> Array) with the rectangle selected. You can change the offset, rotation and scale for each new copy and the number of copies. If you click the Preview button, you can see the end result while editing.
MUSE!!!