Author Topic: Help with saucer modeling  (Read 520 times)

Offline aaron067

• Cookies: 21
Help with saucer modeling
« on: December 23, 2009, 06:33:26 PM »
I'm taking an overdue break from my warbird and decided to work on a Federation ship from the same time period.  I love the idea behind the Journeyman/Obama/NX design on filefront, but 29,000 polygons is too prohibitive for the game I'm going to work these ships into.  

So, I need a bit of expert guidance on how to begin a model totally from scratch.  I've worked my way through the tutorials and can create a circular saucer as demonstrated in the tutorial section, but this particular ship has more of a triangular saucer.  Unfortunately, I'm having a lot of trouble finding tutorials for 3ds max online that I can use for creating this type of shape.  Basically, I want to avoid what I did with the warbird, which was to begin with a box or capsule and literally sculpt the shape I wanted out of the original.  I've seen a tutorial where someone created a Galaxy-class, starting with a cylinder and extruding/beveling/scaling to achieve the right curvature of the saucer, but that didn't work all too well due to the tear-drop shape I'm working with.  It could be that I just don't know some of the details to make it work, but that's why I've come here.   :)

I'm hoping someone might have a more efficient and accurate method for creating saucers.  No need to go into a huge amount of detail; I'm just looking for some ideas or a link if necessary.  I've attached the concept design so you can see what I'm trying to replicate.  Thanks!    

Offline limey BSc.

• JL Studios - Co-Founder
  • Cookies: 421
  • JL Studios - Co-Founder
Re: Help with saucer modeling
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2009, 06:49:38 PM »
If it were me, I would create a spline, then extrude, bevel and scale.
MUSE!!!

Offline aaron067

• Cookies: 21
Re: Help with saucer modeling
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2009, 11:38:12 PM »
Thanks!  I went off to find a more detailed tutorial on using splines and found instructions to create a knight chess piece, which was incredibly helpful.  I haven't figured it the starship version 100% in my head yet, but I'm almost there.  Hopefully I'll have something to show a few days after Christmas.  Thanks again!